Why do owners like cars to be noisy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Lightning Climb was a thing of wonder for the senses!
We used to make the afterburner exhaust for the Tornado in a previous life, used to love seeing them at the Farnborough air show.

Personally I would take a wheezing Austin 7 that doesn't even get to 60 than something less visceral that does 0-60 in 3 seconds. For similar reasons i much prefer my Alfa GTV than my friends Alfa 4C. Miles apart in terms of performance and value. The 4C is stupidly quick but once you've done a few hard launches it gets a bit frustrating as there's no way you can use 90% of the performance on the road so it's constantly reined in - and it sounds rubbish. So in mine i can potter along without fear of losing my license, enjoying "Arese's violin". Sometimes performance isn't everything but each to their own of course!
I don't disagree. In terms of the Tesla, sure they're fast but there is zero driver involvement - I drove a P85 Model S and was completely underwhelmed by the whole experience and lets not even get into the build quality of materials they use!

We used to make the afterburner exhaust for the Tornado in a previous life, used to love seeing them at the Farnborough air show.
I used to go to loads of airshows with my Dad in the late '70's and 80's. Greenham Common was always a favourite - i remember all the peace protesters by the fence as you went in. We'd often go and sit by the fence at the end of the runway in the days before the show to see various aircraft arrive. The SR-71 was a treat, and the C-5A Galaxy! And the Buccaneers always made a lot of noise! Aged about 10 me and my friend were allowed a can of Bud and a burger from the USAF barbecue. We'd giggle all afternoon and buy countless plastic kits and stickers. Happy days!

I don't disagree. In terms of the Tesla, sure they're fast but there is zero driver involvement - I drove a P85 Model S and was completely underwhelmed by the whole experience and lets not even get into the build quality of materials they use!
Still not on par with Mercedes-Benz, in accordance with my opinion.
In my life I have never got in a car for a test drive and said, I want this car right now, until MB.

Still not on par with Mercedes-Benz, in accordance with my opinion.
In my life I have never got in a car for a test drive and said, I want this car right now, until MB.
To be fair, thats happened with me with all my Audi's, BMW's/Alpina and my Mercedes :)

I used to go to loads of airshows with my Dad in the late '70's and 80's. Greenham Common was always a favourite - i remember all the peace protesters by the fence as you went in. We'd often go and sit by the fence at the end of the runway in the days before the show to see various aircraft arrive. The SR-71 was a treat, and the C-5A Galaxy! And the Buccaneers always made a lot of noise! Aged about 10 me and my friend were allowed a can of Bud and a burger from the USAF barbecue. We'd giggle all afternoon and buy countless plastic kits and stickers. Happy days!
That takes me back. I used to do the same with my family - except we would go to USAF Mildenhall. Standout moments were the Blackbird on full reheat with tiger-tails taking off/fly-bys and the nutter in the F-16 who took off and went straight into a vertical climb from the end of the runway. Also the C5's and the Starlifter's were impressive planes (amongst many others!).

Ex-owner deleted the middle pipe resonator. I am looking for some replacement to put it back on. Would like the OEM sounds. Thinking to get a eisenmann sport exhaust if I couldn't find the stock middle pipe.

My son has a Mitsubishi Evo 8 running 460bhp and that is very loud both on induction and exhaust. I went to a car show with him and after 50 miles I wanted out of it as my head was pounding. On track it's a real toy that puts a lot to shame and gives you a massive buzz kicking it's head in but there is no way you could use it as a daily as it's just to brutal on the ears. I kind of get it that that sort of car should be loud and in your face but as you get older it's just nice being able to hear the radio.

Ex-owner deleted the middle pipe resonator. I am looking for some replacement to put it back on. Would like the OEM sounds. Thinking to get a eisenmann sport exhaust if I couldn't find the stock middle pipe.

Welcome to the forum:thumb:

Give Imran from Torqueflow exhausts in Small Heath Birmingham a call. He probably has a few C63 resonators knocking around and is more than happy to weld one back in place for you.

Welcome to the forum:thumb:

Give Imran from Torqueflow exhausts in Small Heath Birmingham a call. He probably has a few C63 resonators knocking around and is more than happy to weld one back in place for you.
Belive it or not. I have worked in Small heath business park few years ago. And my supervisor called Imran too. Totally different working area. That sounds nice. I will note this, and have a look when i go up there. Many thanks.
Ah.... Couldn't get the excuse to buy a new catback them.

Anyone seen the ad for the new volvo electric thing? There is a lovely engine note for it driving along the road :wallbash: :D

Depends what you mean by that. Straight pipe made by a local garage for 1.6 Fiesta? Big no. But sport exhaust on a reasonable car is a great idea, love the sound of loud V8 or V6, that's the next thing I'm planning to do on my M272

How is your hearing these days?
I SAID... HOW IS YOUR HEARING? Y-O-U-R H-E-A-R-I-N-G ?

Oh, never mind..... :D
You will have to speak up, I'm a bit Mutt and Geoff.

Depends what you mean by that. Straight pipe made by a local garage for 1.6 Fiesta? Big no. But sport exhaust on a reasonable car is a great idea, love the sound of loud V8 or V6, that's the next thing I'm planning to do on my M272
There is a thing as too much for a dailydriver... if you get exhaust drone inside the car, you are done for:p

We have all done it with our first car ..Get it to sound louder by fitting a back box ..Me,, i took a pair of rear silencers that had been hanging on the wall for years . That was after my huncle had put them on there when he took his Douglas Dragonfly to pieces . ..He never knew they were missing untill 50 years and three house moves later , when he decided to rebuilding the bike .. It took ages to find a pair of silencers to finish the restoration off ..

Hi , to me a fast quite road car is the ultimate p**s off for a boy racer
"

Why do owners like cars to be noisy​

It's a substitute for an extremely small p....

No, sorry, typed that by mistake.

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom