Why are CLS`s so cheap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have a look through the various leasing sites-there are some amazing deals at the mo if leasing on a private contract is what you want to do,you can include servicing/maintenance for a additional cost.

No not actually interested myself, just attempting to point out the holes in the argument. I really did want to have an E Class this time around, but I was so disappointed when the 212 came out and I saw the designed-by-three-separate-commitees profile that i knew I'd have to look elsewhere. Very pleased with the CLS tho, despite its hilariously bad ergonomics it's a lovely, comfortable car to drive, with a great engine. It basically has all the benefits of an E class without the challenging looks and with a high class interior. I love it!

The CLS is like marmite, you either love it or hate it. Without a doubt as with other comments in this post, it is all about colour, and when I was searching, Black and Silver were completely excluded from my list as I think they are the two worst colours for the CLS.

I am pleased with my colour combination, and when cleaned, everyone comments on how good the car looks:

18.jpg

13.jpg

20.jpg

The 18in 5 spokes are also a must, the other wheels just look wrong!

^Now that's pure magic. What is the external colour please.

Looks Black?

Last edited:
was driving back from Cheltenham to London along some A roads last night ..

Sport II on, with nothing on the roads except leaves, the V8 and the exhaust for company. Radio definitely off.

what fun.

I absolutely love my CLS.

Phenomenal power, speed, handling, comfort and elegance.

And of course high fuel consumption .. there is always a price for pleasure.

some new pics:

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Superb colour and a lovely looking car.

trapperjohn said:
^Now that's pure magic. What is the external colour please.

Looks Black?

It's actually Carneol Red. Here is a better pic of the colour:

image-3716036578.jpg

The other pics were taken after an 8 hour enhancement detail and what was at that point an overcast day!

Thank you. That is the colour I need. Another 5 years depreciation on 320cdi's and they are in my budget:bannana:

I've owned my CLS for a few weeks now, and other than the horrible fuel consumption, and the fact the satnav thinks I spend 100% of my time in the North Sea its an absolute pleasure.

A guy I know is selling one in that colour! Fully loaded '56 reg 320cdi with cream leather. Gorgeous car! (I prefer black, but it's a cracking car for someone who loves that colour!)

Can anyone tell me why the CLS mark seem to be such a bargain, are they problem motors.
When I was trying to track down my CLK I currently own, I noticed some CLS`s on the market at some silly low prices, and I noticed last week a 2008 320 Diesel CLS, with 44,000 miles on Autotrader for £7,000 which is about half what I think its worth.
Can anyone tell me are these problem cars, as I think these look very nice ?

Reggie

I now know the answer to this now, it seems they are good cars after all, and that people seem to love or maybe not, and you need the cash waiting so you can pounce on that CLS bargain, which is my intention when I get tired with my CLK W209, maybe in a few years time.
I had no idea I would open such a big debate, although it has gone off my original subject but still very good reading all your views, so keep them coming !!

Reggie

I recently bought mine for £8.5k (see sig) with only 72k, full amg bodykit and service history. The car even now still looks like a +£25k motor. I think the low price reflects the silly fuel economy more than anything.

what you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20140517_153802.jpg
    IMG_20140517_153802.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I would imagine its the same reason any large engined car including AMG models are cheap for what you get. Whether fact or not, people perceive Mercs as being significantly more costly to own, run and if they go wrong, break the bank. But as you've said the low mpg doesn't help when a lot of people are counting the pennies.

All the better for those that want to buy one though ;)

Grats on the CLS. Very nice car. If they weren't so huge or I needed such a big car I would have one :)

Last edited:
I would imagine its the same reason any large engined car including AMG models are cheap for what you get. Whether fact or not, people perceive Mercs as being significantly more costly to own, run and if they go wrong, break the bank. But as you've said the low mpg doesn't help when a lot of people are counting the pennies.

All the better for those that want to buy one though ;)

Grats on the CLS. Very nice car. If they weren't so huge or I needed such a big car I would have one :)

Yea I just think, you only get one life and cant go thinking what if this and that you know. Enjoy is what I say. I was looking at a Porsche Cayman S 2006, apparently severe engine failure even on new models, so failures can happen to any car and if you have the dough, I would get what you want and enjoy when you can. A wise man once told me, you cant bring it with you (money!)

Thanks John Jones, I think I got a gd deal, it just had the electro control plate thing replaced (1.3k fitted) which is responsible for alot of the transmission issues with the W219. Hopefully another 60-70k in her.

You're welcome. And just to make you feel even better I've a quote here in front of me for some fencing etc and it's more than you paid for the CLS!

Yea I just think, you only get one life and cant go thinking what if this and that you know. Enjoy is what I say. I was looking at a Porsche Cayman S 2006, apparently severe engine failure even on new models, so failures can happen to any car and if you have the dough, I would get what you want and enjoy when you can. A wise man once told me, you cant bring it with you (money!)

I tend to agree, thats why I'm on my 2nd AMG :rock:

thanks, I cant wait to get my first AMG, I must admit I think I would wet myself as the 306 bhp is mind blowing to me. Its a gentle ride if you want her to be, but boy when that pedal hits the floor, its take off.

Why are CLS`s so cheap

'Cos they're so ugly?

I wouldn't want to say that for fear of offending members who own these cars ; suffice to say I'm not a fan of their looks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom