Why buy budget???

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by BaldGuy, Oct 14, 2018 at 7:44 AM.

1. BaldGuy

BaldGuy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL63 Bi-Turbo - C350 Coupe
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people buy cheap sub standard tyres and brake discs/pads.... the two items that keep your life on the road, if you cant afford a car don't drive one... I saw a 2016 M5 the other day on cheap chinese tyres.... so a 4-500bhp car on rubber fit for a kids toy..... mad mad mad....

Rorywquin, MancMike, clk320x and 4 others like this.
  2. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 C250d AMG Line Premium Plus Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    And I bet the driver runs it on supermarket fuel, oil from Aldi and whines on about fuel economy...

MancMike likes this.
  3. SL500AMG

SL500AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 AMG Sport
    He may be about to sell so doesn't care...I wonder if that would be enough to put off a potential buyer though?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. Yugguy

Yugguy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
    We put a cheapo tyre on wife's Yaris as it failed the mot with a bulge a week before we were trading it in.

Otherwise no, I would never skimp on the only things sticking the car to the road.

5. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    My sons friend’s dad has owned RS6’s, AMG’s, M3/5’s and he’s exactly the same - “they’re all black and round” is his tyre mantra o_O

6. Gazwould

Gazwould Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S204 C250 CDI AMG Sport
    I'm on cheap Chinese tyres , always buy Supermarket fuel and Supermarket oil...

saff, John N, a111r and 3 others like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    BaldGuy

Car:
    He's mad Lee.... exactly my point.. the manufacturers put Michelin, Conti, Pirelli etc on for a reason as they've been tested and they feel that they're right for the vehicle at 200 or so a corner... a £80 tyre on a 60-80k car in my eyes is murder....

SPX likes this.
  8. RSTurbo50

RSTurbo50 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350 CDI Sport Coupe
    I’m sure cheaper tyres are still safe and do the job otherwise they wouldn’t be allowed onto the market..

stwat likes this.
  9. Alienator

Alienator Member

Car:
    Mercedes CLS 63 AMG S Shooting Brake
    It depends...
    I wouldn't try to save money on my AMG tyres(almost 600 Bhp on rear only needs grip and quality otherwise you can't really deliver this power and enjoying it properly) but I don't mind cheap chinese tyres on my Smart car
    Top of the range car requires top of the range parts and quality special when I will be using it or any other member my family but with Smart car is different story and different league

10. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    It would put me off buying it. My thoughts would be that if the seller was so skint (or stupid) enough to fit budget tyres to such a car what else has he skimped and saved on ? service work ? budget oil/pads/filters ?

a111r and SL500AMG like this.
  11. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55
    I raise you: replica wheels, 100mm spacers, stretched tyres, excessive negative camber. That whole scene deserves to be loaded into a car compactor and sent away to China.

12. OP
    OP
    BaldGuy

Car:
    I bet you're running Wangtong tyres on that 55 beast Alex :D

Alex likes this.
  13. Petrol Pete

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    Don't be so sure. I had budget tyre to decent tyre change (all 4) on my old 1.6 Astra a few years back. the difference in how the car handled and stopped was very noticeable.
    And that was on a piddling 1.6 estate with no ABS and about 95 bhp.

14. Patagonian

Patagonian Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A5 Sportback
    Although these cheap tyres might be ok for nipping down to Aldi to pick up some even cheaper oil, test have shown in the various car mags that cheap tends to mean drastically reduced wet weather 'performance'. By that they are not referring to a few seconds added on at the Nurburgring, but, for example, reduced ability to pull up safely in the wet. Who needs that with any car, let alone something with a bit of poke.

clk320x likes this.
  15. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55
    My Smart car is in the same league as my E55 or FFRR - it carries me and my family. Given that full set of quality 15” tyres for the Smart is around £200, does £50 saved on LingLongs or Fullruns translate to better handling and braking distance?

Smart320 likes this.
  16. KennyN

KennyN Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 440i Coupe
    A car without ABS , that must have been a few years ago.

We have budget Landsail , or something , on the wifes Juke and i have never found them "wanting" in any conditions over the last two years. Admittedly i have had some pretty shocking rubber on some of my cars over the early years but tyre tech has moved on since then.

Kenny

saff and a111r like this.
  17. Gazwould

Gazwould Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S204 C250 CDI AMG Sport
    This is it , Landsail are good , there are ones that will kill you and the mind boggles how they made it to market .

My own cheapies employed an ex 30 year Michelin employee and one reviewer took them around the Nurburgring and didn't die .

18. Petrol Pete

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    Yes it was an 'oddball' yr 2000 'grey import' bought new by my late father in law. it was badged Opel and was right hand drive the car was poverty spec with just one airbag, plastic hubcaps and a tape cassette player..and no ABS.

But oddly it had air-conditioning , metallic paint, a bigger battery and bigger wider wheels than the same UK spec car . It also had Isofix brackets for child seats in the rear...Like I said a REAL oddball. It was in the family from new in 2000 and I sold it a few years back with 130000 mile on it and during that time nothing other than wear and tear items were ever replaced on it.
    It is still in use today.

19. Alienator

Alienator Member

Car:
    Mercedes CLS 63 AMG S Shooting Brake
    Let's put it this way...
    I done in my Smart car 860 miles in whole last year
    In my AMG 11K miles in last 4 months...
    So I wouldn't say £50 make me big difference in my life but I just believe premium tyres aren't really necessary for my Smart car
    This vehicle with 71 wild horses is "litlle bit " less demanding than 585 BHP monster however both of them will give me massive BIG smile on my ugly face in snow

20. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Club Veteran

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ), 2010 Brabus Smart ( Exclusive ) )
    Same here, my Brabus Smart has Dunlop Super Sport :)

Bobby Dazzler and Smart320 like this.