Why do MB salesman make it difficult to buy from them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solarmer1

Car
MB 2001 E320cdi, 2010 W212 E350
Back to my search for a new or near new MB E class. I ended buying a used Jaguar XF after my last search and I'm so happy with both it and dealer servcing that I'm keeping it however I still want the E class also.

I've been into my "local" Jaguar showroom and been suprised, once again, at the knowledge and eagerness to assist plus he wasn't trying to push anything onto me. Ditto my local BMW showroom who are also very helpful.

MB. Well I fell out with MB Shrewsbury some time ago and have never been back with all servicing on my current E320 CDI being carried out independantly.

So, I head off the MB Chester. Tell the guy my requirements e.g. can't be black exterior or interior. He trys to then sell me a black saloon currently in production (pre' facelift). We talk and talk although he doesn't listen. I ask basic questions and he can't answer even basic stuff such as. "are there any roof rail fixing points in the channels on the saloon" It seems that there are yet it takes a visit to the parts department in order to verify this. We finally settle on an estate currently awaiting build which might just satisfy my requirements. Price? £46,250. My eyes start to water as I ask him as to what deals we might do if I placed the order. "None" he says, "apart from finance" , "I might just be able to take the £250.00 off if I speak with my manager". I thank him for his time and leave. Why do I even thank him? Probably out of common courtesy.

I then spot a used estate at Mercedes Stratford on Avon. It must exist as they have just emailed me about it. I call them and yes, it is there at the dealership. I travel from Shrewsbury to take a quick look before I head down to Luton to pick someone up at the airport. The timings leave me with about 2 minutes that I can spend at the agent, just to see if I might be interested. I arrive and a salesman is standing outside clinging onto to his tea cup (it's cold outside). "Can I just take a look at the estate that you emailed me about, blah, blah, Reg no blah, blah."

"Don't know anything about that, not seen it. Ask someone else in the showroom". I leave.

It seems to me that some MB salesman still have this arrogant ambiance about them. Does this guy really believe I'll go back? Is he some kind of stooge salesman? What is his motivation for this level of assistance? I don't meet this carp from my local Jaguar and BMW dealerships.

So, I'm fast running out of MB dealerships that might just treat me as a customer.
:)

Last edited:
:(

My first and only experience of MB salesmen was fantastic. Justin @ Swindon really took care of me, didn't rush or pressure me and did me a good deal. Can't rate him highly enough. Maybe I was just lucky :dk:

Good luck with your search :thumb:

I've been into my "local" Jaguar showroom and been suprised, once again, at the knowledge and eagerness to assist plus he wasn't trying to push anything onto me. Ditto my local BMW showroom who are also very helpful.

One difference I've noted is that our local MB dealerships separate used and new car sales. Moreover the sales staff are possessive - they won't always point you at the other side - so if they have no suitable AU stock they'll not necessarily point you in the direction of looking at a deal on a new car (or vice versa). Moreover if they have stock at a nearby branch rather than arranging for you to hop across town and see it they'll want to have you wait (a day or two) while they get the vehicle brought to their branch.

OTOH our local BMW the same dealership staff sell both new and AU. So if you ask about AU and they have nothing in their branches then they'll quite happily explore alternatives on a new car. Or vice versa.

I personally find the majority of car showroom visits depressing. There's too much ritual BS and many of the sales staff are more focused on their need to get the sale personally than the needs of the customer or their employer.

I hate all car dealers period. Rude people, especially when a top marque/brand is involved.

It really is basic stuff to know about your product.

One thing I always found quite telling was that the kid at my school , the real arrogant 'I'm better than you' bully , that people pretended to like to his face went on to be a car salesman with BMW.

Very apt , I thought. I'm sure there are others like him.

I agree with you about mercedes shrewsbury, took my car in for a service I'm really fussy you could eat off my engine showed the service manager the engine said I expect it to be just as clean when I get it back,I couldn't believe it plastic covers black oily finger marks but worse they were all scratched as well I will never go there again.

Last edited:
:(

My first and only experience of MB salesmen was fantastic. Justin @ Swindon really took care of me, didn't rush or pressure me and did me a good deal. Can't rate him highly enough. Maybe I was just lucky :dk:

Good luck with your search :thumb:

Must be something good going on at Swindon MB. Steve also was informative and helpful, and kept me up to date with what was going on during a big service.

BOSTON MERCEDES - ASK FOR ANDY.. SALES MANAGER.. HE WILL ASSIST..

HE WILL REMEMBER ME REGARDING MY W212 SALOON I COLLECTED FROM THEM ON XMAS EVE 2010.

01205 360200 - Andy Worsley

GOOD LUCK

DILLAN

Chester is staggeringly bad. I don't know how they ever sell anything.

Must be something good going on at Swindon MB. Steve also was informative and helpful, and kept me up to date with what was going on during a big service.

Not had my car serviced yet but glad to hear this. Shame they seem to be the exception.

I purchased my first Mercedes recently and have also noticed this. I had to visit 3 local MB dealers before I could find one that was just somewhat reasonable.

Never in my life have I been pestered to finance something so bad and don't get me started on the salesmen that I've come across...

My experience of Western Mercedes, or Edinburgh Mercedes as they are now called, has always been excellent. I recently bought a car from their Willowbrae showroom and they could not have been more helpful or accommodating.

Not all dealerships can be trarred with the unhelpful-brush.

My experience of Western Mercedes, or Edinburgh Mercedes as they are now called, has always been excellent. I recently bought a car from their Willowbrae showroom and they could not have been more helpful or accommodating.

I've also been happy with the treatment I've had from the salesman I've dealt with at Willowbrae. I've bought two cars from them and they'll be my first port of call if I stay with MB for my next car.

Milton Keynes is not much better. A while ago I was looking at an E coupe and the salesman was hovering around. First question he asked was about finance. I said I didn't do finance and prefer a cash purchase. He walked away and never came back to see how I was getting on with the car. Unbelievable!

Unfortunately if you want any assistance from any car salesperson these days then what you need to open the conversation with is "how much a month is this, mate?"

The way salespeople are bonused, cash buyer can actually cost them money.

You're right there. I recently looked at a Lexus and was almost at the buying stage and the salesman admitted that I would do a better deal on the car if I took finance than paying cash!

My issue is I just don't want to owe money or pay interest!! So I'll remain a cash buyer and be ignored by salesman! :D

My buying experience at MB Coventry was pleasant enough, although I subsequently found that the sales guy had somewhat overstated how good the warranty was!

Before buying the MB, I had a slightly less than great experience at the local BMW dealership. It wasn't terrible but the guy was the typical pushy jerk who everyone despises. No way I would buy from him!

MB Hull and MB Glasgow both sold me E classes (used) and were helpful to do business with once I found a car on their website I wanted. Depends who you get

i went to BMW colchester where they didn't have the time of day for me...
went to mercedes who couldn't do enough...
guess what we bought twice :)
luck of the draw...

I agree with you about mercedes shrewsbury, took my car in for a service I'm really fussy you could eat off my engine showed the service manager the engine said I expect it to be just as clean when I get it back,I couldn't believe it plastic covers black oily finger marks but worse they were all scratched as well I will never go there again.

Hi.
Same experience. Mine came back with black oily marks on the floor carpets. I walked back into the dealership and asked the guy if he really was content to hand a customer back his car in that state. He then took my car and returned 10 minutes later. Cleaned but no apology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom