Why do we buy AMG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
5003289545_11fe5aefa9_z_d.jpg

Good man, as Mika said - 100k performance for 50k, yes please. I also think it is stealthy and more subtle Thame BMW M cars.

That's nice, I always prefered the look of the 18" 5 spokes though.

Nice car the C63.

To own an AMG is simply something everyone in their life has to do at some point.

I went to Stuttgart on 06' and was treated to a 3day weekend compliments of Mercedes at which time we drove every car on the production line at that point including some rather tasty special stuff.

Put simply, those 3 days have never left me, they taught me how to drive a proper car, properly - and the best thing about it is, that I have the keys to one of Mercedes best loved models in my pocket right now to do whatever I want to do with it.

And it's mine and no-one can ever take it away from me :O)

I bought mine because it was top of the range. And I love everything top of the range.

I bought mine because when I read the Autocar Road Test I couldn't believe how rapid it was - in 2001 a car that could do 0-100 mph in 10.8 seconds was VERY special. Not much even now, 10 years later that can manage it. That's what got me hooked.

When the time came to buy something a bit special I wanted something subtle which blended in with everything else on the road (not wishing to draw the wrong type of attention), was automatic (for an easy stop/start commute), had four doors (company policy for business use), was a little 'odd ball' (because I like to be a little different), and went like stink (because I like stinkers!!).

An AMG was the best fit!! The Ferrari 456 was close, but sadly cost a fortune and didn't do the subtle thing quite so well. I'd still love one though!!

if everything going according to plan, I'll be picking mine up in October :bannana:

I like its practical nature, i like the badge ;), I like its almost Q car status, and above all else, that exhaust noise!!!

Although, I must admit, I nearly put a deposit down for another Ariel Atom :)

P1000248.jpg

This thread reminds me: I recently attended a leadership development programme, a big part of which is understanding yourself better. I've done much of it before, but one of the questionnaire-based tools was new to me. The results were interesting, and one of the descriptors of that 'type' was a strong affinity to brands, which seemed odd at first glance.

I looked down and sure enough I had a branded t-shirt, branded shorts, branded shoes, branded watch, and it dawned on me that I even sniffed out a car that had two - not just the one - brand on the bootlid!!

All very subtle but good quality in the same way the car is. Possibly goes some way to explaining AMG ownership in my case.

Actually, I am thinking of having my C63 estate debadged, and put C180 badge on it, not going to fool anyone, but I have a sense of humour, lol :D

Thanks for the pic of a debadged car, do they also debadged the side as well??

I've been thinking of debadging mine and putting E220 CDI on it too:D,
The reason I got an AMG?, what else can go as fast,start when you turn the key,seat 5 in comfort and have the understated stealthy looks of a modern Mercedes?, yes I know the BMW M5 would fit the bill too but prefer the mountain of useable torque and the interior of the AMG.

I also don't really understand why some seem to slate the C63 I think their great and would have one in a second,their just out of my price range at the moment.

One of my friends had a M5, it did 12mpg round town, thats him being careful with the loud pedal, and it sounded like a diesel on idle :rolleyes:

Frankly, I couldn't care less how other cars are supposedly has better handling than C63., I'll never gets to found out its on limit handling characteristics.

Find me a car thats as practical and roomy as C class estate with a stonking V8 engine, and the exhaust note that will make your hairs stand on end at the back of your neck :thumb:(or my willie go hard :D

Last edited:
I bought mine as previously I had a Boxster which because of living in the sticks spent 5 months in the garage under cover.It is comfy to drive and has plenty of headroom as I have 2 sons nearly 6 foot.It has all the toys and my wife feels ultra safe when driving it.All in all its the right choice for us.

or my willie go hard :D [/SIZE]
Can a car really do that?? :D

So, what option code is the part that can do that? :D:D:D I don't seem to have that on mine...

Last edited:
Can a car really do that?? :D

So, what option code is the part that can do that? :D:D:D I don't seem to have that on mine...
LOL, it come as standard on every AMG, failing that, you need to see your doctor :D

AMG - I got a CLS55 because I loved the SC engine, once sold I got the SL55 as I missed the engine. I've now driven the new turbo engine and it has the same wave of torque characteristic so my next Merc will have that engine. I buy AMG because I like the engines - simples.

The first AMG was the C43 which i sold last year,what a great car. ( Olly will testify to that ) A very subtle little four door saloon which always put a smile on my face.

The CL55 Kompressor that we have now is a totally different car. When the CL first came out in 2000 i thought it was the best design that MB had produced for a very long time and it has still not been surpassed.

A fellow member ( Maff ) had the CL55 and i had a ride in it at one of our GTG's. I promised myself when the opportunity arose i would have one. This is the car that i will keep as we will be touring the continent in our retirement (when ever that might be !! ) It is after all a Grand Tourer,designed for those lovely long European motorways + the A and B roads to test the ABC suspension.

Last edited:
Simple, understated, high performing, practical on daily basis and kind of mad! Thats why AMG. i like Benjy looked at virtually everthing, this is best in class.

Benjy, My C63 doesn't know what a supermarket is ;-).

Fast, discrete & German!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom