Why is service in the UK so poor?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
As many of you know I've just bought a VW Beetle for JSWMBO so thought I would get it serviced and checked over properly. So went on the VW forum and canvassed opinion in the trade who was a good VW Indie near me. On Monday I sent out 4 requests via the companies websites requesting a price for a full service and health check. Not one of them have replied despite sending me emails they have received and are dealing with my enquiry.

Is it me am I too impatient?? but I consider 4 days too long for a response to a simple request for pricing. Why is it garages never reply to email? When we had the business I made a point of replying within 24 hours and customers got an automated mail upon submission that they would be contacted in 24 hours.

So it looks like I have no option but to get a copy of VAGCOM and service and health check it myself, why don't people want your money in exchange for fair services?

It's all beyond me and no wonder our economy gets so screwed at times

I'm not entirely sure I blame them. Small firms just don't have the spare admin people to reply to emails, especially if they are already busy.

I can reply to most emails fairly quickly. If they are different or awkward then they have to wait until I get home. I then have to take time out of my evening...

As an example

Late one Friday night had an enquiry off my website. These are normally fairly direct as I have a form in place to keep them focused. Sent my quote on the Saturday morning.

Proceeded to have a number of emails through the day attempting to knock me on my price in a very direct manor and asking for a next day service to boot.

He then rang me on the Monday, saying he had someone else on the phone who'd do it for £50 less, so would I come down.... I suggested he gave the job to them.

I got the job, but it was a ballache throughout the weekend.

Sometimes you make a judgement at how busy you are at the time... I bet if you'd have rung them up you'd have had a reply.

Hi Ian.
What model is it ?
I'll ask Rodley's if they will give you a quote.
Cheers.
John

Let me know what you want doing and I'll speak to you tonight pal.

I'm not entirely sure I blame them. Small firms just don't have the spare admin people to reply to emails, especially if they are already busy.

That's true, but you'd think an email would be better than interupting them on the 'phone while in the mddle of a job

I try to keep the initial email to as few words as possible, but try to personalise it a little so as not make it look generic - as if I'm just trawling for pricing.

Just call them & ask.

Thanks for the replies to date

John & Lee Full Service on a 2002 VW Beetle 2.0 8v, Plugs, Air & oil Filters, Oil, cabin filter, check over and lube door hinges lube points.

I don't have time to waste to be on the phone to 4 different companies, 4 emails takes 30 seconds, if they dont reply within 2 days they don't get business simples :thumb:

This is the whole point of getting someone else to do it, I am capable, I have the tools and it would take me 1/2 a day, trouble is I don't have 1/2 a day spare and i'm getting to the age where doing things to cars by crawling under them on my drive doesn't really appeal anymore

I just think response to enquiries in this country is carp, In the USA I wouldn't even have to make a call or email turn up drop it off pick up 4 hours later done, now thats service

That's not an excuse. Better that they delete their email address so.

As many of you know I've just bought a VW Beetle for JSWMBO so thought I would get it serviced and checked over properly. So went on the VW forum and canvassed opinion in the trade who was a good VW Indie near me. On Monday I sent out 4 requests via the companies websites requesting a price for a full service and health check. Not one of them have replied despite sending me emails they have received and are dealing with my enquiry.

Is it me am I too impatient?? but I consider 4 days too long for a response to a simple request for pricing. Why is it garages never reply to email? When we had the business I made a point of replying within 24 hours and customers got an automated mail upon submission that they would be contacted in 24 hours.

So it looks like I have no option but to get a copy of VAGCOM and service and health check it myself, why don't people want your money in exchange for fair services?

It's all beyond me and no wonder our economy gets so screwed at times

No consolation I know but you're not on your own.

I agree completely if they cant answer promptly dont have it as a method of communication

This ^^^^^

My mate runs a small garage and clearly states he does not answer emails, but will happily take phone calls!

Works for him :thumb:

Customer service in this country has gone down hill rapidly.
It's one of my single most hates.

I honestly believe that retailers & service providers really want as little customer contact as possible.
Just off the phone to my insurance company after three calls to get my policy (business) clarified. It was a simple question requiring a simple yes or no answer - save us all!

John & Lee Full Service on a 2002 VW Beetle 2.0 8v, Plugs, Air & oil Filters, Oil, cabin filter, check over and lube door hinges lube points.

Their major service always includes the lubing of hinges and it's £180 all in. :thumb:

Their major service always includes the lubing of hinges and it's £180 all in. :thumb:

Cheers Lee you can tell me who tonight then i'll see about getting it in when I can swap cars with her

I honestly believe that retailers & service providers really want as little customer contact as possible.
Just off the phone to my insurance company after three calls to get my policy (business) clarified. It was a simple question requiring a simple yes or no answer - save us all!

Yup, it's true.
No one wants to do anything for anyone any more.
Everything is automated this, automated that.
Phone calls never returned.
Emails never responded too.
They force you to do all the running around so they can shrink their workforce/ overheads.
I collected some prescriptions for some clients earlier today from a local chemist.
Hadn't been in there for a while.
It has had a facelift.
I saw that they have installed touch screens where you can basically search for products, scan barcodes for prices, ask questions about health issues etc.
Although I can see the beneficial side of this, I couldn't help see it as a sign of things to come - little to no human contact & less people available to help you in stores.

Our payroll, purchasing and invoicing software supplier are also supposed to provide support.
Whenever I have a query or want to run something by them, I get given a "call log number" and told that someone will call me.
Of course no one does and I am left chasing for literally days to come.
This is truly infuriating on the occasions I have something urgent to run by them.
Or, they email me and ask me what the query is.
They can't even be bothered to call!
I will be looking to ditch these fools at some point.
How on earth can people do business like this.
And when I do get hold of them, they refer me to online help sheets.
How about actually speaking to your paying clients and assist them in the old fashioned way.
I tell you, it drives me nuts!

Woooosaaaaa.

Customer service in this country has gone down hill rapidly.
It's one of my single most hates.

In the early 80's, I took great delight (when driving from London to Scotland), in stopping just across the border into Scotland to buy anything (packet of sweets, say) just to hear please and thank you again.

I am not for one minute saying that only the Scots said please and thank you but it was/is something sorely lacking in London (area). Nowadays, it seems it's my job to try and interest them into giving me something in return for my money and it appears they are doing me a favour by deeming to take my money.

Last edited:
I think that service in the UK has gone downhill but it's because no one wants to pay full price anymore as we have become a throwaway society and as someone said earlier, everyone wants it cheaper!
When the cost goes down something has to give!!

I think that service in the UK has gone downhill but it's because no one wants to pay full price anymore as we have become a throwaway society and as someone said earlier, everyone wants it cheaper!
When the cost goes down something has to give!!

That's why any business is on a hiding to nothing, if they compete just on price.

Everything is automated this, automated that.
Phone calls never returned.
Emails never responded too.
They force you to do all the running around so they can shrink their workforce/ overheads.

The tail wagging the dog, springs to mind. And the worst part is the employees think this is the correct way to deal with customers!

I don't spend less living but I've become far more fussy about who gets my hard earned and it's got to the stage if I don't have to spend with a poor customer focused business, I'll very happily do without - more times than not, I actually feel far better off, saving the money is just a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom