Why isn't my bbq getting hot enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
Spring is upon us... so we got this Weber 57cm charcoal bbq, and the pizza stone for it.

We bought one bag of ZIP-branded coal, and a couple of Tesco ones.

Lit the ZIP bag, temp gauge hit the max (presumably because of the direct flame). Waited 20 minutes, temp went down to 300F. Waited some more, but the temp never got above 300F. Both bottom and top vents fully open.

So we put the pizza dough in anyway, and 20 minutes later it was only half-baked.

Opened one bag of Tesco's, poured it in, and lit it, waited 20 minutes. Temp now at 350F, so a bit better with two coal bags. But book says we need 450F to make a pizza. Tried another one. Book is right..... 30 minutes and the pizza is OKeesh but nowhere near crusty.

Tried fanning the charcoal, got some bright nice fire, but temp still won't go above 350F. Gave up on the pizza and grilled some vegetable instead (we had no meat, as we were planning on preparing pizzas).

Checked the FAQ on Weber's website for "Why isn't my bbq getting hot enough?". They blame the coal. They say it's either poor quality, or had moisture in it, or was reused... but it was two different brands of fresh coal bought at Tesco.

So what went wrong? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Spring is upon us... so we got this Weber 57cm charcoal bbq, and the pizza stone for it.

We bought one bag of ZIP-branded coal, and a couple of Tesco ones.

Lit the ZIP bag, temp gauge hit the max (presumably because of the direct flame). Waited 20 minutes, temp went down to 300F. Waited some more, but the temp never got above 300F. Both bottom and top vents fully open.

So we put the pizza dough in anyway, and 20 minutes later it was only half-baked.

Opened one bag of Tesco's, poured it in, and lit it, waited 20 minutes. Temp now at 350F, so a bit better with two coal bags. But book says we need 450F to make a pizza. Tried another one. Book is right..... 30 minutes and the pizza is OKeesh but nowhere near crusty.

Tried fanning the charcoal, got some bright nice fire, but temp still won't go above 350F. Gave up on the pizza and grilled some vegetable instead (we had no meat, as we were planning on preparing pizzas).

Checked the FAQ on Weber's website for "Why isn't my bbq getting hot enough?". They blame the coal. They say it's either poor quality, or had moisture in it, or was reused... but it was two different brands of fresh coal bought at Tesco.

So what went wrong? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Turn the gas on...? 😉

try the proper coal,you can use it twice (if it doesnt burn away)

The charcoal may need agitating / poking to get a high enough temperature, also you need to have enough charcoal and ensure that it is thoroughly lit throughout.

I have a well used Weber.

I advise for max temp, you need to leave the lid off. Lid on and it will always cool.

This is fine for what technically is barbequeing (which means lid on) but won't cut it for high temp things like pizza.

Don't put the lid on when there are flames.

Ideally buy a bbq chimney starter and don't use instant light bags. If you don't take the coals, the fuel soaked bag underneath won't burn and ruins food flavour (plus probably even more carcinogenic than a normal bbq).

As pizza is a quick 2-10 mins depending on pizza, get the temp up with lid off, put the pizza on and bang on the lid. Consider having the top vent closed.

As above - I also have the 57cm kettle and the lid is good for controlling temperature downwards

Use good quality briquettes and wood chips if you want

I know BBQ's are the in thing, but with all the smoke, the mess and iffy cooking, plus the cleanup. Is it not better to cook indoors, and take it out. If you want it cremated, turn the oven up, or cook it indoors put it on a mesh outside and buy a blowlamp.

I can maintain 210-220c with the lid on my 57cm Weber, but 230c is pushing it. Key is the charcoal, and enough of it. I use the Weber briquettes which I’ve found to be very consistent.

For pizza you really want a pizza oven (burning wood pellets) at 400C minimum:

Capture.JPG

Ready to cook in 15-20 mins, and then takes about 60 secs to do a pizza.

Reactions: LTD
Turn the gas on...? 😉

+1
:dk:
I converted to gas 15 years ago and never looked back.

Legs of lamb, spit roasts, all cuts of meats and fish. Pizzas are a doddle. It's simply a superior grilling machine, plus an outside oven when you want. Sustained temperature, with a hood, of course!

No charcoal "anxiety" ... just have a spare gas bottle, just in case ..... but you can tell by hand-weighing it.

2 days ago, chicken kebabs; yesterday bbq spare ribs; today trout, baby potatoes and grilled tomatoes (pots done on side burner).

Tomorrow ... awaiting Mrs Swotty's instructions! :dk:

We (generally) spend a large amount of money and time choosing and installing a kitchen.

We choose appliances that can be easily controlled to produce food to a high and consistent standard.

Then, as soon as a modicum of warm weather arrives many see the need to stand in front of a very hot piece of equipment in an attempt to try to produce food to a lower standard on a difficult to control external cooking source.

Because "It tastes better" 😫

My meal will be ready sooner and taste better 😁😁😎
I very much doubt that. 😁🥳🎶🎼🎵🎹🎤💪🍄

We (generally) spend a large amount of money and time choosing and installing a kitchen.

We choose appliances that can be easily controlled to produce food to a high and consistent standard.

Then, as soon as a modicum of warm weather arrives many see the need to stand in front of a very hot piece of equipment in an attempt to try to produce food to a lower standard on a difficult to control external cooking source.

Because "It tastes better" 😫
Actually, I find meat cooked on my Weber gas bbq is nicer than meat cooked in the oven! We use the Weber all year round.

+1
:dk:
I converted to gas 15 years ago and never looked back.
I also "jumped ship" years ago, now on my third gas BBQ - an Outback (not that I would recommend it - very uneven cooking) but bought a small charcoal BBQ last year for when we rented a caravan in Filey for a holiday last July.

Somehow, the whole palaver of lighting, poking and general faffing about does make it more of an event.

Back to Filey very shortly - but I wonder if it will be BBQ weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom