Whos wearing Winter wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
I'm considering getting a set of winter wheels for my car (BMW 320d M sport) and was wondering what peoples experince of theirs are.

My daily commute is the M1, M25 and a few back roads and i want to improve my cars traction during the winter months and not get stuck in this years snow like every other BMerc owner!

If I take into account that my rear tyres need replacing and I was going to buy a set of snow socks a set of winter wheels are only going to cost me an extra £150. Is it worth doing?

cheers

Chris

It is worth it.Specially if you don't want to get stuck while snow.I always have two sets winters and summers-handy.

BMW dealers will supply a winter wheel set for about £600-£700. They are specced for the 320 etc and are 16" steel with winter tyres. Similar can be bought a touch cheaper privately from here (or for a bit more specced with alloys) Car Tyres, Van and Alloy Wheels | Tyremen

Winters will be better in snow/ice and if you get very cold/wet roads so are worth the investment if you have the funds imho. They will also last longer and be much less hassle than snow socks if you fit them from November 'ish' to March 'ish' (temp dependent).

That said I'm not bothering with them this year for the C220 as I don't feel I'd get enough use out of them to warrant the expense or the hassle changing/storing. This year is nothing like the last two winters so I'm happy to stick with the 'summer' tyres and just park the car up the odd day or two should we ever get snow/ice like last year. I'll have another look next year.

Just had my winter tyres fitted on second set of alloys and wheels swapped over. No hassle and relatively cheap. Tyres purchased on line from Oponeo and were delivered by courier within a couple of days of order being placed.

BMW dealers will supply a winter wheel set for about £600-£700. They are specced for the 320 etc and are 16" steel with winter tyres. Similar can be bought a touch cheaper privately from here (or for a bit more specced with alloys) Car Tyres, Van and Alloy Wheels | Tyremen

Winters will be better in snow/ice and if you get very cold/wet roads so are worth the investment if you have the funds imho. They will also last longer and be much less hassle than snow socks if you fit them from November 'ish' to March 'ish' (temp dependent).

That said I'm not bothering with them this year for the C220 as I don't feel I'd get enough use out of them to warrant the expense or the hassle changing/storing. This year is nothing like the last two winters so I'm happy to stick with the 'summer' tyres and just park the car up the odd day or two should we ever get snow/ice like last year. I'll have another look next year.

thanks for that. It does seem like the set of genuine BMW 17" alloys on Ebay already fitted with winter tyres for £400 looks like a bargain.

My car also has terrible traction in the wet and I'd just feel happier with a set of winter tyres.

thanks for that. It does seem like the set of genuine BMW 17" alloys on Ebay already fitted with winter tyres for £400 looks like a bargain.
My car also has terrible traction in the wet and I'd just feel happier with a set of winter tyres.

Ask about the depth of the tread on the winters as they are considered spent at about 4mm I think. Sounds a good price for genuine BMW's though. If you needed to check the spec of the wheels this is the place to ask (just incase you are not already on there): BMWLand: BMW Forum

A 'winter set' of wheels to swap to is ideal and the correct set up should make you a lot happier in the colder wintery conditions. :thumb:

I have just put 4 michelin alpin (£640 17-225-45) on our Z4 using refurbed wheels off ebay (£220).

The wheels are a darker colour so are not showing the dirt as much and it feels great (and quieter) on wet and cold roads. I will let you know if it was really worth it once it snows.

No, the E55 is still wearing summer tyres, I am however looking for a new daily driver which will be getting used if the weather turns nasty.

I put them on my car a month or so ago. Thus I guarantee a tropical winter:)

Brand new winter Pirellis on the SL from tomorrow.

The CL will stay on summer tyres all year round while the Volvo will continue to have Pirelli Scorpion M+S tyres all year round.

Mic

I put Goodyear Ultragrip 8's on the wifes MX5, of course the weather has been great since then :)

I have never used them once, been driving since 1975 and never got stuck once and that is true. Also not shy at going out in bad weather just take your time and be steady..George..

Of course it is. I don't know how I would have managed this last month! :D :dk: :thumb:

good point :eek: but weather tends to get worse before it improves and I would like some additional grip during the winter.

I've got Nankang SV2's on mine(225 45 R17) now in their third winter, have racked up nearly 10k on them in the past two years, not even half worn yet. Only cost £88 each! Worked well in all conditions, well worth the money :)

My C-Class has worn wellies for 12 months now so I've been ready and waiting ages.

Mrs D's ML has worn wellies since she rolled off the line.

Brand new winter Pirellis on the SL from tomorrow.

The CL will stay on summer tyres all year round while the Volvo will continue to have Pirelli Scorpion M+S tyres all year round.

Mic

All done.....ready to rumble.

Mic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom