Why are CLS`s so cheap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you know of a way to get round it I would love to hear it, I just can't see any way that it works out cheaper for the individual, not saying it isn't less hassle or easier, but without wangling the books and sticking a deal with the employer elsewhere I just can't see it, but maybe I have missed something?

But anyway, that wasn't really the point, the point was I don't see how the government can justify taxing an individual more money than the car actually costs a month to buy and run.

I also think that we will start to see hundreds of Mercedes C class diesels run as company cars now they have got the tax bands done on the C220cdi etc. as low as BMWs, before it was a no brainer, £25 a week for a BMW 320d auto or £60 a week for a Mercedes C220cdi auto, you had to really want the Merc.
But now the Merc is just as cheap I think we will see loads more being ordered, especially when you can lease one cheaper than a Passat.

Merc CLS = Austin Princess :D

Had one of those years ago in black, 2200 special edition, company car, drove down to the South of France could have been the 70's and when we arrived it blew up and caught on fire. What a load of cr@p that was best one was the Austin 2200S had that for 3 years but keep burning the auto clutch. My CLS500 is nothing like any previous car I have owned including a 2005 Jaguar S Type R.

Had one of those years ago in black, 2200 special edition, company car, drove down to the South of France could have been the 70's and when we arrived it blew up and caught on fire.

hahaha! :D

1. I used the word jealous once, in one post. And if you read that thread and see the comments being made i do think its use was justified.

2. Whilst it really is irrelevant, the car is all mine. As are the other cars i own, and as have all the past cars I have owned.

This is also why I can fit private plates and special order wheels and "buy a demonstrator".

In terms of merc this history is

1997 - C180 5 years old
1999 - C180 3 years old
2000 - E320 5 years old
2002 - E270 my first new car
2008 - E55 AMG
2011 - CLS 350 Sport

I have been around for some time as a Merclover and trying to respect the opinions of others.

Leasing is becoming more popular however and some individuals do pay themsemves £500-£700 per month for a CLS. We have a newbie just joined that is doing that. Its alot of money whatever way you look at it. And it is a fact that 3 months worth @ £1500-£2,100 would buy a good solid old school Merc.

So what if they are leasing. But I am not, just so you don't get me confused with someone else you have never met.

You might also be anxious about those that lease but actually its not even their money,i.e. company car money, and perhaps this is the nub of it. And to an extent there may be some mileage in that. But don't forget they have some choice in how to apply their car allowance and they do pay tax on the benefit in kind that results.

Marc
I would not like to lease a car or have a car on the never never. If I can`t pay for it outright, I can`t afford it, which is why my cars I buy are a little older, but as long as they look good I can accept that.

gizze.

I've taken a car allowance since they removed the tax break on high mile drivers.

I've even driven a CL500 on the opt-out scheme and almost broke even.

I tend to buy a good used AUC low miler at 3 years old, keep it for 12 - 18 months and p/ex. My car is paid for and I can save £250 per month to put to the next car and pay for out of warranty repairs.

It's cheap motoring and each year HMRC sends me a cheque.

Last edited:
Can you really hire a car to that spec as a private user for £450? Inc vat? That would be £450 of taxed income too - and don't forget the insurance, servicing and road tax. Also there are many company car drivers who have no real business mileage. Sometimes company cars still make sense, certainly does in my situation, Im sure others can do their own sums
Have a look through the various leasing sites-there are some amazing deals at the mo if leasing on a private contract is what you want to do,you can include servicing/maintenance for a additional cost.

gizze.

I've taken a car allowance since they removed the tax break on high mile drivers.

I've even driven a CL500 on the opt-out scheme and almost broke even.

I tend to buy a good used AUC low miler at 3 years old, keep it for 12 - 18 months and p/ex. My car is paid for and I can save £250 per month to put to the next car and pay for out of warranty repairs.

It's cheap motoring and each year HMRC sends me a cheque.

That is what I do too.
I also have a company X1, that is only 13% BIK and makes sense as I only pay tax at 22% as I get paid a dividend.

I have found that buying 12 months old with around 10k miles on it and a saving of around 35% has been the cheapest motoring so far.

535d sport touring cost me around £2500 for 18 months and 30k miles, Audi A6 avant cost me around £1800 in interest as I got back what I paid for it after 18 months and 38k miles. Sometimes it is worth borrowing money and paying the interest if it means you are able to get into a car at the right point of the depreciation curve.

A good example of this is a mate wanted to buy a 320d sport touring.
He had £20k to spend at the absolute max, but ideally around £18k.

He went and looked at a 2008 car which was quite nice, leather, nav, bluetooth and storage pack, it was £19950 with 37k miles on it.
However they could have done hime a brand new 61 plate from stock for £23k, which was a saving of 26% on list. Obviously new model just released .

However, he would not buy the new one as it was over budget and would mean having to finance £3000 of it.

Personally I think he is an absolute muppet for not financing.
In three years time when he has added 50k miles to that car, the new one would be 3 years old and 50k miles, where as the one he bought will be 6 years old with 100k miles on it.
I bet the 3 year old one will still be worth around £13k where as the 6 year old one will be £6k max.
He is also going to add the warranty on his car after the years used car warranty runs out, he will be over 60k miles so it will be around £60 a month for all inclusive, so he may as well have just financed that extra £3k over 3 years.

He thinks he has been sensible and I think he has been a muppet.
I don't know which one of us is right, I guess it doesn't really matter, you just do what you are happy with.

He thinks he has been sensible and I think he has been a muppet.
I don't know which one of us is right, I guess it doesn't really matter, you just do what you are happy with.

In that instance I think you are correct for the reasons stated. The additional £3000 would have cost him about £1200 per annum more, but obviously the car would be worth more at renewal time.

Cars are now cheaper new due to over supply, which I can only see getting worse as more manufacturers join the affray.

Bizzarely Mercedes and BMW seem to be leading the pack as far as heavy discounts, they must be struggling more than other manufacturers.

They need to stop paying the big bonuses for quantity, it is killing residuals.

When you can make more money for selling 100 new cars in a quarter at a loss, than you can for selling 95 with a decent margin it just doesn't make sense.

Haha, very true.

When people realise they will lose 50% in the first year they will refuse to pay the over inflated new prices, so cars will be sold for more sensible money.

I'm all for box shifting.

Why are CLS`s so cheap

'Cos they're so ugly?
Totally disagree! To me, it's an iconic shape, best large saloon out there!

Last edited:
I wanted to hate the CLS as it appears to give less and cost more.

I've driven two and both of them changed my opinion of this car.

They are comprehensively better than the 211s on which they are based. They have a nicer interior and all variants drive a lot nicer with better body control and more precise steering.

Bar headroom they really are "perfect" in every way.

Perfect for shortarses, like me, then. Actually the small windows can be a pain, the rear seat leg room isnt great (come to think of it I've never sat in the back, so I guess its not really so much of a problem :D). The depreciation has been eye watering, I reckon that by about the 20th year of ownership it should have just about evened out.
On just about every other score I cant think of anything I would dissuade me from buying a CLS.
After 2 years I still look back as I walk away and think "Wow, thats mine".
Over the time I've owned it I've moaned about the interior rattles and the delay in acceleration but, honestly, I cant think of any other car that I would like to replace it with. Overall its still the best compromise, for me anyway.

Strange, I'm 6'2 and don't have a problem with the CLS. It's not as roomy as my 211, but I can sit comfortably in one...

My ideal car and I'm waiting patiently for the right one to turn up! :)

Perfect for shortarses, like me, then. Actually the small windows can be a pain, the rear seat leg room isnt great (come to think of it I've never sat in the back, so I guess its not really so much of a problem :D). The depreciation has been eye watering, I reckon that by about the 20th year of ownership it should have just about evened out.
On just about every other score I cant think of anything I would dissuade me from buying a CLS.
After 2 years I still look back as I walk away and think "Wow, thats mine".
Over the time I've owned it I've moaned about the interior rattles and the delay in acceleration but, honestly, I cant think of any other car that I would like to replace it with. Overall its still the best compromise, for me anyway.

^ As above & if i'm being totally honest the only fault i can find with the(original)cls is the nearside wing mirror is hard to get just right due to the sloping shape of the door/pillar:)

was driving back from Cheltenham to London along some A roads last night ..

Sport II on, with nothing on the roads except leaves, the V8 and the exhaust for company. Radio definitely off.

what fun.

I absolutely love my CLS.

Phenomenal power, speed, handling, comfort and elegance.

And of course high fuel consumption .. there is always a price for pleasure.

some new pics:

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom