why and how????? not happy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SJL

Car
2001 E CLASS 320 CDI
:mad: I took my car to the merc aproved body shop last week to have a new door and boot lid under corrosion warenty and whilst it was there i asked if the could touch up a few other things for me they repainted the door two front wings and the corner of the front bumper . i went to collect the car about 30 mins ago and i could not get the car to go past 2nd gear it will change up from first to second but will not carry on through the gears , it will not kick down nor will it work on tiptronic at all ifyou pull up it seems fine when in drive with the foot brake on and the car stoped it pulls away fine and the power is still there ???? so i have left it with them , but have a very strong feeling the bullsh*t will start 2moro as the car had 3.1 miles on the clock extra as i zero'd it when i left there.
(car is 320 cdi auto tip)
what could they have done for it to be like this????
any ideas or help would be ideal as i suspect they will be calling tomorrow

I doubt they could have done anything. Probably just co-incidence.

probley due to low battery voltage as the car has been moved around a lot without a run, stores a fault code of low voltage to the valves and put the box in limp, good charge up and should be fine,

This happened to me recently, in my 210 320cdi auto tip. Car would not start and needed a jump, after which I had to get home in limp mode. In that instance, it required a new battery. Suspect the low battery explanation could explain it. Might be something as simple as them leaving the lights on. Not sure why they would need to drive it three miles though. It's not like body work requires a test-drive afterwards.

thank you that may help , did it register a fault code on the dash / or in diagnostics . did it impair the power cos the power is all there on mine( when i say that i mean it revs all the way up it doesnt seem to be restricted).

cheers stuart

i see this a lot on the 210s when that batterys are on there last legs, stores a fault code in the gearbox control unit of low voltage to the valves, sticks the box into limp, engine side shouldnt fill affected, just the box refusing to change correctly, normal thing is to give it a run, get the voltage up in the battery, restart and it clears!!

that sounds the case , do you think that could be why its done a few miles to try to boost the battery? would a booster pack have damaged any thing as i hear they damage ecu's quite often?

The power was not impaired. AA jump started it, then left. I then drove home, rapidly discovering it would not change gear. Battery was flat again next morning, so had to call them out again. Checked battery, and found it was not retaining charge, so put a new one in. Car immediately drove fine again. There were initially several fault codes, and a warning that the BAS was not working, but you can get all sorts of these messages after changing a battery. Warnings quickly disappeared, and all was fine.

I know this is a nuisance, but it is probably not a sign of impending doom.

that sounds the case , do you think that could be why its done a few miles to try to boost the battery? would a booster pack have damaged any thing as i hear they damage ecu's quite often?

not on the 210s, jump starting them is pretty safe!!!!

thank you all thats put my mind at rest a lot , and i now have some very good explanations of why it has done this i just hope its the case and the manager of the spray shop is honest and forthcoming??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom