Why I Drive An AMG.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mines not an AMG but I can truly relate to this feeling when you start the car up in the morning. I agree the sound of the M3 V8 is not as grand as that of the AMGs but it something about knowing the amount of power you have under the right foot and that V8 soundtrack that does it for you.

We're just all true petrol heads. :)

Why did I have to read this, I already miss my AMG :(

Not wishing to rub your nose in it at all but I came close to contemplating selling mine recently.

What you typed above is exactly what stopped me from doing it.

Even the oomph has improved on the cold dry mornings

I've noticed that too :D

It's just a great feeling to know you will almost never have the occasion to go WOT (other than for self indulgent purposes, on private roads, of course).

I've had loads of previous cars; too many to mention here, but I will mention my 1st merc. It was a 250s with a floor change and a Becker Mexico self seeker radio (the rage in late '60s early '70s). I used it in Germany and imported it when I was stationed in Ulster. I kept it for about 5 years and sold it for more than I paid for it. That car went to India.

Anyway, more recently, I decided I needed an adrenalin rejuvenation and it occurred to me that every bloke should own a V8 before pegging out. So off I went to buy a Range Rover V8 and when I saw the Ml55 AMG parked next to it - it was a no-brainer.

I don't know if my ML has been tweaked before I bought it but for such a big lump it can really shove my back into the seat when I boot it.

I have had the car for 18 months now and I've never seen another ML55 AMG so they must be a bit thin on the ground. This one has Kleeman 20" wheels and I love it.

I am new to the marque, having merely decided I wanted a V8 and ending up with a C43 AMG. I am feeling the same about my AMG as all the comments above. It makes no sense, but that's not the 'why' of it. It's slower off the mark than a decent Impreza turbo, it's not as sure round corners as any Audi Quattro, it's way more expensive than my diesel Focus and not as involving as a bike. But it makes a right good noise, feels solid (despite some rust that needs sorting), refined and classy and I just like sitting in it at whatever speed the traffic dictates. Anyway, it's the same brand as Lewis's car!!!!

Don't have mine anymore. Unfortunately.
There is a white C63 coupe I see in town nowadays that just sounds sublime. He holds it in 1st/2nd as he drives down the high street and I think 'is that what mine sounded like?'.
Incoming!!!

I've noticed that too :D

It's just a great feeling to know you will almost never have the occasion to go WOT (other than for self indulgent purposes, on private roads, of course).

I've noticed it more since it was tinkered with. The whole car feels 'urgent' now when making good progress.

No - most of the time, half throttle is all that is required...

The engine. The noise. The pure grin factor. The understated image in comparison to an M car. The rare factor for a w203 AMG still yet to see another on the road locally.

Refreshing to hear this! Just bought an SLK55 which I should be collecting at the end of this week.

Coming from an E46 M3 the V8 was additive on the test drive and I was sold at the cold start of that fab V8. The growl really is something else. I had a go in a E92 M3 (4.0L V8) however it is pretty subtle, even with an exhaust, compared to a 55 AMG.

I'll post up more once I get it :D

I wanted another big fast estate to replace my Saab 9-5 Aero (I loved it), so I bought a W210 E55, Woo Hooooo... bags of creamy-smooth torque, no turbo lag, quite a bit quicker, and no slouch in absolute terms when the need arose. I loved it.

Then I bought an E55K estate. Bonkers; absolutely bonkers.

The power delivery is ludicrously, intimidatingly immediate, and even today, eleven years after its launch, a bog-standard E55K is not significantly slower (in a straight line, at least) than anything, of any age, except for the exotica, the seriously pricey, and the modified; it must have been an absolute sensation when first launched.

I bought a very comfortable, refined, five/seven-seat family estate with the performance of a seriously fast sports car for the price of a five-year-old Ford Focus. Bonkers; absolutely bonkers. I love it....

renault12ts said:
You do of course mean only AMGs with V8s...
the straight 6 is also mental for what it is !:)

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I love my cls 55amg. The noise the speed, it's lovely! The way the car just screams when flooring it makes me fall in love with it every time lol I will have no other mark,..... Just v8 AMG's all the time :)

renault12ts said:
OK then...you mean a petrol AMG...with a tuned engine.
and diesel try a C30cdi AMG !;)

Don't have mine anymore. Unfortunately.
There is a white C63 coupe I see in town nowadays that just sounds sublime. He holds it in 1st/2nd as he drives down the high street and I think 'is that what mine sounded like?'.
Incoming!!!

I bet the school kids hanging around outside the fried chicken shop at 4 o'clock think he's dead cool.

Our local RICS guy drives an M3.

Tuesday he was at the lights right next to me with his window down.

Well, I mean, it was too good an opportunity to miss, though it wasn't by any means a race.

After we finished discussing a freehold purchase yesterday he told my how wonderful my V8 n/a sounded, compared to his Beemer.

50plus (age, not waist size) petrolheads are alive and kicking :thumb:

Our local RICS guy drives an M3.

Tuesday he was at the lights right next to me with his window down.

Well, I mean, it was too good an opportunity to miss, though it wasn't by any means a race.

After we finished discussing a freehold purchase yesterday he told my how wonderful my V8 n/a sounded, compared to his Beemer.

50plus (age, not waist size) petrolheads are alive and kicking :thumb:

Hey John,

I've got an M3 and although it sounds decent, I agree there is no comparison to the sound of the N/A V8 AMGs.

:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom