Why did I buy a Mercedes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bloodmoon

Car
C270 CDI Avantgarde
A couple of months ago, when I first bought my Mercedes, quite a lot of people said to me "Mercedes? What on earth do you want one of those for?"

One of the reasons I gave was that they were a little less common than all the Mondeos, Vectras, etc that you see day-in day-out on the road. By no means am I implying they are unique, but in the 2 months I have owned my car, I have seen 1 other 124 coupe...

Well, this lunch time I was walking back to work along the main road, and a procession of no less than TWELVE Mondeos drove past me, one after another (with a break in the middle coming in the form of a 206 and a Lexus). Each one had a man in a suit driving, and only 2 of them had a passenger. The only Mercedes I saw on my journey came in the form of a Sprinter van.

If I had a camera with me, I would have rested my case.

Just thought I'd share this observation, as it certainly made me smirk.

--
Antony

I know it's bad and all materialistic, but also, when someone asks you what car you drive, it's hard not to smile (just a wee bit) as you say "a Mercedes". :)

Originally posted by simonl
I know it's bad and all materialistic, but also, when someone asks you what car you drive, it's hard not to smile (just a wee bit) as you say "a Mercedes". :)

Works wonders on young ladies too.:D :D :D

Originally posted by Brian WH

LOL :D

You dirty old man Brian!
but you are right :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Originally posted by Brian WH

Does indeed ....... the Explaining the tiptronic gearbox is fun .. :D

I have had my L Reg 280E just over 2 years, my previous car was a J Reg Rover 214SLi which died from a blown head gasket at 119,964 miles. and wasn't worth repairing.
I estimate the MB was £31,000 when new and I paid £5,900 for it.
It had done most of it's depreciating.
Two weeks before I bought the MB I saw an N Reg Reliant Robin for £5,700 !!

So for the sake of £200, which would you have bought ?

Also, the insurance quotes I got for cars of a similar value, such as Omega 2.5, Gallant 2.5, were only about £30 less.
Not enough to sway me back towards a more 'sensible' car.

The Mondeo men at work thought I was just showing off, but they are losing more money them I am (through depreciation).

:D

When people ask me what's so special about a Mercedes I usually reply… Mercedes (well Daimler et al) made the first cars, every one else's are just second class copies, if your going to buy a car you may as well buy the original.

If they are really interested i show them the video I got at the factory that shows how they are made.
Did you pick your car up from the factory then under the Personel Collection scheme ? :)

If you did maybe a new threads required, so that anyone else that has experienced this can contribute :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom