Who's got Air Con in their home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They usually get the power from the outside unit. That’s not to say always.

Coincidentally I was an after sales engineer with Daikin in the mid 90s. They seem to have a higher than normal rate of condensers leaking these days but are still a good choice.

I’ve had a look and a local AC fitter is offering the 3.5KW Mitsubishi Heavy Split System fully installed for £1000. Seems decent.

Does anyone know if both internal & external AC units are individually connected to the mains?

Or is the internal unit fed power from the main external one?
Varies.
Our little one has power to the internal unit which feeds the external unit.
Our 10kw Mitsubishi has the power to the external unit which feeds the internal unit.

I’ve had a look and a local AC fitter is offering the 3.5KW Mitsubishi Heavy Split System fully installed for £1000. Seems decent.

Yeah, that sounds about right from the quotes I've seen.

What does the panel think about this one? The room is only around 12.5m2 and so this will do round double that. It has smart integration and wifi.

What does the panel think about this one? The room is only around 12.5m2 and so this will do round double that. It has smart integration and wifi.

Seems a bit expensive as the Mitsubishi ones are £500 but I suppose this is ‘smart’?

ps Bob how much are you paying for installation please? (Pm if preferred ;))

Last edited:

What you want is to have similar temperature in linked rooms and 7000btu is just enough for that one room of 12.5m2. Moving from airconditioned room to one not cooled can be quite stressful and can give you all kind of health issues (headaches, dizziness, running nose etc). 7000btu would be a perfect match for something like garden office shed or a garage but it’s too weak for habitable space.
Depending on your floor plan 9000btu-12000btu are usually the appropriate ac units for flats/houses.

Seems a bit expensive as the Mitsubishi ones are £500 but I suppose this is ‘smart’?

ps Bob how much are you paying for installation please? (Pm if preferred ;))
I think yes it's more expensive but it's because of the 'smart' functions. Cost wise, I haven't spoken to him recently but a year or so ago he was quoting around £1000 for a normal unit to be fitted (similar to your quote). He is not someone who would rip anyone off, very honest but I will get a proper quote from him.

What you want is to have similar temperature in linked rooms and 7000btu is just enough for that one room of 12.5m2. Moving from airconditioned room to one not cooled can be quite stressful and can give you all kind of health issues (headaches, dizziness, running nose etc). 7000btu would be a perfect match for something like garden office shed or a garage but it’s too weak for habitable space.
Depending on your floor plan 9000btu-12000btu are usually the appropriate ac units for flats/houses.
Thanks for the input. It is only going in the bedroom as unfortunately most of my time is spent there. The room is slightly bigger but I have excluded the fitted wardrobes. Im a bit confused, haven't I linked a 12,000 BTU unit?

I think yes it's more expensive but it's because of the 'smart' functions. Cost wise, I haven't spoken to him recently but a year or so ago he was quoting around £1000 for a normal unit to be fitted (similar to your quote). He is not someone who would rip anyone off, very honest but I will get a proper quote from him.
Can you pm me his details please

What does the panel think about this one? The room is only around 12.5m2
9000btu or ~2.5kW would be fine for that size of room, but the unit you linked to will throttle down anyway so you’ll just be paying for extra capacity you don’t really need.

It’s a bit like putting a 60,000btu boiler in a house that only needs a 40,000btu boiler. It will work fine, but you’re paying for a bit of extra capacity you don’t need.

3.5kW is a good size.

For a quick quote on a single unit supplied and fitted look at Boxt. They have an online quote system. They can’t do multi-split yet, sadly.

3.5kW is a good size.

For a quick quote on a single unit supplied and fitted look at Boxt. They have an online quote system. They can’t do multi-split yet, sadly.
For the price BOXT quoted for a 3.5kw Samsung unit, I could get 2x equivalent power Mitsubishi units fitted by a local independent fitter.. :)

9000btu or ~2.5kW would be fine for that size of room, but the unit you linked to will throttle down anyway so you’ll just be paying for extra capacity you don’t really need.

It’s a bit like putting a 60,000btu boiler in a house that only needs a 40,000btu boiler. It will work fine, but you’re paying for a bit of extra capacity you don’t need.
Thanks mate. I know the one I linked was a bit overkill, the one below is 2.5kw and 9,000 BTU covering 14m2. I would have preferred something inbetween but they only do the 2.5kw or 3.5kw. This is the one below and the price difference is £100

I don't have AC in my house but on hot days, I frequently nap/work from my C class, whether I'm at home or elsewhere. I don't know about normal petrol/diesel cars but the AC on my C350e runs off my hybrid battery and even if the battery isn't fully charged up, I can still get quite a bit of time with the AC on and the engine never comes on.

12,000 BTU unit available at Screwfix & Toolstation for £299
Send us the link Abs. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom