Why is Mercedes not offering options in UK like rear wheel steering, E-Active body control, more engine options like V8 S Class, G500, GLS450?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raja1811

Car
GLA 220d
So I was going through Mercedes UK website for S Class and wondering why is Mercedes not offering lot of options in UK market like Rear wheel steering, different wheel option, E-Active Body Control etc. Even smaller markets like Ireland and South Africa it is being offered so it's not an issue of RHD. Same is the case with C Class also. If you see AMG we aren't offered Carbon Ceramic brakes, ventilated seats, limited wheel and upholstery options. Why MB UK doing this, it's very frustrating considering UK is the biggest RHD market for Mercedes?

I can't answer your question, but it seems that they all do that. I recently got a new Hyundai, and it's mind boggling how each country has different options. In the UK, for example, you can't order the panoramic roof, or the solar panel roof, or the electric rear seats option, or the auto pop-out door handles. Then, in each country in Europe and in the US you can get these options, but there are other options that are available in the UK and are not available over there. Then, the dascam option and digital side mirrors option are only available in South Korea, but nowhere else. Very perplexing.

They probably did a bit of market research in each region and the UK respondents didn't have an appetite for those features?

Though with C Class it's a bit half baked to offer heated seats but not a heated steering wheel (which is available to other regions).

Perhaps I can answer this, I was looking for an E class saloon with split rear folding seats in the UK for weeks and couldn't find one. When I asked a Mercedes dealership to check if one of their cars had that option they checked and I think he said you won't find a UK car like this because of the way the options are offered in the UK vs say Ireland. In Ireland the cars are effectively made to order, so the customer is presented with a list of every option to choose from. In the UK customers are presented with pre-configured packs of options, like premium pack or comfort pack. The split rear folding seats in an E class saloon isn't an option in any of the UK packs (I think mostly for historical reasons, it just wasn't offered in the UK in the past and still isn't now).

Perhaps I can answer this, I was looking for an E class saloon with split rear folding seats in the UK for weeks and couldn't find one. When I asked a Mercedes dealership to check if one of their cars had that option they checked and I think he said you won't find a UK car like this because of the way the options are offered in the UK vs say Ireland. In Ireland the cars are effectively made to order, so the customer is presented with a list of every option to choose from. In the UK customers are presented with pre-configured packs of options, like premium pack or comfort pack. The split rear folding seats in an E class saloon isn't an option in any of the UK packs (I think mostly for historical reasons, it just wasn't offered in the UK in the past and still isn't now).

Wierd how the c207 e350 coupe has split folding rear seats ??

Hi
When mbuk are offered a new model from mb they are also asked what they think would sell best in their market.
Say for example the a45 mbuk was offered the a35 a45 and the a45s they only took the a35 and the a45s and they said they did this because by cutting out the middle variant it would allow them to see more not the other 2. So I think this is why they do it with equipment. Bit misleading as all.adverts are shown with a non UK vehicle with optional equipment not available and I also think its build times as well.

When I was looking to buy the W204, I was looking for a 2013-2014 model year, and wanted the Executive SE (taller/softer suspension and smaller wheels) with the 'Elegance' grille and the upright bonnet star - and discovered that MB discontinued the 'Elegance' grille with the upright bonnet star on UK cars as of the 2013 model year. Why? Not clear. Possibly some markets research that showed the UK buyer prefer the Sport model grille, even on the Executive SE (Of course I could retrofit the grille from an earlier car, but I chose not to).

So I was going through Mercedes UK website for S Class and wondering why is Mercedes not offering lot of options in UK market like Rear wheel steering, different wheel option, E-Active Body Control etc. Even smaller markets like Ireland and South Africa it is being offered so it's not an issue of RHD. Same is the case with C Class also. If you see AMG we aren't offered Carbon Ceramic brakes, ventilated seats, limited wheel and upholstery options. Why MB UK doing this, it's very frustrating considering UK is the biggest RHD market for Mercedes?

I highlighted this after reading something about it previously towards the end of 2020.

See from the following post in the link below and onwards. I'm not convinced we will ever see them but the last post, and even what I posted, seem to cast doubt on my theory. If they don't offer RWS or E-Active Body Control, I won't ever be buying a W223.

The Link

I had these issues with my E Class. Wanted heated rear seats, cooled front seats etc which i think are not too much to ask on a +£50k car, but no. Irish cars yes. I think blame the company car and leasing markets. Too much spec difference makes rates difficult and also BiK arrangements. Maybe MB just don't want these unicorn spec cars cluttering up their marketing plans?

That said for my car the going rate as a LHD (new at the time) was between €85 to €95k (@ 1.13/£ at the time), but UK was £55k, so i guess a 25%+ price saving but not quite the spec you want suits most people. That said i could have order an utterly loaded bespoke 5 series estate or Audi A6. But i wanted the Merc. You pays your money, you takes your choice?

some options to do with drive train and steering ect maybe to do with it not being compatible with RHD

Indian Spec. Driven in India.

Just drove the w223 for an upgrade. It's amazing. Long wheel base version is very easy to drive in comparison to our w221 long wheel base.

Pros:
There are 4 controllable parameters, engine, transmission, suspension and steering. These can be set to sport/comfort.
Engine is very responsive, as is the transmission.
Visibility is the greatest factor of this sedan. I felt as if I was driving a C class. It does not seem long or wide, while driving. Extremely easy to maneuver and do a 3 point turn.
Steering wheel size is small and very good to grip on to for an overtaking session.
Airmatic has been improved to be sporty. Hell lot of sporty. It does not wobble like the W221.

Cons:
No option for a refrigerator.
No option for front passenger/driver seat cooling ventilation.
Rear seat functions are prone to glitches, so the quick set buttons for recline and normal seating is a hit or miss.
No option for a 4 way steering.
4matic limited to gasoline versions.

All the options you lack in the UK are the ones we lack in India as well. Taxes are higher here, yet the North Americans get the same sedan cheaper with more options.

All of the options i wanted are (or at the time were) available in the Irish and Australian markets (both RHD).
At the early lauch in 2021 July, W223 was imported from Germany. Those had all the options 4matic and 4wheel steering integrated. Now they are making them here locally since 2022 January. So lost all the goodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom