Why do some AMG owners drive like knobs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The biggest problem is that people buy these high powered cars and quite a few do not know how to drive properly.

I would suggest that they get an advanced driving qualification under their belts before trying some spirited driving. Anyone can drive a car fast, but how many can do so safely?

Last night I followed a young lad through reasonably heavy traffic in Birmingham City centre in a Corsa VXR. No seat belt, hard on the accelerator, the same on the brakes, weaving through traffic, and he must have changed lanes abruptly twenty times in the space of a mile or so.

We passed him just before we turned off that road, without having changed lanes once. In a slower car it was an accident waiting to happen, in a car as quick as a Corsa VXR I fear he may have not made it his destination without some kind of incident.

He put the safety of himself and those around him at real risk twenty times, and managed to achieve nothing.

Ironically we followed what appeared to be a teenager driving a C63 in the opposite direction on precisely the same stretch of road earlier in the day, and he drove so slowly everyone else had to pass like a rolling road block!

This isn't a thread about AMG drivers specifically being knobs/nobs, or a post about VXR drivers specifically driving dangerously, it's about people without self restraint, who for some strange reason think that other people are impressed by their lack of restraint, and/or there are no consequences for them should the unthinkable happen.

Rant over.

Last night I followed a young lad through reasonably heavy traffic in Birmingham City centre in a Corsa VXR. No seat belt, hard on the accelerator, the same on the brakes, weaving through traffic, and he must have changed lanes abruptly twenty times in the space of a mile or so.

We passed him just before we turned off that road, without having changed lanes once. In a slower car it was an accident waiting to happen, in a car as quick as a Corsa VXR I fear he may have not made it his destination without some kind of incident.

He put the safety of himself and those around him at real risk twenty times, and managed to achieve nothing.

Ironically we followed what appeared to be a teenager driving a C63 in the opposite direction on precisely the same stretch of road earlier in the day, and he drove so slowly everyone else had to pass like a rolling road block!

This isn't a thread about AMG drivers specifically being knobs/nobs, or a post about VXR drivers specifically driving dangerously, it's about people without self restraint, who for some strange reason think that other people are impressed by their lack of restraint, and/or there are no consequences for them should the unthinkable happen.

Rant over.

Rant? Maybe. But it was a very good rant. :thumb:

Ant

i drive among other things my wifes A45 Amg now and again , i dont drive like a knob and fortunatly neither does she , i also drive a 2014 Audi R8 v10 plus so will that qualify me as a knob :) :)

i drive among other things my wifes A45 Amg now and again , i dont drive like a knob and fortunatly neither does she , i also drive a 2014 Audi R8 v10 plus so will that qualify me as a knob :) :)

You should be alright in the A45, the Audi on the other hand...? :D

hi Paul see you also own a couple of bikes , ive got a 2012 Ducati Panigale Tricolore s , and a 2014 Ducati Diavel Carbon White ,

You're both knobs....:D

(I've got a 1995 Guzzi Nevada, and I hate you both...)

hi Paul see you also own a couple of bikes , ive got a 2012 Ducati Panigale Tricolore s , and a 2014 Ducati Diavel Carbon White ,

Nice, my local garage owner has a Panigale, the 1299, he wishes he still had his 998 though, he says that everything was in the right place on his 998 but he still hasn't got used to the Panigale.

You're both knobs....:D

(I've got a 1995 Guzzi Nevada, and I hate you both...)

I've had my Ducati for about 4 years now, it's yellow, not the usual red with just over 13,000 miles on it. It's a biposto but with a mono seat - to be honest, it's not turned a wheel for the last 3 years so should have belts done before I ride it again. It's an appreciating asset I suppose, it's now worth almost double what I paid for it.

The ZZR I bought new in 1993 for £7k, it's not turned a wheel since 2003, it's got a massive 2300 miles on it and probably still worth what I paid for it.

Get out on those bikes; that's what they're FOR. I ride all mine (well, except the second VX800, which is still awaiting repair after an accident in 2012 - I should now be able to get round to it this winter).

I only ride shafties these days, hence the Guzzi, the two VXs, and an XJ900F. None are immaculate, 'cos they all get used...:thumb:

Nope, wrong again. Driving dangerously IS against the law and puts others peoples safety and property at unnecessary risk, nothing to do with what I deem is OK.

Why is this so hard for you to understand? Driving dangerously in built up areas is the whole subject of this thread. The fact that you think these people should be left alone because they're just 'having fun' is horrifying.

As for wheeling out videos to demonstrate the point, there are scores and scores of such videos on the internet, 'aww bless 'em, look at little (insert dickhead's name here) having fun in his car'.

The accident in that video wasn't reported to police as it should have been. I wonder how much the sign repair cost the taxpayer? The car is believed to be wearing false number plates too but hey its just a bit of fun. Are you gaining an insight now into the type of person that drives like that?

EDITED! It's f**king pointless on here!

Last edited:
You get lots of people on here, some of whom might seem to you to be self-righteous bell ends.

Believe it or not, some of them might think you were a gobby d**khead with an attitude problem!

As I said, you get lots of people on here. Perhaps it is time you were not one of them?

I only ride shafties these days, hence the Guzzi, the two VXs, and an XJ900F. None are immaculate, 'cos they all get used...:thumb:

The XJ9 was my first 'big bike' and I used it for commuting and fun (circa 24,000 miles a year). I gave up after seven months and traded it for an FJ12 because that didn't have black paint and lots of chrome…I really got fed up with having to use a toothbrush on the fins every other day and having to wash it almost every other day. I never had a chromed bike again after that; it was much admired (because I kept it clean and shiny) but never again.

I had an FJ12 too - black, but not much chrome. I'm not even faintly obsessive about cleaning my bikes, though; I keep them to ride, not to look pretty...

You get lots of people on here, some of whom might seem to you to be self-righteous bell ends.

Believe it or not, some of them might think you were a gobby d**khead with an attitude problem!

As I said, you get lots of people on here. Perhaps it is time you were not one of them?

Ooo, sticks and stones and all that! :D Anyway no probs, selling the SL so will be gone soon! :thumb:

A great car let down by poor reliability (and the bores who own the lesser end of the marque)!

Ooo, sticks and stones and all that! :D Anyway no probs, selling the SL so will be gone soon! :thumb:

A great car let down by poor reliability (and the bores who own the lesser end of the marque)!

What are you buying next? A Jaguar of some description?

Late XKR yes :thumb:

Definitely on my to-do list in the future, I nearly bought an early XKR soft top last year but faffed too much and the bloke sold it.

Love them in "French Racing Blue" too, especially the XFR-S.

Definitely on my to-do list in the future, I nearly bought an early XKR soft top last year but faffed too much and the bloke sold it.

Love them in "French Racing Blue" too, especially the XFR-S.

They are a little bit old man to some, but I had an XJ and loved it like no other car so time to get back into some 'old man metal' I guess :D

Sad about the SL but the ABC suspension and boot/rear window seals are a dumb design ... no amount of arguing will convince me otherwise!

They are a little bit old man to some, but I had an XJ and loved it like no other car so time to get back into some 'old man metal' I guess :D

The XF-S I owned earlier on this year was simply phenomenal (even for a diesel) the cabin was whisper quiet and there was barely any road roar from the 20" wheels. I'll definitely be looking at early XF-R's at some point in the future, I could sit and watch those rotating air vents all day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom