Who's got Air Con in their home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Buddy of mine who is quite handy installed his himself in the office we built in his garden.

The pipework came pre-charged.

I have 5 at Cyprus. Replaced one during the summer of 2019 for €450, labour included. £1200 is the best quote we got here. I have a portable Electriq here in the UK which I don't find that noisy or at least not in comparison to the wall mounted ones. I would keep the compressor as far away from windows due to the noise they produce

Buddy of mine who is quite handy installed his himself in the office we built in his garden.

I saw a few last year that were self install and pre-charged. They were tempting and I'm competent and doing things like this but at the time I hadn't done any research and didn't know if they were any good or reliable

I saw a few last year that were self install and pre-charged. They were tempting and I'm competent and doing things like this but at the time I hadn't done any research and didn't know if they were any good or reliable
He’s never had any problems with his. In fact, they’ve been installed twice.

Regarding self-install:

You need to evacuate air and moisture from the pipework as part of the commissioning process, so you need to think about how you are going to achieve that (the pump required is far from cheap). Also, the refrigerant represents a significant burn hazard if not handled correctly. Personally, I would use an F-Gas qualified engineer to do the install - which is who you'll end up calling if you have an issue with the installation not working as expected anyway.

If you're still interested in the DIY route, there's a good guide here:

Not sure if this helps @bob6600 price includes fitting

Package Includes

• Panasonic 4.2kW KIT0TZ42-WKE Air Conditioner
  • Virtual Survey
  • Installation by a Fully Qualified F-Gas Engineer
  • 7 Year Parts Warranty
  • 15m of copper and cable
  • Additional R32 Refrigerant (where going over 7.5m)
  • Condensate pumps included where required
  • First Annual Service

Not sure if this helps @bob6600 price includes fitting

Package Includes

• Panasonic 4.2kW KIT0TZ42-WKE Air Conditioner
  • Virtual Survey
  • Installation by a Fully Qualified F-Gas Engineer
  • 7 Year Parts Warranty
  • 15m of copper and cable
  • Additional R32 Refrigerant (where going over 7.5m)
  • Condensate pumps included where required
  • First Annual Service
I did see the Costco ones, they were on HUKD. The comments generally pointed out that the labour element was too high however as a package they look quite good. They have a Daikin too. It is over budget but Costco is a back up plan if I don't find one elsewhere and don't tell the wife how much it costs lol.

I guess I could park the car up for a month, would save that in fuel :banana:

Regarding self-install:

You need to evacuate air and moisture from the pipework as part of the commissioning process, so you need to think about how you are going to achieve that (the pump required is far from cheap). Also, the refrigerant represents a significant burn hazard if not handled correctly. Personally, I would use an F-Gas qualified engineer to do the install - which is who you'll end up calling if you have an issue with the installation not working as expected anyway.

If you're still interested in the DIY route, there's a good guide here:

Thanks mate. I will have a read anyway but I'm 99% sure I will get it installed by a professional.

I did see the Costco ones, they were on HUKD. The comments generally pointed out that the labour element was too high however as a package they look quite good. They have a Daikin too. It is over budget but Costco is a back up plan if I don't find one elsewhere and don't tell the wife how much it costs lol.

I guess I could park the car up for a month, would save that in fuel :banana:
Yes I guess it’ll be cheaper to buy the unit elsewhere but for the simplicity it’s nice to have an ‘all included’ option too :)

Been having a read about these,

People who know about these things which is better?

LG, Panasonic or Mitsubishi?

@bob6600 says they install for £350ish in Midlands
Would be under £900 all in
That looks good but the only thing missing would be the home automation side. It does have an app but I want to be able to link it to my Google Home

which is better?

LG, Panasonic or Mitsubishi?
When we had our system installed (actually, I checked earlier and it was done in 2007 - doesn't time fly!), the general consensus seemed to be that Daikin & Mitsubishi were perhaps marginally better than Panasonic - though all three were excellent - while LG was considered to be inferior. But that was 14 years ago and things change, and our LG multi split system has worked fine in all that time.

That looks good but the only thing missing would be the home automation side. It does have an app but I want to be able to link it to my Google Home
Ah I see.

This system looks cheap @John for a multi room setup.

It claims to do 4 rooms and has 4 internal units included... not familiar with the brand though. Claims 9000 BTU per room.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you have to have air con installed by a registered gas engineer now unlike a few years ago.

That’s exactly what we have: a 4-channel outdoor unit to which we initially piped two internal units.

Yeah, exactly that - a 4 channel Mitsubishi external unit.

I'd do a single split system if I was certain we only wanted one.

This system looks cheap @John for a multi room setup.

It claims to do 4 rooms and has 4 internal units included... not familiar with the brand though. Claims 9000 BTU per room.

Thanks for that.

I think with that kit though I'd always have some concerns about when it is likely to go pop!

Sometimes you can end up buying twice and paying more than you ever needed to (as per post #20).

I also remember being a bit more up on air con 20 years ago and we'd need more like 12000 BTU/h for the rooms being cooled.

I've already been talking to a qualified installer who has sized up the the whole system based on room dimensions and how many blowers are likely to be on at once.

I know it won't be cheap but we intend to stay here for a few years so we will get the value out of it.

Now I am not pi55ing it down the drain in an AMG, I can divert it to a more worth cause!

I put one in a garden room at home bought from Cool Easy. The room is now currently fitted out as a gym (but under used) Room is about 12'x14' and the little unit can heat & cool the room, Iirc it is a panasonic and came with pre-charged pipework for self installation.
A couple of years ago we decided we needed air con in our kitchen/lounge/diner, a room approx 8.5m x 9m. Couldn't find a self install unit large enough. Was working on a site where the client had found a "one man band" air con installer & he was fitting a split unit to the bedroom in this 1 bed farm building conversion and another split unit but with a ceiling cassette to the main living/kitchen area. Got talking with this guy and he said he could fit a 10kw split Mitsubishi unit in our room for about £1600.
Took him up on his offer. Although he technically fitted the system ok, his attention to detail was poor. System works well & if we leave internal doors open it will cool the whole of the ground floor.
Wish I had known at that time that you can get external units which could serve more than one internal unit as we desperately cooling upstairs also. House is well insulated and when it heats up it really retains the heat. Can't currently see a method of installing a split system as the first floor is rooms in the roof and the roof is hipped all round with no access to the eaves void.

Can you expand on this?
Internal unit was to be fitted centrally over a window and as I was working with him I made sure that that happened. For aesthetics I wanted the external unit centrally under the same window & drilled holes ready for him to fix down to patio. Pipes from internal unit were supposed to come through wall, be bent horizontally then vertically down beside the window, be bent back close to ground level into the external unit.
He didn't want to do that so he moved the external unit off centre with the window to avoid one of the bends (as if bends are difficult in small bore soft copper pipes). He then cocxed up the bottom bend and the external unit had to be raised up of the patio by about 40mm.
Hole through wall for pipework was about 60/70mm diameter. When he had threaded the pipes through he mad good the hole by stuffing some pipe insulation around the pipes.
Shoddy workmanship.

Does anyone know if both internal & external AC units are individually connected to the mains?

Or is the internal unit fed power from the main external one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom