Why are remap prices so secretive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToeKnee

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
R230 SL500 in teal blue, R231 SL500 in black. (Vauxhall insignia diesel now sold) Black Ford Mondeo
Been curious about how much it would cost to remap my R231 Sl500 and looked at several places that offer the service but none give the price just ask to phone first. Anyone had the M278 engine mapped and have a price they could share?

Because remappers are secretive as hell about everything?
Ask a mechanical guy a question and he'll give you a detailed answer. Ask a remapper any question and you'll have more success shoving hot butter up a wild cat's **** with a red hot poker than getting an answer.

MSL quoted me £600 and GAD were a little cheaper, decided against it as I will never track the car and 429bhp 517lb torque is enough to scare the pants off me, also I would want better brakes smashing 1/4 of a mile under 12 seconds.

But hey I'm pushing 55 now and know my re-actions are not what they used to be at 20.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

MSL quoted me £600 and GAD were a little cheaper, decided against it as I will never track the car and 429bhp 517lb torque is enough to scare the pants off me, also I would want better brakes smashing 1/4 of a mile under 12 seconds.

But hey I'm pushing 55 now and know my re-actions are not what they used to be at 20.

Thanks, that's very useful.

Let my friend have a drive the other day, keen motorcyclist with a large engined bike. Left it in sport mode for him, was on an empty country road so told him to floor it, rear end snaked as it fought for traction and I could see he was nervous.

When he got out I asked him what he thought and he said I could never have one of those, it's a licence loser!

Think carefully before committing!

Been curious about how much it would cost to remap my R231 Sl500 and looked at several places that offer the service but none give the price just ask to phone first. Anyone had the M278 engine mapped and have a price they could share?

Because most people love price checking and they know it. When it comes to tuning, first and foremost I'm looking for an experienced tuner who will not ruin my engine. Price is at the very bottom of my list.

Because most people love price checking and they know it. When it comes to tuning, first and foremost I'm looking for an experienced tuner who will not ruin my engine. Price is at the very bottom of my list.
I agree price isn't at the front of my mind but there are many experienced tuners out there who have done many cars without ruining engines like MSL, GAD, DMS, Celtic ect and it would be nice just to compare prices.

I agree price isn't at the front of my mind but there are many experienced tuners out there who have done many cars without ruining engines like MSL, GAD, DMS, Celtic ect and it would be nice just to compare prices.

Apart from MSL, none of those in your list are involved in building and / or development of performance Mercedes cars really. "A dyno and a OBD port" type shops offering to remap anything that moves. As opposed to Brabus, Kleemann, Renntech, Vaeth, Carlsson, GAD-Motors (the proper one, in Germany) and MKB, who have been developing products and building world's fastest Mercedes cars for decades. You pays your money, you takes your choices.

Thanks Alex, that's been very useful.

Apart from MSL, none of those in your list are involved in building and / or development of performance Mercedes cars really. "A dyno and a OBD port" type shops offering to remap anything that moves. As opposed to Brabus, Kleemann, Renntech, Vaeth, Carlsson, GAD-Motors (the proper one, in Germany) and MKB, who have been developing products and building world's fastest Mercedes cars for decades. You pays your money, you takes your choices.
+1

Wise words.

I understood GAD (Burnham on Crouch) carry out official modifications for Bentley Colchester and are very much involved in Motor Racing...

Celtic and the like wouldn't be in business long if they Damaged peoples car's, As i understand it they use a Generic map on Standard cars which has originated from a Tune done on a Standard car tuned by live mapping on a dyno.

Agreed if the car in questions has already had modifications done prior to mapping then yes the above list of people or someone who can live tune a car on a dyno is the best way to go about getting a map done.

I've had various cars mapped before tuned and in Standard form and never had a issue, I have experienced a car which was live tuned that was pushed to great lengths via a Dyno to extract as much power as it could and that did end up having issues.

If the Op wants a standard tune on a Standard car any reputable mapper in my should be fine. Just my Opinion of course.

I understood GAD (Burnham on Crouch) carry out official modifications for Bentley Colchester and are very much involved in Motor Racing...

You mean sponsoring someone in the motorsport industry in exchange for a sticker on their road car?

The most extreme Bentley ever made, however we can improve on this even further all Bentley range tuned via OBD! No ECU removal required

I rest my case.

Celtic and the like wouldn't be in business long if they Damaged peoples car's, As i understand it they use a Generic map on Standard cars which has originated from a Tune done on a Standard car tuned by live mapping on a dyno.

Agreed if the car in questions has already had modifications done prior to mapping then yes the above list of people or someone who can live tune a car on a dyno is the best way to go about getting a map done.

I've had various cars mapped before tuned and in Standard form and never had a issue, I have experienced a car which was live tuned that was pushed to great lengths via a Dyno to extract as much power as it could and that did end up having issues.

If the Op wants a standard tune on a Standard car any reputable mapper in my should be fine. Just my Opinion of course.

If "pushed to great length" means timing was advanced too far and the engine knocked, then the tuner wasn't very experienced or was just reckless.

There's no such thing as "live mapping" on a OE ECU. It is a feature of standalone ECUs only. Switching the engine off and on to read/flash the map is not live mapping.

So is the answer "because there are so many variations on 'remap' that they want to understand what you want to achieve before they price it"?

You mean sponsoring someone in the motorsport industry in exchange for a sticker on their road car?

I rest my case.
Well their blurb indicates they tuned the race cars, Res Ipsa Loquitur.

It's none of your business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom