Why so many e55's???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RickyBurrows

Banned
Car
Mercedes e320 cdi sport
I'm curious to know why there's so many e55 owners over the e63 is it price difference? Or do you prefer the look of the e55 over the e63, is it the engine? I always thought the 6.2 was a better unit help me understand my good people.

Finally, a thread we might not fall out on. :thumb:

The price difference is down to the age difference.

They made the 211 E55 from 2003 to 2006.

They made the 211 E63 from 2007 to 2009.

The 211 was then replaced with the 212 in 2009 in 63 form only.

Last edited:
Finally, a thread we might not fall out on. :thumb:

The price difference is down to the age difference.

They made the 211 E55 from 2003 to 2006.

They made the 211 E63 from 2007 to 2009.

The 211 was then replaced with the 212 in 2009 in 63 form only.

I think that's optimistic
[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every e55 owner i personally know ( quite a few are members here ) regret their lack of education and as a result jobs that pay below the national average wage.

The 6.3 IS a far superior engine.

Every e55 owner i personally know ( quite a few are members here ) regret their lack of education and as a result jobs that pay below the national average wage.

The 1st bit is very accurate "applies to me" lol, But im not so sure on the 6.2 bit ;) lol

Now the "Bi turbo" is a Completely different ball game:devil:

I'm curious to know why there's so many e55 owners over the e63 is it price difference? Or do you prefer the look of the e55 over the e63, is it the engine? I always thought the 6.2 was a better unit help me understand my good people.

It's simple this one. E55 Kompressor absolutely kills E63 N/A in everything speed related.

I had a W211 E55 many years ago now. I now have a W212 E63.

The E55 was possibly the best car I've ever owned though, at the time, I didn't appreciate it. It was the pinnacle of the E Class range, with relentless performance and a lovely interior, basically power in a comfortable setting. I would have kept it but it was getting a little bit high on miles and I needed a reliable car at the time as I used to have to travel a lot for work. This was over 10 years ago.

Fast forward to today, ignoring the stuff I had in the interim (or wilderness) years, and I wouldn't hesitate to jump back into E55 ownership. I love that M113k engine to bits. Don't get me wrong, the E63 is an awesome car and the M157 engine is superb at what it does, especially when tweaked a little, but the W211 E55 set the benchmark in how a luxury saloon should behave on the road.

Personally I think the M156 engine is wasted in the E Class as it's just not what the car's about, and this was the main factor which swayed me onto other marques at the time. I'll agree that it's a good engine in the C Class, which is a lot lighter and sportier, though that's not what the E (or the S) are about, and why I jumped ship at the time.

TL;DR: An E Class is supposed to be an executive saloon (old man car) and does not benefit from a 6.2 litre N/A engine stuffed in the front which needs constant revs to keep it in the power band.

All the above IMHO of course. :D

The 1st bit is very accurate "applies to me" lol, But im not so sure on the 6.2 bit ;) lol

Now the "Bi turbo" is a Completely different ball game:devil:

I know you mean standard cars so I will let this pass ;)

It's simple this one. E55 Kompressor absolutely kills E63 N/A in everything speed related.

I've drove both and both are completely different but e55 wouldn't kill the e63 I thought the e55 felt quicker done some timed launches to 100 and even though the e55 felt quicker it was slightly slower which I could only put down to the extra torque but that only helps for first few hundred yards the power comes into it and e55 obviously loses there I can't remember exact times I'll have to try find it but I remember the e63 being quicker by about a second ish to 100 so in reality no real difference.

Is there such thing as the 6.3 engine? You need to be educated my good man. Unless of course you mean that Brabus twin-turbocharged 6.3L V12? To which I wholeheartedly agree ;)

Lol.

I've drove both and both are completely different but e55 wouldn't kill the e63 I thought the e55 felt quicker done some timed launches to 100 and even though the e55 felt quicker it was slightly slower which I could only put down to the extra torque but that only helps for first few hundred yards the power comes into it and e55 obviously loses there I can't remember exact times I'll have to try find it but I remember the e63 being quicker by about a second ish to 100 so in reality no real difference.

If you compare standard cars this may be true but for any enthusiast out there E55 is a better platform as some bolt ons (like pulleys, headers, cooling and map) add significant gains. Acid's old E55 wagon was pushing 700bhp at some point and is the fastest 1/4 mile E class in the UK. E63 N/A would need a lot more done to get to the same level of performance. This was my point.

If you compare standard cars this may be true but for any enthusiast out there E55 is a better platform as some bolt ons (like pulleys, headers, cooling and map) add significant gains. Acid's old E55 wagon was pushing 700bhp at some point and is the fastest 1/4 mile E class in the UK. E63 N/A would need a lot more done to get to the same level of performance. This was my point.

Just seen the video - man that shifts!

Not being picky or anything but, if you had said ""the 63 is a far superior engine you may have been correct. But you said 6.3 and therefore, unless this was a typo, you displayed your ignorance since the engine in the 63 is a 6.2.

Just sayin'.

Wow everyone is so quick to point out the faults in people on this forum never known anything like it, I'm sure you have all made mistakes instead of having a little tit about it correct him in decent manor and to be fair unless you actually new about the engine the fact it has a 6.3 badge can throw you off so calm down people were supposed to help each other out.

renault12ts said:
Not being picky or anything but, if you had said ""the 63 is a far superior engine you may have been correct. But you said 6.3 and therefore, unless this was a typo, you displayed your ignorance since the engine in the 63 is a 6.2. Just sayin'.

6.208 - let's be clear here lol

lol, this thread made me laugh

to answer the original question, the reason there are more E55`s out there is the production years, its been around far longer than the E63.

I had a choice of both when I bought mine, I chose the 55K platform as it was a better engine in terms of reliability and power gains achievable.

The E63 has updated looks which I liked better , but these I managed to put on my E55.

All the AMG engines are pretty tough, 6.2 na or 55K , choice is yours.

I personally would but the 55k over the 6.2 anyday, feels more pokey and fun and head to head my 55k hasn't had any issues pulling away from 63`s.

lol, this thread made me laugh

to answer the original question, the reason there are more E55`s out there is the production years, its been around far longer than the E63.

I had a choice of both when I bought mine, I chose the 55K platform as it was a better engine in terms of reliability and power gains achievable.

The E63 has updated looks which I liked better , but these I managed to put on my E55.

All the AMG engines are pretty tough, 6.2 na or 55K , choice is yours.

I personally would but the 55k over the 6.2 anyday, feels more pokey and fun and head to head my 55k hasn't had any issues pulling away from 63`s.

Yeah that's what I thought I new the 55 was a better platform for tuning but I prefer the look and interior of the 63 then played it safe went on holiday and brought a diesel haha but yeah I guess it's alot easier taking bodywork from a 63 than putting a 55 engine in one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom