Why 63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdrrco

MB Enthusiast
Car
X218 CLS500 AMG BlueEfficiency Sport Shooting Brake - name almost as long as the car... & W202 C200
Who here has an extensive knowledge of MB history?

I noticed recently that one of the MB LeMans racers was number 63. And there have been also, of course 6.3 litre engines in many of the top models from the 1970s (or even 60s?) until very recently, plus 63 is still used as an AMG model designation.

So is there any particular significance to 63, or mercedes-benz-celebrates-25-years-from-le-mans-24-hours-victory-photo-gallery-82368-7.jpgare they just coincidences?

Saving up for a meal for two. Only six to go.

The 63 car was one of 3 SAUBER MERCEDES C9's in the Sports prototype class for the Le Mans 24 hr race in 1989. The cars were numbered 61,62, 63 ---- Ironically cars 61 and 62 started at the head of the field but it was car 63 driven by Stanley Dickens, Jochen Mass and Manuel Reuter that finally won- which is why its always the one that's pictured.:cool:

Last edited:
....but just maybe it's my fault:dk:

See post 302

The C9 engine------A twin turbocharged M119 5.0 litre V8

sauber-m119engine-jpg.500242

The C9 engine------A twin turbocharged M119 5.0 litre V8

sauber-m119engine-jpg.500242
Very pretty I'm sure, but what has that to do with the question?

Let Ken Tyrrell explain... it's a nice story...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm trying to work out how wide the engine bay must be to accommodate those manifolds and turbos on that M119.

I'm trying to work out how wide the engine bay must be to accommodate those manifolds and turbos on that M119.
image-asset.jpeg

virtually outboard !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom