Why I've never broken down in a Classic Mercedes (in 15 years)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The problem with discussing the reliability of old Mercedes vs new, or any other make for that matter, is that no one makes a simple new car anymore that would constitute a direct comparison. New cars seem an order of magnitude more complex which means there is so much more to go wrong. If a new simple car did exist it could be easily as reliable as any of the old ones. The quality that old cars had was simplicity. It will never happen though as there is no market for a simple high quality car or at least not a financially viable market. Most buyer want an ever increasing number of toys.

While I agree re the 'toys' and the problems they can bring (even if not actually stopping the vehicle's progress) the bigger problem is the emissions associated kit. Not just EGR, swirl flaps, DPFs etc and the myriad sensors but other things that arrived with down-sizing eg dual mass flywheels. For as long as we have emission standards these components are probably unavoidable - so make them durable.

Reactions: 219
Do you own a W115/ W123/ W124/ W126? After sorting these, I no longer needed a new car. They are far more reliable than anything o n sale.

I had a high mileage W123 some 25 years ago. After some initial fettling, it was as reliable as I could hope for.
It was replaced with a new Nissan Almera GTi (better suited to new job) which ran faultlessly needing nothing but consumables and an exhaust bracket repair for 6 years and 120,000 miles before being written off (RTA).
I didn't attain the W123's mileage (230,000) with the Nissan nor crash test the W123 so cannot make direct comparisons there but both were capable in their intended roles. If I had to have either of them today though - it'd be the W123. They leave their mark!

Here's a little 'project' for enthusiasts of older MB Diesels - this one just needs a light restoration ! Joking aside - I guess if you put a battery and fuel in , it might just start up and drive out of there ! I've seen worse .

I like the bit ..."No attempt to start vehicle..." No $hit Sherlock ! :p

"collection only.." Awww , if I pay for the fuel and your time could you not drive it to my gaff ?

I wonder has anyone got a “modern” car and retro engineered it, removing the sensors, ECUs, throttle body, injectors, and just put carbs back on it.
Wonder if the mpg / emissions were any/much worse?....

Ditch the body ECUs, - wind up windows, etc etc 😃

Reactions: 219
I wonder has anyone got a “modern” car and retro engineered it, removing the sensors, ECUs, throttle body, injectors, and just put carbs back on it.
Wonder if the mpg / emissions were any/much worse?....

Ditch the body ECUs, - wind up windows, etc etc 😃

Not necessary. You just need to source the period correct factory scan tool to print fault codes and live data.

1604951648932.png

Not necessary. You just need to source the period correct factory scan tool to print fault codes and live data.

View attachment 104583
This is got to be a joke, you must think we are all daft, we can see you haven't got any paper in that OBD3 scanner !

30 years back In the early days of fuel injection and before OBD standardised things, Ford had a crude system which in the absence of a special reader, had the option of emitting slow rate voltage pulses as fault codes. You shorted out a couple of terminals to set the diagnostic going then counted the pulses to interpret the fault code. I used an old analogue multi meter (model 8 Avo) and just noted the needle swings to successfully diagnose a faulty throttle pot on my sons Fiesta. It was my first success at fixing an electronic fuel injected engine.

This is got to be a joke, you must think we are all daft, we can see you haven't got any paper in that OBD3 scanner !

It's still in the process of setting up as you need the glow plugs to warm up before pulling codes.

It's still in the process of setting up as you need the glow plugs to warm up before pulling codes.
Ha, you may have to wait a while then, it's a petrol engine.

30 years back In the early days of fuel injection and before OBD standardised things, Ford had a crude system which in the absence of a special reader, had the option of emitting slow rate voltage pulses as fault codes. You shorted out a couple of terminals to set the diagnostic going then counted the pulses to interpret the fault code. I used an old analogue multi meter (model 8 Avo) and just noted the needle swings to successfully diagnose a faulty throttle pot on my sons Fiesta. It was my first success at fixing an electronic fuel injected engine.
We used to use an old Avo when I was an apprentice, decades ago.
Have a look if you still have, it if I were you. Avo 8 for sale

But that won’t be the traditional’Land Rovers’ used to cross deserts , muddy fields , etc and described as 88 , 90 , 110 etc .

it will be the new offerings which have diluted the brand .
Many moons ago when I worked in the Sahara we had 90s and 110s. They were Land Rovers "North African" spec. This meant they were painted white and had the heaters removed. They did however, leave the black vinyl trim.
The desert gets hot (as I'm sure you know) so sometime the insides were too hot to use. It also gets cold (and wet) in the winter where a heater would have been a godsend. And doors that sealed properly would have been good to keep both the rain and the dust out. At least no carpets meant you could sweep them out. Were they reliable? Probably as reliable as anything in such conditions, but they were terrible to drive and the most uncomfortable and dangerous vehicle I have ever driven. All those sharp edges are not good in an off-roader. All the "Canadians" had Land Cruisers which was superior in all respects including the terrain it would cross. They did the job though and were much cheaper than Landcruisers. I don't miss the Land Rover!

I had a high mileage W123 some 25 years ago. After some initial fettling, it was as reliable as I could hope for.
It was replaced with a new Nissan Almera GTi (better suited to new job) which ran faultlessly needing nothing but consumables and an exhaust bracket repair for 6 years and 120,000 miles before being written off (RTA).
I didn't attain the W123's mileage (230,000) with the Nissan nor crash test the W123 so cannot make direct comparisons there but both were capable in their intended roles. If I had to have either of them today though - it'd be the W123. They leave their mark!
...really enjoying my newly acquired £225 1986 W124, rusty as they come, utterly neglected but after new engine mounts, oils and filters, about 4 square feet of metal put back in the floors and a fiddle with the throttle / auto gearbox linkage she just purrs along on my 20 year proven used veg oil petrol and derv recipe, oh and no ECU required thank you. 3 tyres cost under £150 and here it's a classic on £26 Historic road tax. Happy? I should say so! I really wouldn't want a new model even as a gift..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom