Whoops. Water puddle kills E320 W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
So I might have gone a little too fast through that puddle in order to beat the 7.5 tonner onto the single carrigeway uphill road......

So, a millisecond after I explode this puddle of water under the car, I get the BAS warning, the ESP warning and the Battery/Alternator warning all together, the COMAND turns off and the g'box won't shift up from 3rd.

I pull over and switch the engine off, the COMAND comes back on... I then turn the car off completely and remove the key. Wait 2 mins in the pissing rain and fire it back up. 5 seconds later the same 3 warnings are back and it won't shift up from 1st. I park it and wait... next attempt is the same but this time it won't let me take it out of Park.

I gave it 15 mins, if I had a 10mm spanner on me I'd have disconnected the battery for a while. I try again but have my foot on the brake as I spin the key.... engine starts and I can shift from Park, but still get the errors, plus another one I've not seen before. 'OverVoltage, seek assistance'.

So, I get it recovered to MercAid.

Any ideas?

Is the fan belt still there?

Richard

Mine wasn't after I did the same last month...

Mine did this after a big puddle (w220) all the warning lights, visit workshop etc.
Turned out to be the ABS sensor on the n/s rear wheel caused it all. Fitted new sensor, reset with STAR and BOB became my Uncle!! Cured.

Thanks for the replies. Wish I'd checked for the fan belt, I didn't. I'll bell MercAid and mention it, which they probably won't appreciate but I'll persevere.

MercAid (or MotorAid as they are now) just called. Alternator's regulator was full of water. Also both O2 sensors showing open circuits, hopefully these will dry out and be ok.

Apparently I managed to give the whole engine bay a damn good soaking, and I think I'm lucky not to have hydraulic'd the engine.

£364 later it's all hunky dory again. New Alternator supplied and fitted.

Spectacular service from Tony at MotorAid in Basildon.

I once sank a Landy in a ford which was ever so slightly deeper than I thought:rolleyes:
Had it towed out by a friend and straight away pushed the starter button.....Vroooooom off we went.
Worse was to come though when the story got out.....a DVD of Das Boot! landed on my doorstep...I still havent lived that one down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom