Why a B service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuart1

My 07 B180, is showing its C service is due, its only done 15500 since new and only 6500 in the last year. Contacted the dealer for a price, only to be told that the message is wrong and it actually needs a B service and that will be £480 please!! The dealer is maintaining thats its not the mileage that counts but how old it is, it had an A service last year so its a B service this year! Does anyone know if this is right (my service book is in the car at the garage -for other work) and is the price about right?

On all new MBs, the Assyst/on board computer is set up to prompt a service at the specified mileage interval or yearly; whichever comes sooner

On all new MBs, the Assyst/on board computer is set up to prompt a service at the specified mileage interval or yearly; whichever comes sooner

Yes every year or 15,500 miles whichever comes soonest. The letters A, B and C are far less relevant than in the past. Nowadays, the diagnostic equipment runs the checks and tells them what jobs need doing.

Last edited:
Yes every year or 15,500 miles whichever comes soonest. The letters A, B and C are far less relevant than in the past. Nowadays, the diagnostic equipment runs the checks and tells them what jobs need doing.

Rumour has it, the STAR machine is linked to MB bank account and puts addition jobs on when more funds are needed.

Is that right? My GL320 is a year old in Mar, has 6700 miles on it and has never been serviced. The ASSYST computer is indicating a B service due in 9000 miles, which going by current mileage will be when I hand the car back to MB in Mar 10.

So if what you say is true, the service indicator is going to change to service due NOW in Mar this year?

Is that right? My GL320 is a year old in Mar, has 6700 miles on it and has never been serviced. The ASSYST computer is indicating a B service due in 9000 miles, which going by current mileage will be when I hand the car back to MB in Mar 10.

So if what you say is true, the service indicator is going to change to service due NOW in Mar this year?

I think you may find that as you approach a certain time it switches from mileage to days .....

That is what has happened to my Jan 08 reg ML. Went from showing 6000 miles to service in 20 days at the begining of this month.
The May 07 reg S class (serviced for the first and only time in June last year at 22k miles) will allow me another 10k miles or 330 days! (depending if it gets used much or not).
Mercedes changed the service back to 12 month based from some time late 07 reg cars.:mad:

I think it's a fantastic system but from reading numerous posts about the service schedule there seems to be some confusion in the dealers about it.

Dave​

That is what has happened to my Jan 08 reg ML. Went from showing 6000 miles to service in 20 days at the begining of this month.
The May 07 reg S class (serviced for the first and only time in June last year at 22k miles) will allow me another 10k miles or 330 days! (depending if it gets used much or not).
Mercedes changed the service back to 12 month based from some time late 07 reg cars.:mad:

Blimey, I hadn't budgeted for a B service on the GL this year! Wonder how much that will cost. I am minded to take it to someone Like Olly at PCS. It wont affect Mobilo as it is still under the manufacturers warranty (I think) and I am not going to own the car beyond Mar 10 so the fact that it hasn't got an MB history isn't something I am worried about.

Although I've recently placed an order for a new A180, I was originally set to buy one last September - that is, until I discovered the cost of servicing.

On the day I was set to sign the order I called on two separate Mercedes servicing centres. Both quoted around £280 for the A Service and £480 for the B Service. Subsequently, I cancelled the order.

However, I've since called on the MB national servicing booking line (based in Manchester) and have been quoted £190 for an A Service and £285 for a B Service.

That's much more palatable.

MB National Servicing Booking Line??

I've not heard of that before.
Do you have anymore information as that may be of great interest to a lot of folk?

Thanks.

I've not heard of that before.
Do you have anymore information as that may be of great interest to a lot of folk?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

I thought it was only for MB Retail dealers, ie those operated by Mercedes themselves (London, Birmingham and Manchester).

I only ever had to use it when dealing with MB Retail, and never the franchise dealers.

I could easily be wrong.

Welcome to the forum.

I thought it was only for MB Retail dealers, ie those operated by Mercedes themselves (London, Birmingham and Manchester).

I only ever had to use it when dealing with MB Retail, and never the franchise dealers.

I could easily be wrong.

Thanks for your welcome. I've been a lurker here for so long (and an occasional poster on another, similar, site) that I didn't even notice this was my maiden post.

I drive passed a MB Direct every working day so, if these are what the previous poster referred to it may be worth me making some enquiries.

Thanks for your welcome. I've been a lurker here for so long (and an occasional poster on another, similar, site) that I didn't even notice this was my maiden post.

I drive passed a MB Direct every working day so, if these are what the previous poster referred to it may be worth me making some enquiries.

MB Retail (ie not a franchise dealer) will be the MB Direct sites, plus the MB dealers in that area - a full list can be found on the following links:

http://www.mercedes-benzlondon.co.uk/:
http://www.mercedes-benzbirmingham.co.uk/
http://mercedes-benzmanchester.co.uk/

Note they don't feature "of" in the same way franchised dealers do.

For example, MB Retail sites in Birmingham are Birmingham, Solihull and Tamworth, plus MB Direct.

Blimey, I hadn't budgeted for a B service on the GL this year! Wonder how much that will cost. I am minded to take it to someone Like Olly at PCS. It wont affect Mobilo as it is still under the manufacturers warranty (I think) and I am not going to own the car beyond Mar 10 so the fact that it hasn't got an MB history isn't something I am worried about.

I don't know the service details for GL, but most Mercs now alternate A & B - if that's the case then you should only need an A service but you might be expected to get a B service before you return the car as it will then be 2 yrs old.

However, I've since called on the MB national servicing booking line (based in Manchester) and have been quoted £190 for an A Service and £285 for a B Service.

My local dealer, MB Chester, which is owned by Inchcape has been sending me postcards and advertising in the local press for at least the last 2years with prices very similar to those.

I don't know if they're available at every Inchcape dealership, but the postcards appear to be sent out by the group, rather than the local dealership.
http://www.inchcaperetail.co.uk/DealerLocator/Franchise.aspx?Franchise=Mercedes-Benz

I don't know the service details for GL, but most Mercs now alternate A & B - if that's the case then you should only need an A service but you might be expected to get a B service before you return the car as it will then be 2 yrs old.

ASSYST definately says B service due next, as the first service.

Although I've recently placed an order for a new A180, I was originally set to buy one last September - that is, until I discovered the cost of servicing.

On the day I was set to sign the order I called on two separate Mercedes servicing centres. Both quoted around £280 for the A Service and £480 for the B Service. Subsequently, I cancelled the order.

That's much more palatable.

spinaltap

check out this - it may help

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=677109&postcount=1

Last edited:
As I said in prevoius post, my ML becomes due for it's first A service at one year old. The car has been booked in, and unpromted, I have just got a quote from Robinsons in Norwich for £202 inc vat.
Maybe my dealer has finally got the idea! It seems competetive with other 'special offers' and it is local! The credit crunch and competition might be creeping into Norfolk!;)

A Question.....

I know that if one owns a Merc it isn't necessary to have it serviced by the main dealer to maintain the warranty - but would it be necessary to have it serviced by the main dealer network to maintain mobilio cover - I think it is but am not sure having read the above comments.

Oh and a second Q...

If one uses PCP - is main dealer maintenance a requirement of the contract?
Surely the GMV is based on a full main dealer service history.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom