Why isn't my bbq getting hot enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A
Duuuuh....because they are not cooking BBQ (bit tricky doing a "sous vide", baked pudding or a souffle in a BBQ). When they do want those sort of flavours and textures, they all use a BBQ of some sort.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Many modern kitchens have flame grillers as part of the equipment.

It is all about using the appropriate tool correctly .:)

I sad rarely, not never! 😂

I still maintain that for me the total balls ache of preparing a charcoal BBQ, waiting for it to get hot, the lack of control over temperature etc plus standing in front of, by then, extremely hot embers usually on a hot day isn't my idea of fun or good cuisine.

Don't misunderstand me, I like the BBQ taste, I just cannot be bothered with the whole procedure but good luck to those that do 👍👍👍👍👍😎

I like those Ooni's but at a starting price of £250, you have to eat a hell of a lot of pizza to amortise the cost of one.

Certainly not worth it for the odd one, but we tend to cook six pizzas per session so if you guess at £10 each from a restaurant (woodfired/stonebaked) we'd be there pretty quickly. We actually paid £200 for ours, which helps too! TBH though it's more about convenience/fun ... like most garden cooking I guess.

Spring is upon us... so we got this Weber 57cm charcoal bbq, and the pizza stone for it.

We bought one bag of ZIP-branded coal, and a couple of Tesco ones.

Lit the ZIP bag, temp gauge hit the max (presumably because of the direct flame). Waited 20 minutes, temp went down to 300F. Waited some more, but the temp never got above 300F. Both bottom and top vents fully open.

So we put the pizza dough in anyway, and 20 minutes later it was only half-baked.

Opened one bag of Tesco's, poured it in, and lit it, waited 20 minutes. Temp now at 350F, so a bit better with two coal bags. But book says we need 450F to make a pizza. Tried another one. Book is right..... 30 minutes and the pizza is OKeesh but nowhere near crusty.

Tried fanning the charcoal, got some bright nice fire, but temp still won't go above 350F. Gave up on the pizza and grilled some vegetable instead (we had no meat, as we were planning on preparing pizzas).

Checked the FAQ on Weber's website for "Why isn't my bbq getting hot enough?". They blame the coal. They say it's either poor quality, or had moisture in it, or was reused... but it was two different brands of fresh coal bought at Tesco.

So what went wrong? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

I started a thread on this very topic on Pistonheads. I tried every technique know to man but just couldn't get the sodding thing to (a) get hot or (b) stay hot. I got shot down by loads of smart ****s but I just couldn't get it function properly.

So I sold it on eBay and bought a gas Weber instead.

A billion times better.

Here's my thread. In the end I could just about get in going with huge amounts of extremely expensive charcoal but, for me, the ball ache vastly outweighed the "benefits". Never again.

Last edited:
I changed over to a gas bbq a few years ago. Granted the flavour isn't the same, but you just press the ignition and off you go. I've also got a smoker box that sits on the flame bars and gets filled with well soaked wood chips. It's a good enough compromise for me.

I changed over to a gas bbq a few years ago. Granted the flavour isn't the same, but you just press the ignition and off you go. I've also got a smoker box that sits on the flame bars and gets filled with well soaked wood chips. It's a good enough compromise for me.
Same here - the difference between gas and charcoal for us is that we use the gas one all the time, so for that the compromise is worth it. And a good steak still comes out way better than on the hob or under the grill. The smoker boxes are really good. I've also started doing naan breads on the bbq - they're great.

Same here - the difference between gas and charcoal for us is that we use the gas one all the time, so for that the compromise is worth it. And a good steak still comes out way better than on the hob or under the grill. The smoker boxes are really good. I've also started doing naan breads on the bbq - they're great.
Steak should never be cooked on a BBQ unless it is a very well marbled Ribeye.

Really not the case at all.
I normally do sirloin or rump, but cut thick, like 3”. You can then get a really good char, almost black but with the middle still pink. Sometimes I’ll marinade it in soy and Worcestershire, (or Henderson’s depending on your preference!). We have a fab butchers near us and their beef is superb. I did try a Wagyu steak but just too fatty for me, wasn’t keen.

I don't know. The meat just seems more tender and tasty. I guess part of it is due the searing of the meat on the grill.
They are good. I'm on my 2nd 3 burner Spirit Elite (sold the first one in the ME) 12 years old and has been standing outside in the elements for the past 6 years. my son got one of these last summer with all the extras....I'm very envious.

They are good. I'm on my 2nd 3 burner Spirit Elite (sold the first one in the ME) 12 years old and has been standing outside in the elements for the past 6 years. my son got one of these last summer with all the extras....I'm very envious.

Wow, that's a serious bbq. :cool:

:rolleyes: Yep.......serious money and it stands in the elements (admittedly with a cover).
Ours is the Genesis II four burner model and also stays outside all year, again with a cover for protection.

Ours is the Genesis II four burner model and also stays outside all year, again with a cover for protection.
Mine is now 12 years old (3 burner and side plate) never been anywhere but outdoors under a cover. I pressure wash it at the beginning of summer and it fires up perfectly (although we do use it all year round).

Mine is now 12 years old (3 burner and side plate) never been anywhere but outdoors under a cover. I pressure wash it at the beginning of summer and it fires up perfectly (although we do use it all year round).
I gave mine a thorough clean at the start of the year, but normally just do the burn and brush routine after cooking.

I was saying to a friend, recently, how, whilst building it, it was one of the few times that I appreciated the quality of something. Our previous bbq, a seven burner from another brand, felt cheap in comparison despite costing, I think, circa £700-800 about 15 years ago!

I gave mine a thorough clean at the start of the year, but normally just do the burn and brush routine after cooking.

I was saying to a friend, recently, how, whilst building it, it was one of the few times that I appreciated the quality of something. Our previous bbq, a seven burner from another brand, felt cheap in comparison despite costing, I think, circa £700-800 about 15 years ago!

I bought a Westminster model from B&Q at the end of the 2006 season. 3 burners plus side one. Brought it over here the following year and it sits outside all year round on a covered terrace.

It's a bit dog-eared after 15 years but still going strong. Part of me fancies a new shiny stainless steel one, but I can still hear my Yorkie mum whispering "it's got years left ... don't waste money".

The list price was £300 but it was the end of the season and presumably they were clearing stock, so I got it for £99.99 delivered.

Still had to put it together, though - bah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom