Why buy budget???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the point is that most of us wouldn't get in the car with the drunk driver because we would judge it to be unsafe.

But if we would get into a car fitted with Chinese ditchfinders, on a rainy night, with our family... then possibly what we actually think about the Chinese tyres is that while they are not 'as safe as....', they are still 'safe enough'?

Safe enough for what? For a single journey or for covering 10,000 miles? For what kind of driving? Suppose the 50 mile trip to the airport on those unsafe tyres has 0.01% risk of fatality. If you abandon the trip and do not go for holidays the stress and frustration might give you are higher risk of,say, dying from heart attack making it worthwhile to take the risk.

But install those tyres on your car and 50 miles becomes 5000 miles and that 0.01% risk becomes a 1%. Also take into account that taxi driver will probably drive smoother than you, especially when alone, and that 1% risk might become a 5% risk - a huge risk.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people buy cheap sub standard tyres and brake discs/pads.... the two items that keep your life on the road, if you cant afford a car don't drive one... I saw a 2016 M5 the other day on cheap chinese tyres.... so a 4-500bhp car on rubber fit for a kids toy..... mad mad mad....
But the neighbours can’t see that, right, all they see is shinny new beemer.

Most expensive doesn’t always equal the best performer.

Some people pooh pooh secondhand tyres (but would buy a secondhand car.....which will have secondhand tyres:rolleyes:)
- as long as you inspect, and buy wisely they can be fine.

I’ve had Khumos on a 300hp Subaru Legacy:)
I’ve had Pirelli SotoZeros on the CL500....and replaced them with Khumo Ecstas I find them to be good, stable, with good feedback and lots of grip.
I don’t think I will be pushing the car to its dynamic limits on any roads in NW London, and don’t think I’ll ever notice the difference to some tyre with a perceived “label” for £50 a corner extra.

Hands up anyone who has checked what brand of tyres are on their taxi on a rainy night:D

lol only pulling your leg haha Dam right im hovering around 22mpg's these days :eek: pmsl

Why is it important - the country where the manufacturer registered the tyre for ECE approval?

My Dunlops were made in Germany but were registered in Luxembourg (E13) - not sure what's the significance of all this, really.

Worry not, MJ.
I'm going back many years, early 90s, re. a budget brand that were E marked in Yugoslavia.

There's a chap at work who has written off an M4 and a 911 within 6 months of each other. There's another that boasts of aquaplaning on the M6 at 120mph.

I would refuse to get in any car they were driving.

We put a cheapo tyre on wife's Yaris as it failed the mot with a bulge a week before we were trading it in.

Otherwise no, I would never skimp on the only things sticking the car to the road.

Not a criticism...but you are happy for other cars to have cheapo tyres...because they would never run into you?

Why does everyone say that cheap tyres are not for them because they are dangerous...yet don't mind them on other people's cars? Are they not just as dangerous for you...in that, they may run into you at the next wet bend?

So, why put them on a car you are selling?

Last edited:
I had a quick look at my local tyre shop's website to compare principally wet weather ratings (as that seems to be the focus of attention here) of various tyres of 195/60/15 size.

The second cheapest (Yokohama, £64.58) had the same B rating as the most expensive (Michelin XClimate+, £83.48). Seven cheaper tyres had an A rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom