Why do owners like cars to be noisy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just about to do a resonator delete on my r129 . fingers crossed the v8 will reveal itself
It should. On mine (1994) I had a single 'sports' silencer after the cat, nothing else, and it sounded great pulling hard from low revs - a really deep boom. Ducati boys, eat your hearts out...

My favourite aircraft engine sounds -

#3 - A single Merlin in a Spitfire on a low pass - sheer music to the ears!
#2 - 4 x Merlins in a Lancaster on a low pass - 4 x sheer music!
#1 - 4 x Olympus 593 engines in full reheat blatting down the runway - gone deaf, can't hear the music! :D

Whisper it, but the Griffon sounds better than the Merlin - and the Griffon Spit looks better than the Merlin Spit too...

My favourite aircraft engine sounds -

#3 - A single Merlin in a Spitfire on a low pass - sheer music to the ears!
#2 - 4 x Merlins in a Lancaster on a low pass - 4 x sheer music!
#1 - 4 x Olympus 593 engines in full reheat blatting down the runway - gone deaf, can't hear the music! :D
Abso-blooming-lutely :rock:

living near RAF Northolt, (Ruislip) we often get the BoB aircraft in the skies above the garden, and without fail, I exit the house when I hear the unmistakeable sound.
.... and my time in TBB, (Concorde Majors) and the ‘mini run gang’ (doing Concorde departures) also meant that I was well versed in the crackle of the Olympus on take off 😎:banana:

On aircraft ... I'm rather partial to a Bristol Centaurus myself, although these are getting quite rare :(

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Depends on what you mean by noisy. If you mean that god-awful screeching from a small capacity 4 cylinder, tuned to within an inch of it's life boy racer with a dump valve, then yeah, it's horrible.
You can't mean that lovely roar from a nice V6 or V8 (except on start up maybe :) )

On aircraft ... I'm rather partial to a Bristol Centaurus myself, although these are getting quite rare :(

Great noise - and a lovely looking old thing also 😎

Great noise - and a lovely looking old thing also 😎

They sound amazing on a fast pass (of which there are several on that video :)) ... unfortunately quite a few surviving aircraft got re-engined with more common Pratt & Whitneys over the years.

It should. On mine (1994) I had a single 'sports' silencer after the cat, nothing else, and it sounded great pulling hard from low revs - a really deep boom. Ducati boys, eat your hearts out...
yep that will be a very similar set up to mine , a deep rumble is what im after and not a screaming banshee

The poor kids who have to suffer the sound of diesel engines starting up or idling by the side of the road will have to make do with shaking a tin can containing a few marbles.

In my dotage I prefer as little exhaust and wind noise as possible, but give me the roar of a V8 (or more) over the bag of nails diesels any day. Most diesel cars are fine inside (except Peugeots) but why do those of us who aren’t inside have to suffer? Walking to school the other day to collect my daughter, I had to pass a line of cars waiting for the car park barrier to open. I counted 8 diesels with the engines running as they sat there (filling the air that children would soon enter with their noxious fumes.) It was a mild day, not hot and not cold, so why did they have to leave their engines running? Does it take a long time to start a diesel and set off?
I guarantee you that my V6 350 cdi is as quiet as your petrol V6 at idle and on the move.
I also guarantee my temporarily gone V8 symphony will soon be replaced by another truly enjoyable even louder V8.
To hell with the Phillips kettles we’ll all have to drive one day.

There's a kid somewhere on our estate with a Fiesta & he's somehow made his exhaust sound like a loud fart. Intentional or not it does give me a little chortle when I hear it 😂 What I really don't get is the amplified pops & bangs that a lot seem to want now, to me it just sounds like the exhaust has fallen off. Sorry to say but anything with less than 5 cylinders in a car just sounds crap with a loud exhaust (imo).

I guarantee you that my V6 350 cdi is as quiet as your petrol V6 at idle and on the move.
Oh no it isn't, at idle anyway... I had the petrol V6 in a 211 350, and have the 350 CDI in the CLS. The CLS is a quiet car, and so was the E-class. However, moving off from a standstill at low throttle openings in the CLS there's an irritating diesel rattle, particularly when not fully warmed up, that the petrol didn't have. Once rolling, all is well. If it was a V8 rumble I'd like it, but it isn't, and I don't.

(It's not the injectors, it's a characteristic of the combustion process of diesel fuel. I'm going to try adding some 2-EHN to the fuel to see if I can reduce it).

I think like others have said, the sound of an engine/intake/exhaust combo emotes a certain response in those of us who are real petrol heads and its clear that not everyone on this thread is. It's pointless trying to explain it to anyone, you either get it or you don't.

The first time I ever went to Goodwood Festival of Speed I was bombarded by 'it' and it was glorious, it happens every time I go now and I can't wait to get my fix this July when I go again. One of my many favourite engine sounds is the Mazda 787B. Sure it might be a rotary but by Jesus does it sound amazing (2.6L 4-rotor NA) at idle and at fly-by speeds.

Long live noisy cars I say, as long as it anything with a 'Fiesta', 'Focus' or 'Astra' badge ;)

Oh no it isn't, at idle anyway... I had the petrol V6 in a 211 350, and have the 350 CDI in the CLS. The CLS is a quiet car, and so was the E-class. However, moving off from a standstill at low throttle openings in the CLS there's an irritating diesel rattle, particularly when not fully warmed up, that the petrol didn't have. Once rolling, all is well. If it was a V8 rumble I'd like it, but it isn't, and I don't.

(It's not the injectors, it's a characteristic of the combustion process of diesel fuel. I'm going to try adding some 2-EHN to the fuel to see if I can reduce it).
In the CLS500 as stock all you hear is road noise. It's the same at motorway speeds plus a very small amount of wind noise. Even when floored the engine note is very subdued in the distance. You'd be hard pushed to know that there's a V8 under the bonnet as Mercedes did their best to suppress the signature sound.

We will all be driving silent cars soon enough, in the meantime...

Not sure about some of the wet wipes in here but I'm actually a "petrol head" I happen to love the sound of a finely tuned 4 cylinder turbo just as much as a supercharged v8, even some diesels sound awesome and ill proudly say I am and always will be a fan of a louder vehicle over something stock that's made unnaturally to be quiet with added dpf's, resonators, cats ect, if you climb off your pedestals and actually have some appreciation for peoples builds no matter what engine or car it is your see things in a different light, it may not be your thing but that sure as hell don't make it a piece of $h!t, granted there are some ridiculous mods on cars that owners will no doubt regret down the line but hey you live and learn.

We will all be driving silent cars soon enough, in the meantime...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom