Why is it working better now? (Gearbox)

Discussion in 'Engine' started by 01alam, Nov 22, 2008.

1. 01alam

01alam Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Hello All,

I have previously posted a few problems about my W114 Coupe gearbox not performing as it should (after driving for a while, stop in traffic in "D" car doesn't move, a bit like clutch slipping, but when change back to "N" and "D" again, work fine)

And I have also posted about my gearbox dipstick and subsequent overfilling.

I have not driven it since I have overfilled the gearbox with gearbox oil, until today. When I check the oil level is about 2 cm above the upper line.

Weather was nice, thought I might take it for a drive and I bought a oil pump that doesn't actually go as far as it needs to be.

But anyway back to the story, I was driving along and the problem I had about it not shift to gear when in "D" after standing in traffic has stopped happening! I am just wondering what is the logic behind this, obviously one explanation is that my dipstick is wrong?? or any other reasons that it is performing better with overfilled gearbox oil??

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Angus