Why is ebay such a rip off? cup holders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-A-R-Y

Car
W210 320 CDI Estate
I've been looking at getting a cup holder for my W210, Then suddenly there are loads from the same seller on ebay.

I've kept watch of the prices hoping they will fall.

Out of curiosity I called the main agents, you've guessed it. They only cost £21 before discount and VAT(and it was in stock so I got one)

So why do people pay so much on ebay.
Is it that easy to make money?

Crooks sell all types of things, Keys that dont work, A 1p resistor to boost your engine by 20hp, All kinds of other thing dearer than at MB like the radio removal keys for £4 and £1 from MB

You DO have to be carefull

Know your stuff and have a limit, people simply get carried away in the bidding war....

Saying that because of this I've done ok selling using e-bay :)

In fairness to eBay. You pays your money you takes your chances.:devil:
I buy and sell on there quite a lot & if someone wants to pay more than list price surely that’s up to them.:rolleyes:

As a seller I am more than happy to sell something at over list price if someone wants to pay it.:devil:

It’s the fact that people always presume things are cheaper on eBay when that simply isn't the case.:confused:
If I am buying I always always check the retail prices before I buy.

Before anyone asks no I don’t sell cup holders:D

as malcolm said people sell things more than they actually are because peoplke think they are getting a bargin :crazy: and as a210amg ays you do have to be careful..if i buy anything of e bay i always read the sellers history in all as they may be selling something expensive and everthing they have previous sold is only pennies then THE ALARM BELLS START RINGING as they (imo) are trying to make a false sales history to rip people off big time :mad: :mad:

I've been looking at getting a cup holder for my W210, Then suddenly there are loads from the same seller on ebay.

I've kept watch of the prices hoping they will fall.

Out of curiosity I called the main agents, you've guessed it. They only cost £21 before discount and VAT(and it was in stock so I got one)

So why do people pay so much on ebay.
Is it that easy to make money?

there are 2 types high level and low level center console ..... be carefull

If people are only too willing to pay ebay prices without checking out the RRP or prices from other sources first then so be it. Sadly we dont live in a world where people in business will offer things at cost to others, remember there are now an awful lot of businesses on ebay that only run through ebay :crazy:

I have less problem with the prices on ebay than I do with forums where people can be ripped off - but again you makes your choice and you pays your money :(

Last edited:
Its not just the cup holder - the chrome trim around the gear lever is about £12 from MB but on ebay its about £15 plus post and its not even the original thing !!!!

There's more to it than just price.

Sometimes peeps will buy on ebay & pay more than the RRP for the convenience. Not having to drive to the dealership (which may be 20, 30 50 miles away) & just being able to click a button & have the thing show up on your doorstep a few days later has it's attractions.

There's more to it than just price.

Sometimes peeps will buy on ebay & pay more than the RRP for the convenience. Not having to drive to the dealership (which may be 20, 30 50 miles away) & just being able to click a button & have the thing show up on your doorstep a few days later has it's attractions.

You don't need to use ebay for that.

http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk/ - They do the same but its the original part, the postage cost is minimal, and you get 10% discount aswell.

Often people get carried away and pay far more for an item that the seller is actually selling the same thing for in his Ebay Shop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom