Why no 350 CGI 212?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

I'm wanting to switch up to a W212 E-Class from my W204 C-Class in the summer.

I've gotten so used to 3L Petrol V6 that I can't even consider going down to 4 cylinders in the E, and so I want the 350.

I've always been keen on the newer 3.5L V6 CGI petrol engines. Similar to mine, but 306bhp, far better on fuel and cheaper tax.

Why doesn't this engine exist in the E?
It seems I can only have a 350 E Class in diesel guise.

No one buys petrol V6's in the UK apparently, therefore MB don't offer V6 Petrols in most of their range.

MB then use this to provide factual statements that no one wants a V6 petrol based on the fact they have zero sales of them (despite not even offering them).

It's a chicken and egg situation.

That said though, even if they did offer a v6 petrol, the take up would probably be so small due to historic legislation (rightly or wrongly) favouring diesel vehicles. I have a feeling this will change, but not for a while as it's difficult for any government to admit they got something fundamentally wrong.

So if you want a Petrol 212 it's a 4 pot or V8. There maybe a handful of early 350 petrols but they would be very rare indeed.

God this is getting ridiculous.

First the (non-AMG) V8's disappeared and now the V6's.

I'm hoping to buy a (s/h) CGI soon but have no idea what I'll replace it with in a few years.

Diesel's out for me, that's for sure, living in Zone 2 London.

God this is getting ridiculous.

First the (non-AMG) V8's disappeared and now the V6's.

I'm hoping to buy a (s/h) CGI soon but have no idea what I'll replace it with in a few years.

Diesel's out for me, that's for sure, living in Zone 2 London.
...for example I gather there are fewer than 50 CGI 350 C Class examples w204 type in the UK.....I have never owned a D car..just one of those things I never contemplated pref earlier Golfs and Mercs.. I will never buy a D car ever.. the cost diff in Derv over petrol is increasing.. what a con UK car buyers suffered.. foxy52

Last edited:
what a con UK car buyers suffered.. foxy52

To an extent the UK buyers inflicted this on themselves. The popularity of diesels in some market sectors meant used values of diesels were higher so higher residuals makes new diesels appear cheaper. So the circle is complete and petrol cars become more expensive to own for new car buyers - so fewer sales and even less popular.

The shift also means that the market has forgotten how refined a petrol 6 cyl engine can be compared with a diesel 4 or 6. They've recalibrated themselves to a decent diesel 4 cyl as being the norm.

I will never buy a D car ever.. the cost diff in Derv over petrol is increasing.

The differential needs to reach about 10% in favour of petrol to make diesel more expensive in real terms.

Over the last few years diesel has tended IME to be closer in price. ISTR about 10 years ago the differential was larger.

Mine is the M272 E30 engine.

The M272 E35 engine is the one I think this E Class linked to above has, not the newer M276 engines that are 306bhp, cheaper tax bracket and much better fuel figures.

A guy here has one in a 204, I can't remember his name.. It's the M276 engine rather than the M272 I believe.

I'm after a 12 plate W212 E350 CGI with white interior that's not black, white, or silver. :wallbash: :crazy: Wish me luck...

Last edited:
Perhaps not as rare as you thought.. there would appear to be a few hundred biffing about.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=mercedes+e350+cgi&commit=Search

Not exactly thick on the ground though, so there's only going to be a few for sale at any given time, and of course there's the question of finding one you actually want to buy..

Cheers,

Gaz

There were also some 212 E500's, which in reality are probably similar in running costs to the 350cgi.

Again though these sold in such low volumes that MB decided to not bother with them for the UK market.

It's not just an MB thing. Audi dropped all petrol engines in the A6 range. If you want a petrol A6 your only options are currently the S6 or RS6.

BMW offer some petrol alternatives in the 5 series though.

MB have simply decided it's not a market segment worth bothering with. Sales volume at the time the models were available would back this up.

Much of this is probably due to the cost of re engineering the cars to RHD form combined with the UK's buying habits and tax leaning towards diesels. So from that perspective it makes sense.

Last edited:
From memory didn't they go from the E350 N/A to the E400 bi turbo around 2013/14?

From memory didn't they go from the E350 N/A to the E400 bi turbo around 2013/14?

I don't think the OP wants a coupe Lee.

Saloons and Estates didn't get the V6 petrol options. Only coupes got the E350/E400 motors throughout production in the UK.

Bar some early E350cgi models that is.

Saloons and Estates didn't get the V6 petrol options. Only coupes got the E350/E400 motors throughout production in the UK.

Bar some early E350cgi models that is.

I sought of lost the knowledge of V6 petrol Mercedes around the time they were to release the E400 in the W213 but then changed tack to purposely annoy AMG owners by calling it the E43 instead.

Quite ridiculous really when you think of it though; the E-Class is the natural car size for a 6 cylinder petrol but, like you say, they've reduced that market to such an extent that they only want to sell you either a fire breathing V8 or a four pot diesel.

Saloons and Estates didn't get the V6 petrol options.

You're right, I'm after a saloon. Although I'd love a red one and they only come in red in the coupés. There are no red saloons that I can find.

Isn't the C212 based on the 204 chassis?

Yes that's exactly what I'm looking for except that's LHD and 1700 miles round trip. :rolleyes:

Thanks though.

You didn't specify RHD ;). How about this one? Bit older but the wheel's on the correct side and it's in the same country..

Mercedes E Class 350 7G Tronic | eBay

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom