'Whooshing' sound when accelerating (OM651 engine, E220CDI 2012)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robaa

Car
E220CDI (S212)
Hi All,

Lately I'm getting a strange noise whenever I accelerate even slightly. First I thought of it as a hiss, like a pressure leak or something, but now I would describe it more like a whoosh, kind of like the wind noise you get when driving with a roof rack on, if that makes any sense. Sometimes it also sounds like a fan or rotor spinning.

Sitting in the driver's seat it sounds as if it's coming from the passenger side of the engine bay, but I could be wrong. I've opened the bonnet and tried to listen while someone else revs the engine in neutral, but I couldn't hear the noise at all.

It doesn't seem to correlate with revs or speed, as such, although it does seem more noticeable when driving at low speeds (or perhaps that's just when it's more audible).

There are no warning lights/messages on, and the car behaves otherwise normally.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Could it be early signs of a turbo failure? (I gather this particular engine has a bi-turbo configuration.) If so, is there an easy way to make sure, or does the turbo need to be opened up?

Cheers,
robaa

A whooshing sound usually means a split hose or broken clip to the EGR ( on Jags at least). Not sure about the OM651 engine as new to MB but I think the EGR is on the passenger side of the engine.

Roger

Check the intercooler pipes for splits. Used to happen on the Jag and Mondeo diesel engines a lot.

Sounds like intercooler pipes , had similar noise on my 2013 CLS and found the o/s intercooler pipe had collapsed and split , replaced both while I was there and now all sorted

Thanks for the replies, all.

Relieved that nobody agreed with my DIY diagnosis of turbo problem. :) Phew.

robaa

Standing in front of the engine look down the right hand side right at the bottom you will see a black boost hose. run your hand around it and if you get covered in oil that's the problem as the hose splits. Very common problem and you can buy them from most suppliers of aftermarket parts shops. To do the job yourself remove the covers under the bumper and you can gain access to the 2 clips and remove the old pipe and the new one simply clicks back on. It will take you longer to remove the covers than change the pipe.

Hope this helps

if its a boost hose split there is also a noticeable lack of power and possibly black smoke.

That's how my om651 failed and eventually threw a check engine light. Mine only had a small split to. I didn't hear any whooshing though.

What's the mileage on the car at the moment?

if its a boost hose split there is also a noticeable lack of power and possibly black smoke.

That's how my om651 failed and eventually threw a check engine light. Mine only had a small split to. I didn't hear any whooshing though.

What's the mileage on the car at the moment?
Sorry for the late response.

I've not noticed any lack of power, certainly not what you might describe as 'noticeable'. Also no smoke of any colour.

It has around 127K miles on the clock.

Cheers,
robaa

Sorry for the late response.

I've not noticed any lack of power, certainly not what you might describe as 'noticeable'. Also no smoke of any colour.

It has around 127K miles on the clock.

Cheers,
robaa
I’ve got a similar sound (could be the same) on my C250. Same engine? I’ve asked on the forums, but so far no definite conclusions. Seems worse when engine cold, but still audible when fully hot, but definitely louder on acceleration and when engine is under load. Only had the car two months and due to lockdown in Wales, haven’t had a chance to really go for a long run to try it.

Its best to check all your hoggers quarterly.

The intake manifolds are bad for leaking from a snapped bolt on the Sprinter and Vito, not sure if cars suffer the same? Best to have the intake system pressure tested.

Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone. I've now had this sorted, turns out it was the charger hose — looks like this, 50 cm or so of reinforced rubber. As if someone had put a kitchen knife through it, there was a 4-5 cm long clean cut in the middle. Hose replaced, whooshing sound gone. :) Wasn't even terribly expensive, and certainly far less so than what I was fearing when I thought it might be the turbo itself.

Cheers,
robaa

thumb.jpeg

Great news, had the exact same pipe fail on mine. I noticed a big loss in power to. Good result

Great news, had the exact same pipe fail on mine. I noticed a big loss in power to. Good result
It's funny you say that, I didn't notice any power loss before, although now that I've had the hose replaced, it does seem like the car might be a bit sprightlier than before (or maybe I'm just imagining — the placebo effect and all that!). :)

robaa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom