Why always to the right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Borys

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 cl500
I don't know if it is only me but I think it's mad.
Well, why most of the drivers will always go to the right lane?Motorway doing even 60 right lane-even with rest of empty,in the town always to the right and then floor it or do 30.Do they don't like the other lanes or is it that thing with leaving in a rush....I want to be first.....or I'm the king of the roads.Ironically when closing to the next traffic lights- the driver who flew by speeding for example got there in the same time as I did LOL
What U think guys?

Too many ignorant people still believe that motorways have a slow lane and a fast lane (and a middle lane). They think "I am doing 70mph, therefore I should be in the fast lane".

Or they can't make up their minds and always hog the middle lane:mad:

Incredibly poor road discipline which seems to be getting worse.

Similar but different.
I occasionally travel past a big supermarket
The road has two lanes but also has a filter lane near the store.
About 80% of the time drivers wishing to get into the filter lane straddle the centre line as if they need a wide sweep to go down the filter lane. They get very close to cars in the right hand lane but appear oblivious to their actions

I get so frustrated by people sat in the middle lane when they can easily move across to the left hand lane. Undertaking is an offence so to overtake we move across 3 lanes of motorway, overtake, and pull back in - to the inside lane. Invariably the numpty sat in the middle lane stays there oblivious to the inconvenience they put everyone else through.

Is it an offence not to return to the left lane when it is safe to do so? It should be.

This seems to be a strangely British thing. Drive a lot through France/Italy/Spain. Almost never see anyone hogging the middle lane. If there is its almost always a UK registered car.

It's a very British thing... I tend to sit in the "slow" lane at 70mph undertaking everyone until a lorry comes up, when I need to slow down, hop into the middle lane to overtake the lorry at ~60mph and then pop back into the slow lane at 70mph...

I reckon most drivers think they are in Europe, and the right lane is the slow lane...

It definitely seems to be worse on the journey home than on the way into work on the roads I use.

On the way in, there is an overall usage of all lanes.

On the way home, there is no one in lane 1, a few in 2, more in 3 and 95% in 4.

Of course, the issue of not being able to undertake is valid.

You can have a situation where one or two people cannot be bothered, and end up causing this as they are waiting for them to get out the way.

Not pulling over to the left should be an offence and enforced.

Undertaking is the product of poor lane discipline, and not vice versa...

"i'm turning right at the roundabout in 10 miles time, therefore i need to be in the right hand lane of the dual carriageway" - usually results in cars passing you on the left and scaring the crap out of you - and my answer to that... TOUGH CRAP BUDDY, you sit in the wrong place and don't get out of the way, expect people to pass you on the wrong side

"i'm turning right at the roundabout in 10 miles time, therefore i need to be in the right hand lane of the dual carriageway" - usually results in cars passing you on the left and scaring the crap out of you - and my answer to that... TOUGH CRAP BUDDY, you sit in the wrong place and don't get out of the way, expect people to pass you on the wrong side

What you're on about??
Who's talking about roundabouts????

"HANGER LANE GYRATORY SYSTEM" undertaking, overtaking, lack of lane discipline, racing between the lights, its all here.:D

What you're on about??
Who's talking about roundabouts????

He's talking about dual carriageways and other 2 or 3 lane roads which lead eventually up to a roundabout in the UK.

Some people will get into the outside lane on the basis they will be effectively turning right at the next roundabout.

However, people get into the outside lane, even if the roundabout is not for another mile or more which means no one can overtake and have to undertake to get passed - which is illegal.

Is see it most mornings on a dual carriageway and it makes me laugh.

To not be able to get into the correct lane within the final mile of a roundabout means you are thick, or incompetent, or both.

thank you :) .... John has just explained my example perfectly.

of course, should we remove the roundabout from the equation above, and thus the right turn scenario, then these fools have no reason to be sitting out there. Some do it simply to make people slow down., i've seen it, and heard them boasting in the pub about it .... and when i see their car stoved in at the back, i'll be sure to laugh my ass off, ****tards.

Others i have seen sitting in the outside lane of the motorway seem to think they are going the speed limit therefore must need to be in the "fast lane" {facepalm} and then are completely shocked/mortified/disgusted that they have top move out of the way

hypothetical scenario(s) - and reasons i have heard for sitting out in the outside lane, that could very well be plausible - hypothetical only because the speed involved is likely to be higher than the current limit for these reasons to apply.....
1. It's safer, because numpties in the left hand lane, or joining from the slip road do so considerably slower, or pull out with little warning causing an incident due to wildly different speeds.
2. It's actually safer to not be constantly changing direction/lane at speed, especially in the wet.​

To not be able to get into the correct lane within the final mile of a roundabout means you are thick, or incompetent, or both.
LOL ... that reminds me of nottingham, pitched up there one day, reading road signs and trying to read the markings on the road (another dumb idea) and arrived at one of those extended roundabouts, in the left hand lane, when i actually needed i think the 4th or 5th of the 5 available (i'm sure it was 5, but might have been 4) .... anyway, that was probably my best drag racer impersonation that day, cut those traffic lights perfect lol managed to get where i needed to be whilst half the others were still looking for 1st gear .... good job really, cause i would have been well and truely losst had i had to take the exit for the lane i started in !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom