Why do we buy AMG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
AMG. Just an overpriced add -on kit aimed at immature men with more money than sense, to boost their egos . I look forward to the day i can afford one.

I have had my SL55 for nearly 9 years now and I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of driving it. It has performed faultlessly in all that time and never let me down - albeit that it has had regular servicing by a great MB dealer.

We have been to Europe many times, done a few track days and driven it slowly on sunny days with the roof down enjoying the open air motoring - and the sound!

In short, I cannot think of a more versatile car, which is understated and doesn't really draw too much attention. Each time I think about what might replace it, I come down to the fact that I cannot think of anything, apart from an SL63 or possibly SLS Roadster, that might be an "upgrade".

I am off to AMG on a factory tour - so we will see.

In the two and a half years I've owned my P&J I have never tired of driving it, cleaning it, polishing, even looking out of my window and simply staring at it.
Every drive is an event. Every time I gun it down a motorway slip road or give it its head on a country road it makes me grin, as well as any passengers. And since its de-cat it even sounds terrific - as I found to my delight in the Hindhead Tunnel this morning!
But despite all this it's still discreet, practical and 'grown-up'.

Why do we by AMG - why the hell wouldn't we? :D

As an engineer things in my life have to be justified by specification, show me another car with the performance, comfort, practicality, reliability and relatively low running costs (im self employed, if I cant commute I cant earn, a car that burns lots of fuel but gets me to work is actually cheaper) of an AMG and ill buy it, oh yeah there isnt, thats why im on my third one,

It has precisely nothing to do with making up for something, marketing (my AMGs are 12+ years old so I dont buy into bling culture) or needing the looks, on the 210 its form follows function (like the racing cars and military vehicles I design) things look like something for a reason, big wheels mean big brakes, low skirts and bumpers help aerodynamics, big tyres mean big grip, big exhausts are there to get big volumes of gases out of big engines, big engines are there for going fast, going fast may not be big and clever but there are plenty of places where it can be done legally,

Some people may not like taking their pride and joy on a track but when it costs what a W210 E55 costs and I have no kids as I have chosen not to have them who gives themselves the right to tell me im wasting my money on petrol and brake pads?

Put very simply I drive an AMG because I enjoy it, not just because I want it, I want an 18 year old nympho who owns a pub and a fleet of road legal group C racing cars amongst other things, I would encourage anybody to go and try an AMG and see what a great conversion they are from standard cars when you understand what they are for, yes a BMW M car may be better around a track from a handling feedback point of view but in my opinion an AMG is a cut price continent crusher which raises my heatbeat above normal with ever little stab of the right pedal and in my current life situation I cant think of owning anything else,

Over and out

I got an AMG for the same reason I got a Mercedes.

Any car will do what a Mercedes will.

so it is Because I wanted one.

I had 2 SLK,s before I got the SLK55. The 55 was a practical as the previous SLK but had performance to go with it. Apart from the MPG is was far better everywhere, easier to drive, nicer trim....just the whole package. And it was debadged, which was almost pointless when you saw it, but my view was it was my car, If you knew what it was, you would ask about it, if you didn't it was a Mercedes.

I had 2 cars in those days.

When I moved over here, I am a bit restricted on car parking space, so I wanted a car with room, ability and understated performance. And so the Trollmobile arrived. A C63AMG estate, debadged.

After 2 years of ownership, on an island with a 35mph max speed limit and a coast road 22 miles long, I got fed up with going to the petrol station every 2 weeks and spending about £70 each time and not being able to see where it went. Back in the UK the average mileage is a lot better however round here, it just ate fuel. I never saw an average of more than 17mpg here, and yet within a few miles of the ferry port on the southcoast, easily mid 20's.

I found I did not need the room as much as I thought I would, and the ride, was not the softest, and it started to make sense to me that it seemed to be a cost with no benefit.

The car was excellent. I just got fed up paying out and never using it.

A Fiat 500C twin air was on the cards until I turned up at the dealers and went for the Abarth instead. It is a million times more suited to the island it lives on.

It could do with a V8 though, and Merc build quality, and merc thoughtfullness.........but hey...time to move on and grow up etc.

So thats why I bought a AMG.

People may wish to feel that my reasoning is not the same as theirs.....Good. it would be a rubbish world if you lot all thought like me.

Which is probably why AMG and BMW and Jaguar, come to that Abarth all exist in the first place.

One assumes that getting rid of a SLK 55AMG for a Chrysler 300C, which got replaced by a Fabia VRs which was replaced by a C63AMG estated, which was replaced by a Abarth 500C should pretty much destroy any notion of wanting to show off to neighbours or posing etc.

And I would have a Yeti too. How can you live with not having a Yeti in your life? If they ever bring the pano roof to the UK spec Yeti, that might be a goer.

:ban:

If they ever bring the pano roof to the UK spec Yeti, that might be a goer.

pan roof is now available. mate took delivery of his Yeti with the wonderful panoramic roof last Sat ...

he's now decided he wants an E class estate instead!

Back in 2003 when I bought a three year old C43 I was looking for something small-ish, German, discrete and powerful for about £20k

The only comparable cars I shortlisted were Audi S4's and Alpina 3 Series.

Alpinas were even harder to find than C43's and S4's were manual-only.

So a C43 it was then.

Quite simply, M cars compete In every way..
As an engineer things in my life have to be justified by specification, show me another car with the performance, comfort, practicality, reliability and relatively low running costs (im self employed, if I cant commute I cant earn, a car that burns lots of fuel but gets me to work is actually cheaper) of an AMG and ill buy it, oh yeah there isnt, thats why im on my third one,

It has precisely nothing to do with making up for something, marketing (my AMGs are 12+ years old so I dont buy into bling culture) or needing the looks, on the 210 its form follows function (like the racing cars and military vehicles I design) things look like something for a reason, big wheels mean big brakes, low skirts and bumpers help aerodynamics, big tyres mean big grip, big exhausts are there to get big volumes of gases out of big engines, big engines are there for going fast, going fast may not be big and clever but there are plenty of places where it can be done legally,

Some people may not like taking their pride and joy on a track but when it costs what a W210 E55 costs and I have no kids as I have chosen not to have them who gives themselves the right to tell me im wasting my money on petrol and brake pads?

Put very simply I drive an AMG because I enjoy it, not just because I want it, I want an 18 year old nympho who owns a pub and a fleet of road legal group C racing cars amongst other things, I would encourage anybody to go and try an AMG and see what a great conversion they are from standard cars when you understand what they are for, yes a BMW M car may be better around a track from a handling feedback point of view but in my opinion an AMG is a cut price continent crusher which raises my heatbeat above normal with ever little stab of the right pedal and in my current life situation I cant think of owning anything else,

Over and out

They are the natural rivals to AMG in the BMW scene.

I know that.

He'd quoted someone who had extolled the virtues of an AMG and said that M cars compete in every way. Which is subject to opinion. Yet he didn't give any reason why the M cars compete in every way.

All this in a first post.

I know that.

He'd quoted someone who had extolled the virtues of an AMG and said that M cars compete in every way. Which is subject to opinion. Yet he didn't give any reason why the M cars compete in every way.

All this in a first post.

Maybe dhard is back

More powerful than I need?

Faster than I am allowed to drive?

More expensive than I can afford?

Sorry, I just have to have one!

Why do we buy AMG?

I know why i would like to have one, i was at MB WORLD yesterday with my son Paul

I had one of the AMG driving experiences booked for midday, WOW What a day, We had a CLS AMG V8 6.3 LITRE OVER 530HP 0-62 3.9 SEC

What an adrenelin rush the thrill of all that power i had it up to 95mph along the short straight then stand on the brakes ,A fantastic day a fantastic car a fantastic experience and i have it on a memory stick that in itself is worth having its a very nice chrome and leather stick

Those of you that have done it will know what i mean

Thats why i would love to buy one BUT PROBABLY NEVER WILL :thumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom