Why do owners of cabriolets do this ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many years ago, in the Autocar magazine there was a brief 'pros' and 'cons' section for each new car on sale.

The Rolls-Royce Corniche convertible went something like that:

Cons: The peasants can hurl abuse at you as you drive by with the roof down.

Pros: Let 'em.

As I'm sure you know it can sometimes be too hot and sunny to have the roof down. I forgot this and both myself and my wife got slight sun burn last Saturday.

I never park my car with the roof down.
When we were queuing in our SLK on the way out of Le Mans after the race in 2009, it was just so hot especially on my forearms. We were literally cooking with the roof down even with A/C blowing cold air out of the vents. Had to close the roof. It's sometimes like that in the UK, last year's hot spell being a good example.

We also tend to have roof closed for long motorway journeys.

Yes, open top cars are great at 'wafting' speeds but are terribly noisy at high speed, you'd go deaf on the motorway just from everybody else's traffic noise.
It's always ear plugs and helmet on two wheels so I can enjoy my own little quiet, tranquil space.

If you are lucky you just about get SL wafting speeds on Motorways these days! At least with all the stop start roadworks you get to enjoy some sunshine whilst queuing. The downside is you share in everyone's music tastes [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

If you are lucky you just about get SL wafting speeds on Motorways these days! At least with all the stop start roadworks you get to enjoy some sunshine whilst queuing. The downside is you share in everyone's music tastes [emoji57]

I’ve only taken our current one on the motorway once, it was pissing down.

I've seen many a time and I must admit I wouldn't do it. Fair play to those that trust others with their cars but I avoid supermarkets for fear of the car getting scraped let alone some knuckle dragger lobbing a cigarette or empty (or full) drinks container into an open convertible.

The main problem I have with leaving the roof down on the Beetle is having someone mistake it for a skip and coming back to find a mattress dumped inside.

Cheers,

Gaz

I often leave mine roof down if I’m just popping into a shop....never give it a second thought. Not sure why really! I guess I do like to look at it parked up and roof down....sad eh?!

We used to do it in our tf as we were peasants with manual roofs.

On my walk from car to supermarket front door I spotted 4 cars with their roofs down and their owners (presumably) shopping in the windowless hangar that is the super store. Why would you do this?

Because I can, because I have a convertible...

I often leave mine roof down if I’m just popping into a shop....never give it a second thought. Not sure why really! I guess I do like to look at it parked up and roof down....sad eh?!
Love an honest answer [emoji16]

I always close mine unless, I am only going to be gone a couple of minutes and can see the car - eg while paying for petrol as I did about 2 hours ago!

Would never leave it open anywhere while unattended for all the reasons stated, jealous people, jealous birds, jealous weather.:)

When we were queuing in our SLK on the way out of Le Mans after the race in 2009, it was just so hot especially on my forearms. We were literally cooking with the roof down even with A/C blowing cold air out of the vents. Had to close the roof. It's sometimes like that in the UK, last year's hot spell being a good example.

I had a SLK in Australia.....it was my daily drive and great with the top down to and from work but hopeless in the middle of the day - just too hot!

Just popping into a shop for a few minutes I might leave the roof down but generally would close it just for the bird $hit avoidance.
Last week I called in at Tesco and was likely to be in there for 10 minutes so I closed the roof. On my way out I passed SWMBO's SLK and she had parked it with the roof down:doh:

Those power hoods only have so many thousands of up and downs before they throw the towel in. If it was me I'd probably keep a little note of how many times I'd used it. In my Stag days I used to keep an "open toppage" log! (and often left it roof down and, luckily, never had any probs.)

I had a Stag for six years and during the first year, I came back to it one time to find bird poo on the seats. They were also textured, so it got into all the little nooks. After that I nearly always closed the lid if I left it parked up, even though it wasn't electric. Then I worried that someone might slash the mohair hood. Same with my R107 SL300 too. So if you're a worrier, you'll always find something to worry about!

Hadn't thought about the insurance aspect though.

I always leave my roof down and to be fair the thought of anyone damaging it has never entered my head.

As for bird poop...... you clean it off the roof or the seat.

I’ve got three kids though so can’t be too precious about our cars, had an eight foot Acer tree in the w124 cab today.

Ah, the advantages of dating classy birds;)

I was hoping someone would see that aspect of it before I had to embarrass myself...

I was hoping someone would see that aspect of it before I had to embarrass myself...
I am sure you will manage it anyway [emoji57]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom