Why did I have to look at the Ducati site?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
Someone mentioned that Ducati had a new bike coming out so looked out of curiousity, I have never been that keen on V twins but their new 1199 Panigale just sounds so impressive and the looks:

ducati-1199-panigale-2.jpg

In short I really,really want one, the only down side is £20k for a bike:eek:, too much for me, maybe in a couple of years, when some come on the second hand market.

Last edited:
The Director at work is getting one early next year. The office is in Coventry, but I'm sure you'll hear him in Warwick!

If what I read is right, Ohlins electonically adjusting suspension, depending on what mode the bike's in, how cool is that!!.

The Director at work is getting one early next year. The office is in Coventry, but I'm sure you'll hear him in Warwick!

Lucky git!!, I've always prefered IL4s but have been slightly wanting a Ducati for a while, with this new one they've got 195 BHP from it, no silly belts and normal servicing intervals and it is a thing of beauty.

There's an in depth article in the `Nov9 Motorcycle News- well worth getting a copy if you can . :thumb:Other technological marvels are the monocoque chassis- the engine casing and airboxform the main bike chassis, LCD dashboard, a 195bhp V twin engine with desmodromic titanium valve train and a vacuum assisted crankcase to minimise piston pumping losses. How fragile the whole setup is I don't know :dk: but one is struck by the comparison with Mercedes AMG tuning arm whose sole modus operandi appears to be "Slap a big V8 in the car+tweak the chassis and brakes" --sorted :eek:

As a Duke owner i can honestly say i'm gutted, what's the point of owning a Duke if it hasn't got a L-Twin and it looks like a Honda :wallbash:

My son has got one on order, delivery next April, he's gone for the race exhaust system which puts the power up to 204HP and is very very loud, the servicing is every 15000 miles which is unbelievable, his present bike is a BMW K1300 which is every 6 months.

If only I was 30 years younger I'd have one like a shot if only to put in the lounge and look at, although I suspect there would be objections from her indoors.

The thing is the base version isn't that much more than an S1000RR or even an R1 now, I know which I would rather have, I think it's a really good looking bike too, better than the 1098 even and certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the abortion that was the 999.

Last edited:
The thing is the base version isn't that much more than an S1000RR or even an R1 now, I know which I would rather have, I think it's a really good looking bike too, better than the 1098 even and certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the abortion that was the 999.

There are intangible reasons for buying a Ducati which you won't get from an R1 and the like.

I could buy a fast Mondeo/Insignia but wouldn't, for similar reasons

The thing is with Ducatis that they never used to offer quite the same performance as the Japanese 4s and cost alot more, since the 1098 though that changed and with the 1199 Panigale they are offering the same performance and are very close on price too, plus their great looking and Italian, well done Ducati:thumb:.

I await this one with interest. Having run a Ducati race bike for 15 years and hemorrhaged money at every service (and the countless breakdowns, including a total engine seizure at 90mph) I will want a lot of convincing before wanting to put money their way again but I do love the look of them.

Frankly, though, the superbike market is now ludicrous - the bikes have more capability than the average owner can ever hope to exploit. Nobody can master 195bhp on the public road.

The latest Testastretta motors seem to be holding up nicely without costing a fortune to keep going.

I certainly couldn't afford to do my 70mile a day commute otherwise.

Stunning Bike that :D just hope they build a decent MotoGP version over the winter break :rolleyes:

abortion that was the 999.

So wrong, the 999 is a great piece of design and everything a Ducati should be, whilst the 848, 1098, 1198 and 1199 could be Honda's in the looks department, i also worry that dumping the L-Twin will produce a duller riding experience.
As for having loads of power i don't quite get it, i've never met anyone who ride a 600 to the edge let alone a 1098, if it's the whole power experience you may as well ride a V-Max or a Blackbird.
Be interesting to see what Ducati owners make of it, i'm sure the JILF owners will find it easier to live with but we'll see.

So wrong, the 999 is a great piece of design and everything a Ducati should be, whilst the 848, 1098, 1198 and 1199 could be Honda's in the looks department, i also worry that dumping the L-Twin will produce a duller riding experience.
As for having loads of power i don't quite get it, i've never met anyone who ride a 600 to the edge let alone a 1098, if it's the whole power experience you may as well ride a V-Max or a Blackbird.
Be interesting to see what Ducati owners make of it, i'm sure the JILF owners will find it easier to live with but we'll see.

True, i never got my R6 to the edge on the road. So would not move to a R1 :thumb:

Maybe different around the track :rolleyes:

... i also worry that dumping the L-Twin will produce a duller riding experience.

So what is this bike? I assumed it was an L-twin. Please don't tell me it's an IL4.

As to power, whilst I pooh-poohed 195bhp in my earlier post, I would say that the new batch of litre bikes with intelligent engine power control do make for a better riding experience than a smaller bike, for example a 600 or 750. It's the pursuit of the 190+ bhp that seems a bit unnecessary.

Don't panic Capt. Mainwaring...it's still an L-twin.

Cylinder setup appears slightly tilted so the front cylinder isn't quite horizontal, but then I haven't seen it mounted in the bike yet (off the NEC on Sunday)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom