Why S/CL 500 m113 does not have more horsepower?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xcamronx

Car
w215
Hi,so its question for fun.
So I was scrolling through facebook and BMW 850 poped out,year 1992, 220kw,and mercedes benz come out 10 years later with m113 500 with 225kw? I mean 10 years of engineering +5kw? Plus I believe old w140 coupe CL500 has 235kw. And what im asking is the thing is,m113 known as un-killable engine,it should seriously handle at least lets say stock 240? If comparing to todays paper OM engines they could have made it even 250kw or MORE lol,I mean I just maxed at +10% HP,not 30/50/whatever,I mean it sound pretty reasonable stock and it would still be 10x more durable than todays engines. Im not a engine or cars guy,but when I see 10 years old BMW 5 liter with 5kw less than MB,well BMW your competing,shouldn't you engineer something more than 225kw? Or we should just praise the engine because it costs like a cheap dinner with a family rather than having more HP and be more prone? I mean it feels like this engine is under powered,no?
Considering everyone chip these paper diesels today +25kw and put strain on them or some go even crazy as ive seen up to +40kw. And they left that big ass powerful engine with 225kw? That freaking engine could probably handle 300kw with a turbo or something and do 500k+ miles no problem. I mean I have no excuse for that engine not to have 250kw,shame MB. Or I dont understand something about engines?

The M113 V8 is related to the M112 V6 and shares its 3 VALVE TWIN SPARK PLUG cylinder head design
explanation here [candles means plugs] designed to reach operating temperature quicker for CO2 emissions [ Was possibly poor on NOx however?]

Last edited:
It was a lean burn engine that was designed to meet emissions. BMW 850i was a V12 so i would have expected it to make more power. Jaguar V12 H.E engine from 1981 made 299hp and the Mercedes Benz M119 V8 made 326hp.

On the plus side, you won't notice the difference. The M113 5.0 has no problems keep up with the 20MPH speed limit around London.

Maybe MB think it's not all about BHP and 0-60 top trumps.

If things like that are important to a driver, Golf VRs and Focus STs are this way-->>>

Or just get something with a m113k
Yeah but it just different head but same engine still,like kleeman. Engine is powerful,for example newer w221/w216 engines are 285kw and are v8 and have no turbo/kompressors,so why such drastic change while its still same basic engine? I guess its 99% set to 225kw just to stick to co2 at sensible levels? If newer engine has 285kw with nothing maybe old one could have had for example 250. Just for speculation. Its sad you cant soft mod this engine like with turbo diesels. :)

Turbo diesels??? Wash your mouth.
Anyway, the M113k was the last of the absolute bastard engines and should be awarded World Heritage status.
475ps and 700nm ex-factory. Mine now runs 520ps and 770nm. Someone tell me that's not enough.
Oh, hello Dave. Didn't see you there.

Imo it was because America was / is Mercedes biggest market & because they love their V8s the M113 was going to be their bread & butter engine there. The average power of an American V8 of comparable size at the time (late 90s / early 2000s) was circa 200 to 250 bhp, so the power from the M113 would've been considered more than adequate.

Imo it was because America was / is Mercedes biggest market & because they love their V8s the M113 was going to be their bread & butter engine there. The average power of an American V8 of comparable size at the time (late 90s / early 2000s) was circa 200 to 250 bhp, so the power from the M113 would've been considered more than adequate.

That's an opinion :) Most V8's available in the US of that size made similar if not more power whether from ether German like the Audi A8, Japanese or US engines. It was all down to tightening emissions. Otherwise MB would have kept the M119 which made more power and was already available in the US for the past decade.

That's an opinion :) Most V8's available in the US of that size made similar if not more power whether from ether German like the Audi A8, Japanese or US engines. It was all down to tightening emissions. Otherwise MB would have kept the M119 which made more power and was already available in the US for the past decade.
That's that theory out the window then 😉

I t h i n k I read somewhere that MB managed to stay just below the limit for the
Gas Guzzler tax imposed on vehicles that did not pass the 55 MPH specific Miles/Gallon
requirement at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom