Why I've never broken down in a Classic Mercedes (in 15 years)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I can't really blame anyone for not fully understanding what so many of us have learnt, perhaps by fluke in some instances. There's something so incredible about owning something that just won't let you down, will never die, and will outlast you easily if cared for. It has been impossible to say the same about any vehicle made for the past two decades.

Yet we have 1000s of pages on multiple forums with extended discussion on how to get rid of rust and repair fix the old cars. :)

You'll find my several inputs from me on those pages. Roadside repair vs. rolling restoration. When I learnt the difference between them, I became enlightened ;)

As I mentioned - insurance companies insisted on the tracker pretty much like here where a lot of them want a tracker. fitted. Everybody carried guns including my wife and myself. I'm talking about 22 years ago so not sure what the gun rules are theses days.

Got it.

Yeah, times change not always for the better?

At least breaking down here is usually only an inconvenience.

Before I left South Africa breaking down was a life threatening event. Hi-jacking, armed robberies, and other horrible stuff was very common. I had a device fitted in my car with a hidden panic button (hi-jacking) and also a 3 button fob. "Stolen, Breakdown, Run-out of petrol". They'd send out armed crews to help you. I had no choice - car was a BMW525i and the insurance companies would not insure without it. For a hi-jacking they sent out a helicopter with armed ex soldiers and also guaranteed to get your car back in 4 hours.

When I emigrated in 1996 my friends and family could not understand why I was leaving .....:rolleyes:
I think it was Louis Theroux who did a documentary about Johannesburg some years ago and the apparent lawlessness was quite shocking. Has there been any improvement in the situation in South Africa in recent times?

I think it was Louis Theroux who did a documentary about Johannesburg some years ago and the apparent lawlessness was quite shocking. Has there been any improvement in the situation in South Africa in recent times?

We're hi-jacking this thread a bit. We still have many friends living there and it still is as bad as it was in that show. Government incompetence & corruption is rife, crime is uncontrolled and they have 25% unemployment. ANC have been in power about 25 years now and no sign of being voted out.

Couldn't agree more. My 65 hp 1976 W115 240D is way more fun to drive than the last 3 series and A class I rented recently. I can't get enough of it now that its been sorted! I would never have imagined saying that a year ago!

I can't really blame anyone for not fully understanding what so many of us have learnt, perhaps by fluke in some instances. There's something so incredible about owning something that just won't let you down, will never die, and will outlast you easily if cared for. It has been impossible to say the same about any vehicle made for the past two decades.
Another potential benefit to an old diesel mercedes is in the event of a massive solar flare or god forbid a nuclear event. All transport running on electronic systems would be damaged.

Not the indirect injection mechanical pumped diesel engine. That will run once started without a battery and also on bio fuels. In reality mad max would have been in a mercedes diesel not a petrol v8.

Last edited:
Reactions: 219
If this thread had a soundtrack, it'd be the old Hovis advert 🤣

You'll find my several inputs from me on those pages. Roadside repair vs. rolling restoration. When I learnt the difference between them, I became enlightened ;)

Each to their own, I'm sure your 'rolling restoration' keeps you happy. I prefer something a little more modern. Enjoy. :)

These SA security companies found a market where they can make a lot of money when people being worried and afraid getting robbed or killed.
Is it legal for people in SA to wear a concealed weapon if they have a permit as it is legal in some states in the US.

Oscar Pistorius shot and killed his GF.
Perhaps in most homes in SA people have guns for protection?
Concealed carry is legal in SA but concealing your 9 mm short in your waistband is futile when the bad guy has a very unconcealed AK47.

Concealed carry is legal in SA but concealing your 9 mm short in your waistband is futile when the bad guy has a very unconcealed AK47.

Has to be highly trained in weaponry to rapidly fire off a 9mm before the purp has the chance to pull the trigger with an AK47.
It's unlikely to happen because purp sneaking up on you when you're off guard, he puts the barrel in your face there's nothing you can do.
Most of them are trigger happy, these are the dangerous ones.

Has to be highly trained in weaponry to rapidly fire off a 9mm before the purp has the chance to pull the trigger with an AK47.
It's unlikely to happen because purp sneaking up on you when you're off guard, he puts the barrel in your face there's nothing you can do.
Most of them are trigger happy, these are the dangerous ones.
The MO for hijacking a high end car to order was to not damage the car, the driver would be asked to get out and then shot dead so as not to risk bullet holes and human 'matter' left in the vehicle. Which would de value it.

But like Rory says, we are hijacking this thread a bit...pun intended.

If you have vehicles renowned for off road capability that are incapable of going off road then of course the brand is diluted

You would make up any old crap to suit your argument.

Yet we have 1000s of pages on multiple forums with extended discussion on how to get rid of rust and repair fix the old cars. :)
Something like 90% of the discussion is about fixing problems with newer cars , from the CDI era onwards .

You would make up any old crap to suit your argument.
I’m not making anything up : there are lots of such vehicles with completely inappropriate wheels , not to mention blacked out windows and the like , put on for purely cosmetic appearances, but which then ruin the capabilities of the vehicle - hence they get stuck or crash in an inch of snow .

That IS diluting what was once the worlds most famous brand of off road vehicles.

Now who’s sprouting cr@p to prop up a losing argument. Haha .

I’m not making anything up : there are lots of such vehicles with completely inappropriate wheels , not to mention blacked out windows and the like , put on for purely cosmetic appearances, but which then ruin the capabilities of the vehicle - hence they get stuck or crash in an inch of snow .

That IS diluting what was once the worlds most famous brand of off road vehicles.

Now who’s sprouting cr@p to prop up a losing argument. Haha .
Wheels and tints eh?

Oh I see what you mean now. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 219
JD Power (and many millions of, predominantly American, Lexus owners) may disagree with that
Well , you don’t see older Japanese vehicles of any brand running around in the same way that you do comparable European cars .

Plenty of W126s running around, when did you last see one of the Lexi that were blatant copies ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom