who's not looking forward to Xmas?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by kalvin928, Dec 10, 2013.

1. kalvin928

kalvin928 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 E63 Performance pack
    Well I'm really not... all my family of wife, kids, father & mother are all off to India. and I have to stay due to work.. I am at a tether to see what I can do to pass the time..and most ideas seem to solely involved with the car... there is only so much beer, food and films you can watch? thought about imposing myself on relatives, but would feel odd one out as they would all their respective families there. Anyway that's my grumble.. just seeing hows its going to be for everyone else out there?:(

2. dog68

dog68 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes s500
    Im going to do what pleases me, as I don't drink, i'm often left out anyway, so do what you enjoy! i'm going to tinker with my car :)

1 person likes this.
  3. developer

developer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 S
    We love it - the house is all decorated and my good lady does the most fabulous tree, which I'll post on here closer to the time.

In your position I'd to whatever you'd like to do, but can't when the family is around.

Just don't get arrested :cool:.

4. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    We're at the inlaws, which means too much drink and at some point rows and bothers. The sister-in law can also rise from OTT to completely OTT on booze, but she conks out shortly afterwards.

Still it's a nice break and I'll enjoy the family after Christmas day, and we will at least have the caravan to escape to for some peace on Christmas Day.

5. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC

You think that you have problems?

I was considering buying ma'am a horse to replace the one that had to be destroyed earlier his year, if I do then how the heck do I wrap it?:eek:

1 person likes this.
  6. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    Tastefully with only a bow, or with lots of paper and tape? I reckon getting it to sit quietly under the tree will be the bigger challenge...

7. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I think I need to source a bigger tree!!;)

8. Satch

Satch Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
    Being invaded by the in-laws this time.

I recall this being talked about at great length but I have absolutely no recollection of ever saying words to the effect of:

"Yes! What a splendid idea!

Let's have you aged, always in bed by mid evening half deaf mother who moans all day about anything plus her idiot fawning second husband to stay throughout.

Even better, we could then import your sister & her husband for Christmas just to fill up every spare room before swapping them out at New Year for your mega God-bothering other sister and her appalling selfish git of a husband who I have always disliked but now loathe.

What could possibly go wrong?"

8 people like this.
  9. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    Your other half finding this thread? :p

12 people like this.
  10. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    I don't mind the whole event, but hate Christmas Day itself.

My missus has taken over the role her mother used to have, and her family come to our house on Christmas Day. She barely gets to speak to anyone as she's buried in the kitchen for the entire day (partly because she over-caters by about 200% - even today she's out now on her second shopping trip of the day) and I don't really enjoy seeing her work or having to entertain her family for the day (although, to be fair, I'd hate entertaining mine even more). Bah humbug.

11. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    We did the visits to family when the kids were very young but now we like the kids to wake up in their own beds at christmas to get their presents etc.

This year I'm doing the cooking - quite looking forward to it - we've recently moved into the house we are renovating (still work in progress) so it will be nice to have a great christmas in it.

We visit/have the visits from family either just before Christmas or between christmas and New Year.

12. Darrell

Darrell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
    Car:
    A Jaaaaag, 2016 Dacia Duster and a 2004 Carrera (996)
    Always loved Christmas.

These days my parents are divorced and family are all over the place and so there are always rows about who go where/ who will be there etc etc.

Easy decision for me though, next tuesday I fly to Athens and then onto Skiathos until January 4/5 depending on flight availability.

I haven't seen my wife and daughter for 5 weeks so looking forward to getting back. They also have a new puppy.

13. OP
    OP
    kalvin928

kalvin928 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 E63 Performance pack
    sounds lovely:D

14. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    Tesco do them neatly packaged as value burgers?

15. Satch

Satch Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
    I have already made my views entirely clear.

No.1 and No.2 sons have managed to limit their exposure to the fiasco by finding a fair number of subsequent engagements.

16. Charles Morgan

Car:
    Last Christmas when I cooked for nine, having the entire family to stay or drop in on the day, I got flu (proper flu not manflu) and retired to bed having sunk a magnum of good old Burgundy that these miserable poopers didn't want to try. The next 4 days were hideous. That was better though than a few years before when there was a huge argument on the day, so I jumped into my Porsche and drove 250 miles home to an empty house.

This year I may simply have a day on my own. I don't mind the boozing, it's the false bonhomie (and the lousy telly) I can't stand. Bah humbug squared.

17. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Charles

Absolutely priceless!

I do however think that there would be a terminal sense of humour failure if I presented these and said I had replaced the horse!.

A friend, who is an equine vet mainly dealing with racehorses and eventers was asked by someone recently how much the horses are worth.

He stopped and thought for a moment before replying "well if I give them the all clear then anything from £100,000 upward" If I don't then about 50 pence a kilo on the bone"

18. Charles Morgan

Car:
    I'd quite like to try making horse salami, but I'd have to start with a Shetland to avoid making too much.

Buy her a My little Pony or a My large Shire horse (depending on your Missus' stature) and wrap that as a little proxy for Dobbin.

1 person likes this.
  19. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    Sounds like you need an escape Caravan!

20. MCFastybloke

MCFastybloke Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '95 300d.BMW330d
    I don't care for the fuss but enjoy the time off work,we usually try to get away,this year is the Loughborough canal narrowboating, log burner,scrabble et al.
    Hotel in the lakes for new year with family.
    It just seems to be all about consumerism now.

Tags: