Why ? ...It's not an heirloom. and has no value

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Not far from where I live is an A reg Kawasaki GPZ 550 (1984 - )that has been parked outside the front door of the same house , in the same position for 20 years (could be longer , I first saw it 20 years ago) This is not on some random farm property but a semi detached house on a suburban street.

The rest of the property is fairly tidy It has had the double glazing replaced and been painted a few times..but the bike has never moved, and there is no evidence of 96 cats living inside so it seems quite normal ...except for the bike rotting away on the path.

gpz.jpg

My question is do any of you see similar thing regularly and ask yourself 'why the F don't they just get rid of it ?' ? SWMBO said to me 'if it bothers you that much why don't you just knock on the door and ask ?' Pah ! That would be far too easy, I prefer the mystery....and the day after it goes I will knock on the door offering £10K for a 'vintage' GPZ 550 :p.

Next installment. Citroen BX 1982.

Some wives in their late-Seventies come to mind.

They also have a thing, parked in front of the TV, which has barely moved these last two decades, showing significant signs of deterioration, as well as a curious smell.

(For elimination of doubt, I'm not talking about the wives, I'm talking about their....old possessions)

Down the road from me is a row of shops with garages behind which are owned by the shops. Outside one of the garages was a big old MB saloon parked up for about 20 years in front of the betting shops garage. It was left to rust away and never moved. The betting shop closed a couple of months ago and the MB has gone. Why it was left there for so long is a mystery.

My guess its an item redolent with memories of a departed husband, father, son, brother which someone can't bear to part with?
Grober, this had occurred to me. My very own ancient van holds great memories of my late father helping me out doing stuff and my kids enjoying the childish thing of 'sitting high up' in the cab and me letting them and their friends play in the back of it. One day (soon) it will be going and it's too big and ugly to leave outside the house for 20 years I'm afraid. :(

See also the shrine of the ambleside xr2.

Story goes that is where son parked it before he died.

It has not moved despite the driveway being re surfaced around it.

Shrine Of The Ambleside XR2

See also the shrine of the ambleside xr2.

Story goes that is where son parked it before he died.

It has not moved despite the driveway being re surfaced around it.

Shrine Of The Ambleside XR2
I kind of get it, it would IMHO be better to restore it in his memory but I realise not everyone would have the necessary funds. We each handle our grief in different ways.

My guess its an item redolent with memories of a departed husband, father, son, brother which someone can't bear to part with?

A mate of mine has a shitty old 80's Audi Coupe rotting away outside his otherwise lovely house. It's the one that has the same bodyshell as the urQuattro. But not the blister arches, running gear or rally heritage.

I remember people at the time thinking that they were actually a Quattro. But they weren't.

Anyway, it was his first expensive car and he has fond memories and can't bear to sell it.

He's an otherwise rational and successful bloke. He's just got a blindspot about his old shed.

I used to have a neighbour who had a once-lovely R129 SL outside his house covered in algae. And another with an old Silver Shadow. Same thing. Now I've moved I've got a neighbour with a once-lovely 928 rotting away. None of them ever get washed. It's bizarre.

People can be oddly sentimental.

I pass a house just off a main road that has a Ford Capri 1985 vintage at the side of their house that has the grass growing up the sides of the car,it has been there for at least 10 years,it is just visable from the road.

This is parked me near, been there for many years, it's parked outside a detached house which is probably worth about 800,000k!

20190615_103753.jpg

Probably the most likely scenario. I can relate to this to a certain extent, as I still have motorbikes in my garage which I'll probably never ride again (medical reasons). My Honda Blackbird is my personal land 'speed record holder' at 175mph and I very much doubt if I'll ever be going that fast again. I just don't really want to part with it.

I am a bit of a hoarder though and have quite a few items which should really get moved on!

Parked just around the corner from us for at least the last 15 years there has been an old SL that goes absolutely nowhere ,at the start of the year it gets wheeled out of the garage and sits , pride of place, at the start of their driveway for six months then it gets wheeled back into the garage until the same time next year.

There is also a new C and a CLK vert but at least they get used.

Google Maps

You can just see the SL in the above pic.

K

My brother has two motorbikes that haven't moved in 20 years although they are in a garage. An old friend has a motorbike and a Lotus Elan that I don't think have moved in over 40 years. Projects for retirement.

Leaving something to rot out in the elements is sad though even if it has sentimental value. They should be passed on to someone who will use them before they are worthless. My 40 year old bike easily has another 40 years in it yet. I hope that when I can no longer ride it, I have the courage to sell it to someone who will continue to use it.

Probably the most likely scenario. I can relate to this to a certain extent, as I still have motorbikes in my garage which I'll probably never ride again (medical reasons). My Honda Blackbird is my personal land 'speed record holder' at 175mph and I very much doubt if I'll ever be going that fast again. I just don't really want to part with it.

I am a bit of a hoarder though and have quite a few items which should really get moved on!
I understand this as I am a bit of the same, but just leaving (ugly) worthless stuff to rot outside your front door..:dk:

There's an Audi near me that hasn't moved for years. It's an A4 and has been stationery since I first saw it.

Supplying dealer WH Smith, by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom