Why driving bans don't work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fines don't work either - people like that simply don't pay them.

Community service doesn't work either - they don't turn up.

Prison doesn't work either - he'll be out in 10 months or less and carry on where he left off.

That's why there are so many disqualified drivers on the road and prisons are a revolving door for habitual re-offenders.

As the traditional punishments clearly provide no deterrent, perhaps we need to move onto something that does.

Removing a body part should slow him down a bit.

I'm no lawyer but couldn't repeatedly flouting driving bans be considered contempt of court, for which the penalties are, I believe, unlimited?

How about bringing back transportation to the Colonies ? Antarctica is nice this time of year :)

They don't work for career criminals, and people who the judicial system is a part of life.

They work for the rest of us. I had a 28 day driving ban early on in my driving career and it massively inconvenienced me. I've never done the thing I did again. To be fair, I was unlikely to have done the thing again anyway, but the 28 days felt like a year.

Perhaps a more traditional / archaic method of punishment, as was used on ships might help the offender remember not to be a naughty boy. Some people just leave behind the rules of conventional society and need treating in a non conventional way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_o'_nine_tails

Mr Schwingen should be 'schwingen' from the end of a rope! That'd stop him taking the p*ss!

Or am I being too non-pc?

Fines don't work either - people like that simply don't pay them.

Community service doesn't work either - they don't turn up.

Prison doesn't work either - he'll be out in 10 months or less and carry on where he left off.

That's why there are so many disqualified drivers on the road and prisons are a revolving door for habitual re-offenders.

Other countries have punishments which seem barbaric : cut off the hand of a thief etc .

For those who repeatedly flout driving bans , and have endangered others , or caused actual harm or death , perhaps amputation of the right foot would be appropriate .

They don't work for career criminals, and people who the judicial system is a part of life.

They work for the rest of us. I had a 28 day driving ban early on in my driving career and it massively inconvenienced me. I've never done the thing I did again. To be fair, I was unlikely to have done the thicng again anyway, but the 28 days felt like a year.

I remember , years ago , a pal got four speeding tickets within a year , and earned himself a month's ban - so he went to France for the month , with his car , since at that time ( 30+ years ago ) the ban didn't apply there , and when he came back his licence was clean again !

Removing a body part should slow him down a bit.

Yep, I've suggested this many times. Every time these people are caught offending, remove one of their fingers/thumbs. They'd soon stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
A slightly less barbaric solution , two actually now I think of it ...

For persistent petty offenders , bring back the stocks and chain them up in the town centre for a day or ten so that the public can pelt them with rotten food etc .

Why not follow the example of the USA and have prisoners formed into ' chain gangs ' where they have to go out and perform ' hard labour ' mending potholes in the roads ; removing giant hogweeds from the countryside , cultivating wasteland , digging gardens for the elderly , or 101 other things ...

Yep, I've suggested this many times. Every time these people are caught offending, remove one of their fingers/thumbs. They'd soon stop.

For rapists and paedophiles , I can think of another body part that should be removed as a matter of course ...

Why not follow the example of the USA and have prisoners formed into ' chain gangs ' where they have to go out and perform ' hard labour ' mending potholes in the roads ; removing giant hogweeds from the countryside , cultivating wasteland , digging gardens for the elderly , or 101 other things ...

I really wouldn't follow the USA when it comes to anything related to the criminal justice system.

Theirs is an even worse and more expensive failure than ours.

The whole system of issuing a disqualification to a driver who is already disqualified makes absolutely no sense. By driving while disqualified they are IMO, in contempt of court and should be prosecuted for being in contempt of court.

A disqualification is as a good as a 'get out of jail card' for these people. Who simply walk out the court, round the back, get in their cars and drive off again.

This morning we have this in the local papers, following a very well pubicised 'road rage attack that has left and elderly gentlemen in hospital'. We now read that his attacked was another disqualified driver 'raging and assaulting' another road user, while he was driving while disqualified.

Will he get another disqualification?

John Paterson, from Strood, denies GBH after 'road rage attack' in the Esplanade, Rochester

I really wouldn't follow the USA when it comes to anything related to the criminal justice system.

Theirs is an even worse and more expensive failure than ours.

While I agree broadly , I think that for some criminals , such as the persistent offender who was the subject of this thread , for whom our prison system seems to be no deterrent , and for whom rehabilitation just doesn't seem to work ; after trying the more conventional options which may work with others , the regime should kick up a gear and make prison a much less pleasant place to be .

It might be a matter of having some prisons for first time or lower level offenders , who might be rehabilitated and return to society ; and other prisons with harder regimes , for those who persistently reoffend , and who will only be deterred by the prospect of punitive custody and days comprising of physically hard labour , which at the same time would provide services useful to the community .

Certain offenders such as drug dealers and organised criminals should just be sent straight to the hard labour prisons .

They could , for example , build hard labour prisons on the site of coal mines which were closed for economic reasons , and send the prison workforce underground with picks and shovels to dig up the coal . That way there would be no need to take gangs outside prison walls .

I still think mending the roads would be a useful activity too though .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom