Why so many W202s around

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluevenetian

Car
Midnight blue W124 estate
Every day I see at least one W202 and quite often up to 3 or 4 of these models during my 20 minute cycle in central London. In contrast I rarely see the similar age E or S classes. I'm guessing more of these "c" classes were made, but they really do seem to have very high survival rates. So what's the secret?

I had one and loved it. Only sold it because I wanted a 124 Estate for more space.

What’s the secret? - My Guess.
They are after all a Mercedes. Therefore look smart and are timeless in design.
The engines are very good. They are extremely comfortable.
As I have said before.
If you need to be seen getting there buy a BMW.
If you have arrived then naturally you purchase a Mercedes.

so where proportionally many more sold than contemporary E classes...I just don't see many of those around. I have to say I find it impressive that so many L, M, N and P reg "c" classes are active.

E classes are more prone to rust IMHO

not 124s but my 202 had 100% more rust than my w210.. that was a 98 202 my 97 preupdate 202 on the other hand no rust... to the OP w202s are tanks, cheap to run very cheap to maintain, are comfy and cost less than 2k for a clean one...

The 202s are a very good design but there were probably more sold in the UK as they were that bit cheaper than a 124 from new and also the 210 from new.
They have less electrics to go wrong than a 210 and are a well designed robust car

W202's are reliable, cheap to run and don't have a load of gimics fitted that cost a packet when they go wrong :rock:

W202's are reliable, cheap to run and don't have a load of gimics fitted that cost a packet when they go wrong :rock:

co sign... also at just under 110k my 210 has been 100% problem free apart from CPS.. and now 100% rust free.. :thumb::thumb:
edit: oh and brake light switch - which cot 7.99 and i fixed it myself lol

Last edited:
Does anyone have access to how many W202 are still on the roads and how their survival percentage compares with their contemporary W124s??? Sorry to go on about this, but I'm becoming mildly obbessive. I count all the W202 I see and every day its at least two, sometimes up to four on a short 30 minute cycle to work through London.

So come on someone...put up the data and I'll be able to move on with my life. :eek:

They have less electrics to go wrong than a 210 and are a well designed robust car

Do they really? maybe early pre-pre facelift ones, but 97+ can have all the kit W210s do.

In market target terms the W202 was the replacement for the 190 [ W201] The successor to the W124 was the E class W210 Although the issue is slightly clouded by the fact that the W202 was increased in size in the process it lost a bit of the sports saloon nature of the 190. So comparing a W202 with a W124 is a bit of a stretch. The W202 was perhaps Mercedes first serious attempt at the lucrative and high volume small executive market which perhaps explains the higher numbers on the road??

I know that there are alot of W202s on the road because of the large fleet market, quite a few sales reps had them during the late mid to late nineties as they were so affordable.

I have had my 202 since new and it is now nearly 12 years old.

Still drives like new!

Very reliable motor is the reason why there are some many around.

Do they really? maybe early pre-pre facelift ones, but 97+ can have all the kit W210s do.

not a bad thing, all my benzes are update, 202, 208, 210, the 203 is different altogether. and i dont or get any issues with electronics,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom