Whoops! Keys locked in car, Damsel saved within 40 mins!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AbbieCadabra

Car
E350CDI
at lunch today, for the first time in my 20'ish years of driving, i locked my keys in the boot when i was swapping my bags over (a girl thing! handbag to sports bag as i was off to the gym :p ).

as soon as i put the boot down, i realised the keys in my hand were the house ones & the car key was in the boot - with the doors locked...:eek:

fortunately, i had got my mobile in my hand but for some reason it wouldn't allow me to dial the Mobilolife no., 'barred from this handset/network' or something? :confused:

so i did a 'daughter in distress' call to good ol' mum & she rang for me :D . Mercedes rang me 10 mins later to tell me a nice man called Trevor would be with me in approx 20 mins.

he arrived about 15 mins later in a Merc with Customer Care (or similar) emblazed on the side, is this Mobilolife? or just from the local dealer?

anyway, he worked his magic & i was ready to drive off within about 5 mins - wonderful stuff! i nearly kissed him, but thought better of it :p

he arrived about 15 mins later in a Merc with Customer Care (or similar) emblazed on the side, is this Mobilolife? or just from the local dealer?

Mobilo.

I did that once but i had the car running and got out of the car to get something... my friend got out too and locked there side and there it was.... my 190e happily ticking over until the RAC came to get me back in.... by which time the car ran out of fuel.

Ill stand up and admit ive done that. I now make sure ive got the car opened before i do the boot opening thing.

Luckilly i wasnt far from home and sent for the spare key.

Ill stand up and admit ive done that. I now make sure ive got the car opened before i do the boot opening thing.

Nearly done it and make a point of never putting the key down in the boot now. I'll even put it on the ground if I haven't got pockets.

Nearly done it and make a point of never putting the key down in the boot now. I'll even put it on the ground if I haven't got pockets.

And then a magpie will come along and steal them!:D

Great service.

Reminds me of the time something similar happened to me. I'd just picked up my first car - Vauxhall Nova 1.3 SR - and best mate came round to have a look see - he arrived as we pulled on the drive.

When he'd had a sit in it, he hopped out lifted the handle and locked the drivers door - habbit from driving his own car. No problem, apart from:
(1) my car had central locking so all locks activated
(2) the key was still in the ignition
(3) the spare keys were in the ashtray - where the previous owner put them to make sure we didn't forget them!!

I called the Vauxhall dealer just before they closed (Saturday) and they sent a bloke with a wire coat hanger. Told me to look away, and almost instantly said "That will be £35 please Sir". Great service.

okay try this one...

wet cold night and the missus and me are coming out of the science museum to come home with our two kiddiwinks. we both pick them up to cross the road to where the car (VW toureg) is parked and i have to put the change bag down in the road to reach for the keys. unlock car and then load son 1 (aged 20 months at the time) into his seat. half way through the seatbelt i get stressed, he starts yelling in my ear and i think this is ridiculous why have i got the car keys in my mouth? i know i'll throw them on the drivers seat ready for the quick getaway...
I do that and then close door with a triumphant 'that's done' expression and the hazards flash once ... car locked with one son safely in his seat and me, wife and second son on cold wet pavement. oh carp! i must have hit the lock button during the loading son operation. only when the door was shut did the locks trigger.

Ninety seconds of panic...then i phone the neighbour (our phone in the change bag thank goodness) who holds our door key, she goes into the house grabs our second set and amazingly drives to us and the rescue. we had forty minutes of "old macdonald" through the window (he had snakes, buses and kangaroos by the time we finished) and when we opened the door he looked at us like we were bonkers and said "snack?". bless.

I called the Vauxhall dealer just before they closed (Saturday) and they sent a bloke with a wire coat hanger. Told me to look away, and almost instantly said "That will be £35 please Sir". Great service.

I arrived home a couple of weeks ago to a neighbours girlfriend locked out of her car. Them and another neighbour had been trying to get in for about an hour but didn't want to pay the £120 locksmith callout.

Wire, pliers..less than a minute..;)

I arrived home a couple of weeks ago to a neighbours girlfriend locked out of her car. Them and another neighbour had been trying to get in for about an hour but didn't want to pay the £120 locksmith callout.

Wire, pliers..less than a minute..;)

And a future career in bank robbery ;)

The guy that came to buy my ST24 managed to lock his keys in his car with the engine running.. when I called out RAC the man broke into this guys Mondeo in less than 10 seconds! Was amazing..

As the engine was running, he pulled the top of the door back, coat hanger wire on the electric window switch and then opened the door!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom