Why are there so few cla45's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never liked the CLA but arguably a used cla45 AMG is one of the best all round, second hand buys out there. Expensive but exclusive and good all rounders.

Ive never had a problem with the iPad look. Why should all interiors look the same and have integrated screens? Different is good sometimes. ;)

Unless it looks like that!! To be honest if it was touch, high resolution with little bezel and angled toward the driver it would be great. Apart from that it's junk!

Last edited:
Booted hatchbacks aren't popular over here, reverse is true in the US which is probably why it exists.

Whether you think it's a pig or not is down to personal taste ...although I think it's those without any that like it :devil:

Proportions are very odd, a car that small that can make wheels that big look like castors is not right.

The Audi S3 saloon is an example of how to stick a boot on a hatch properly to the extent it actually works better than the full size saloons.

This was my point, does everything well apart from hit 200mph which I don't do that often

Lennox said:
Unless it looks like that!! To be honest if it was touch, high resolution with little bezel and angled toward the driver it would be great. Apart from that it's junk!
It's not HD? I always thought it was? And touch screen? Why would you want finger prints all over your screen?

As for the tablet look, the C class has it also, only the more luxurious models that don't. But each to their own I guess!

I'l be changing mine this year or early next, but an S5, M4, and C63 are all within question, all with the stick up screen I guess, and I like them!

It's not HD? I always thought it was? And touch screen? Why would you want finger prints all over your screen?

As for the tablet look, the C class has it also, only the more luxurious models that don't. But each to their own I guess!

I'l be changing mine this year or early next, but an S5, M4, and C63 are all within question, all with the stick up screen I guess, and I like them!

From some one who has owned one I would be interested to hear your thoughts will. I'm after a small performance saloon, mainly drive in town occasional motorway blasts, will the cla be all the car I need in terms of everyday usability, performance and handling?

Previously I've had an s3 (boring), e92 m3 (fast but heavy on fuel), c63 (great buy performance was unusable on a daily basis). Hence it not sure I want an f80 m3 and as said the c63s is out of my budget.

It's simply because it's a more niche model. We sell a lot less CLA's than A Class' and the same again for the AMG variants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's for a few reasons, but mostly because the drive train and platform is optimised to be the daddy of hot hatches, and the target audience tends to want that in a hatchback body style, so that's what sells most.

For those who want a saloon, the real world difference in cost between a CLA45 and C63 isn't that great, and even closer to the C43, so those who want a boot will probably go for the C-Class - it's roomier too.

seesixtythree said:
From some one who has owned one I would be interested to hear your thoughts will. I'm after a small performance saloon, mainly drive in town occasional motorway blasts, will the cla be all the car I need in terms of everyday usability, performance and handling? Previously I've had an s3 (boring), e92 m3 (fast but heavy on fuel), c63 (great buy performance was unusable on a daily basis). Hence it not sure I want an f80 m3 and as said the c63s is out of my budget.

I've loved mine to be fair although their would be better to judge the actual performance due to it being my first high powered car.

Every day driving isn't too stiff for me and I regularly drive from the UK to Germany with no issues, bucket seats are comfortable enough whilst sitting in them however awkward to get in and out for the less agile person.

Looks and style wise I get a lot of compliments but I get when people say the rear isn't wide enough as next to my colleagues M4 it's dwarfed.

Overall I would say it's great value for money and more than enough power for me, runs out of poke top end on the Autobahn but great for fast acceleration. Gear changes aren't as responsive as you would hope but I don't track the car so it's not as big of an issue for me.

Anything else you would like to know for me to assist you just let me know!

As for the C Class, the C63 I love, however at around 70,000 and the other half wanting a big house it just doesn't seem appropriate for the time being however nice they are. C43 isn't for me really, I think the styling doesn't really do it for me as an AMG, and the fact the front grille is the same standard grille used across the range emphasis' on the way Mercedes have kept it from the main AMG on the model in my opinion. Performance is obviously there and the sound is pretty good.

Good luck on deciding.

I've loved mine to be fair although their would be better to judge the actual performance due to it being my first high powered car.

Every day driving isn't too stiff for me and I regularly drive from the UK to Germany with no issues, bucket seats are comfortable enough whilst sitting in them however awkward to get in and out for the less agile person.

Looks and style wise I get a lot of compliments but I get when people say the rear isn't wide enough as next to my colleagues M4 it's dwarfed.

Overall I would say it's great value for money and more than enough power for me, runs out of poke top end on the Autobahn but great for fast acceleration. Gear changes aren't as responsive as you would hope but I don't track the car so it's not as big of an issue for me.

Anything else you would like to know for me to assist you just let me know!

As for the C Class, the C63 I love, however at around 70,000 and the other half wanting a big house it just doesn't seem appropriate for the time being however nice they are. C43 isn't for me really, I think the styling doesn't really do it for me as an AMG, and the fact the front grille is the same standard grille used across the range emphasis' on the way Mercedes have kept it from the main AMG on the model in my opinion. Performance is obviously there and the sound is pretty good.

Good luck on deciding.

I hear you, and i bet real world running costs between the CLA and M3 are even closer. The choice is between an M3 and CLA, the CLA i like is a 66 plate full loaded car for £40k, which is pretty much 15 plate M3 money - so it is difficult.

CLA massively appeals due to 4wd, and the inside looks stunning, M3 is a handful in the wet which would tiresome for every day commutes and the interior is nothing special. Like you say i cant stretch to a C63s at the moment and C43 doesnt appeal

On the other hand probably easier to sell the M3 in the future as much as they are common the market is alot bigger and top end M3 would have the CLA.

oh by the way ive got two kids under two although the other halfs car is used for the kids I do have a child seat in my car, is the CLA still spacious enough if i have 2 car seats in the back. i prefer the appeal of a small saloon compared to an M5.

Thanks for you thoughts :thumb:

seesixtythree said:
I hear you, and i bet real world running costs between the CLA and M3 are even closer. The choice is between an M3 and CLA, the CLA i like is a 66 plate full loaded car for £40k, which is pretty much 15 plate M3 money - so it is difficult. CLA massively appeals due to 4wd, and the inside looks stunning, M3 is a handful in the wet which would tiresome for every day commutes and the interior is nothing special. Like you say i cant stretch to a C63s at the moment and C43 doesnt appeal On the other hand probably easier to sell the M3 in the future as much as they are common the market is alot bigger and top end M3 would have the CLA. oh by the way ive got two kids under two although the other halfs car is used for the kids I do have a child seat in my car, is the CLA still spacious enough if i have 2 car seats in the back. i prefer the appeal of a small saloon compared to an M5. Thanks for you thoughts :thumb:

I have no kids however I do have my 1 year old nephew in the car often. More than enough space for 2 child seats and with the sloping roof it suits a small child even more due to the lack of headroom.
The only think I do think about is the back of the bucket seats is plastic and marks pretty easily, always seems to rub off however you would have to be careful putting them in and out.
Also it depends on how tall you are, i'm a little over 5'10" and their is more than enough space, 6'2" onwards and you could be pushing it?

Running costs - I recently did a 400 mile round trip from Dusseldorf to Saarland, 60% of it being Autobahn. On the way there I got 39mpg on steady driving, the way back was 28mpg as I was having a bit of fun with a GT3, C63s, and a SLS. All of which wiped the floor with me haha.

I see loads of CLAs and quite a few CLA45s.

I live in a big city though, so maybe that's part the reason.

I agree with the other guy though that they look like a CLS that's been in a fire. Still a great looking car, but some odd styling bits.

It's not HD? I always thought it was?
Me too, the reverse camera clarity seems to back this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom