Why delete a brand name?

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by John Jones Jr, Apr 16, 2014.

1. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    I found the above very interesting, in actual fact I'm somewhat mystified.

Dropped in to ECP this morning to purchase a fuel pump, they have Pierburg pumps on special offer. Normally they retail in or around the £150-170 mark, Euro's offer is £109 which is the lowest price I've ever come across.

Opened up the Pierburg stamped box (with hologram) and find a pump made by company called IT of Poland with no reference to Pierburg, read the supplied paperwork and again no reference to Pierburg or for that matter it's parent company KSPG Automotive, Germany. Not happy, I explain to the sales guy & request a refund. I received the refund with no issues but at the same time no explanation offered on why the pump was stamped by a different manufacturer which I found a bit strange, maybe the sales guy just couldn't explain or couldn't be bothered.

The upshot, I was content that I didn't get a unknown brand product (to me).
    At the same time, I was a bit annoyed. Was I being conned or was their some reasonable explanation?

Decided to phone Pierburg and see if their was some sort of reasonable explanation. And indeed their is, well it's reasonable to Pierburg. It seems their car pumps are either manufactured in Poland or France and the Polish pumps are all stamped TI and not Pierburg. I asked why & why would a company delete a brand logo or name that's well respected and over a hundred years old for a name nobody seems to know? Pierburg couldn't answer that question and said it was a marketing decision!

Now, I have a suspicion (possibly I'm totally wrong) why this situation has arisen but it actually has put me off going back and getting the Pierburg/TI pump (can't afford to have a pump fail on a forced induction engine) and I'm now going to buy a Bosch pump with Bosch stamp, made where ever.

1 person likes this.
  2. chubbs111

chubbs111 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    clk270cdi
    some years ago i collected a skip of brake calipers from a foundry in the west-midlands to take them to be hardened,the calipers were cast in the west-midlands but they were all stamped BMW

3. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    It is the way of manufacturing now - Turn key build where most complex units are built using a variety of suppliers. The final name may well be xxx but the product was built by a,b,c,d,e..... I also believe that Bosch are not immune from this practise. One would hope that Pierburg ensure that their supplier adheres to Pierburg's standards in manufacture and stands by the product as if it were truly manufactured by them. If that were/is the case then you should have no real concern. In the event of failure you would be protected as you would if 100% OEM

4. baxlin

baxlin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo C70 and JZR 3 wheeler
    Even Norwich Union dumped their name in favour of what sounded like a bus company..............

5. E55BOF

E55BOF Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E500, S212 E63, XK convertible, FJR1300, Caponord, Yamaha Bulldog
    TI Automotive (an American company) took over Pierburg in 2003. It says Pierburg on the box, but it says TI on the pump (I've got one on my E55). Google TI Automotive if you want to find out more. I'm not worried...

6. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    TI were originally a British Company way back. Heritage :: TI Automotive

Just like Erbespacher [exhausts] are a joint enterprise with the UNIPART Group.

7. OP
    OP
    John Jones Jr

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    Indeed you are correct.
    Here's an articlel relating to it:
    http://www.just-auto.com/news/ti-au...urg-electric-fuel-pump-operation_id83667.aspx
    Note, ''TI Automotive will continue to use the highly regarded Pierburg brand name on the product lines it has acquired.''

But my point was simply why do away with the very well known & respected Pierburg name on the actual part, to me that's what counts rather more than the packaging. Also too, people generally, possibly even within the trade wouldn't be as familiar with TI as opposed to Pierburg.

Paying top dollar for Pierburg is one thing paying it for a generally lesser known brand/name is another. Thus, I purchased a Bosch pump with a Bosch stamp on it and have no cares or concerns where it was manufactured.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  8. E55BOF

E55BOF Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E500, S212 E63, XK convertible, FJR1300, Caponord, Yamaha Bulldog
    I don't really care where it was manufactured; the Polish Pierburg factory presumably still has quality control to the standard associated with the Pierburg name, and I see no reason to suppose that a Pierburg pump now is manufactured to any lower standard than in 1998.

I did not pay top dollar for it; ECP had it on offer.

I do rather wonder where the factory that made your Bosch pump is located, as well...

And whether it is actually owned by Bosch, or sub-contracted...

9. LTD

LTD MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    I know a guy in the Midlands whose company make alloy rims for a major car manufacturer.

They feature the manufacturer's part number and corporate logo and no identifier to the manufacturer.

However, they are made to exacting standards befitting of the marque .......

10. LTD

LTD MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    Imagine opening up your MB Audio / Comand unit and discovering it was made by Blaupunkt or similar .........

1 person likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    John Jones Jr

Car:
    I don't care where it was manufactured either, Poland, France wherever, even if there is no Polish Pierburg factory and it's TI factory. That's clearly not the point I was making.

12. OP
    OP
    John Jones Jr

Car:
    Why, did you actually think M-B made their own stereos?

13. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    No.

But Becker were linked to MB as their preferred audio partner for many many years.. shame they dropped it. Well there are still Becker options available on some MB cars, but this is not the same...

14. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    What happens if the Bosch branded one turns out to be a TI one?

15. OP
    OP
    John Jones Jr

Car:
    Are not paying attention again...

''Thus, I purchased a Bosch pump with a Bosch stamp on it and have no cares or concerns where it was manufactured.''

16. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    I don't see those words on this thread???

But what if said Bosch branded pump turns out to be the same as the Pierburg one that turned out to be a Pierburg one?

17. OP
    OP
    John Jones Jr

Car:
    Try, reading post #7.

Now to answer your question even if it's plainly nothing to with my point, I don't care who made it or where it was made.

18. V12

V12 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S320CDI LWB
    So you're saying you don't really care about the design or the build quality, just worried about the badge on the outside?

16 yr olds do that with clothes...

19. OP
    OP
    John Jones Jr

Car:

What a post ^^^. :fail

You know what, I'll leave this this thread to you :thumb:

20. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    If you don't care who made it or where it was made, what's the point of the thread???

Tags: