Why isn't my bbq getting hot enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We were given our gas barbie by the (German) in-laws when they upgraded ... one slight problem is that they use a different pressure over there, so it took a bit of work to find a suitable one that would fit UK Calor bottles.

I gave mine a thorough clean at the start of the year, but normally just do the burn and brush routine after cooking.

I was saying to a friend, recently, how, whilst building it, it was one of the few times that I appreciated the quality of something. Our previous bbq, a seven burner from another brand, felt cheap in comparison despite costing, I think, circa £700-800 about 15 years ago!
Yep being buying Webers since the 80s they are good. We started with a Kettle in the 80s which lasted about 30 years - I refurbed it and gave it to my son when we purchased a gas unit in 2000.

I also "jumped ship" years ago, now on my third gas BBQ - an Outback (not that I would recommend it - very uneven cooking) but bought a small charcoal BBQ last year for when we rented a caravan in Filey for a holiday last July.

Somehow, the whole palaver of lighting, poking and general faffing about does make it more of an event.

Back to Filey very shortly - but I wonder if it will be BBQ weather.
Not sure when you’re heading back to metropolis that is the township of Filey, but it’s bloody freezing at present!

Back on topic, two friends have brick built pizza ovens in their gardens and they do fantastic pizza, but they do an ‘arf use some fuel.
We only have the pizza stone and it works best on our gas bbq because it needs to be +350 degrees and easy gets to that on full burn. Charcoal one needs tons of fuel and a permanent fire stoker person to get it really hot.
We like the gas one for the convenience, but like the charcoal one for authentic flavour etc…and because we’re cavemen (cavepeople?🙃)and like making fire 🔥😁

Not sure when you’re heading back to metropolis that is the township of Filey, but it’s bloody freezing at present!

We've hired a caravan for a week at Haven Blue Dolphin. Fortunately it has double glazing and central heating...

Back on topic, two friends have brick built pizza ovens in their gardens and they do fantastic pizza, but they do an ‘arf use some fuel.
We only have the pizza stone and it works best on our gas bbq because it needs to be +350 degrees and easy gets to that on full burn. Charcoal one needs tons of fuel and a permanent fire stoker person to get it really hot.
We like the gas one for the convenience, but like the charcoal one for authentic flavour etc…and because we’re cavemen (cavepeople?🙃)and like making fire 🔥😁
I'd say authentic flavour would be from a wood burning oven. I expect that suitable hard wood is difficult to obtain these days.

I'd say authentic flavour would be from a wood burning oven. I expect that suitable hard wood is difficult to obtain these days.
Yes that’s it, more of a wood burning oven really. I can’t say I’ve ever asked if it’s hardwood or soft that they put on that fuels them. I will now though, thanks 🙂

..I advise for max temp, you need to leave the lid off. Lid on and it will always cool....

...is the right answer!

20210605-135833.jpg

Thats what I got when putting the lid on only after properly heating-up the charcoal :thumb:

BBQ , stinking anti social things , well my neighbours one is, it smells even worse than when he’s burning rubbish in an old metal dustbin .
Mind you he is a T****r 🧯

Last edited:
...is the right answer!

20210605-135833.jpg

Thats what I got when putting the lid on only after properly heating-up the charcoal :thumb:

So why is it the right answer - because a BBQ needs a flow of air to work properly. I've rarely had a successful BBQ in totally still conditions, without a breeze naturally aspirated BBQ's just don't get going or if they do, take forever. I'm surprised no manufacturer has tried to emulate a blacksmiths forge by included a fan to force air through the coals. What we need is a forced induction BBQ, a kompressor would go down well in these parts.

So why is it the right answer - because a BBQ needs a flow of air to work properly. I've rarely had a successful BBQ in totally still conditions, without a breeze naturally aspirated BBQ's just don't get going or if they do, take forever. I'm surprised no manufacturer has tried to emulate a blacksmiths forge by included a fan to force air through the coals. What we need is a forced induction BBQ, a kompressor would go down well in these parts.

Well, you can obviously fan the bbq using a piece of cardboard... which is what I used to do in the olden days when we were using disposable bbqs (which, for the price, actually work quite well...). It has a very dramatic effect on the smoldering charcoal...

The original issue that we had back in April with the new Weber though, was that we were trying to bake a pizza, and it seemed to me at the time that in order to simulate a pizza oven we would need to keep the lid closed for the heat to 'build-up'. But as I now know, this was obvious the wrong way to go about it.

Are you sure that your radiator wasn't leaking on to the BBQ? 😁😎

In London you have just created a self contained bed sit with kitchen!

Place the BBQ in the middle of the room and you have cental heating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom