Why use the 'special' spring compressor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robster_1981

Car
W210 E320 CDI
I'm considering doing my front control arm bushes at some point, and I've heard so many sources insist that you use the special Merc spring compressor. I haven't had a proper look at the job, but I did watch a you tube video today of the job being done on a W202 which had the same set up as the W210, and he used standard spring compressors.

I can't think of a reason why it was essential to use them unless it's because of poor access?

Since the springs are located further in, on a "lever" from the wheel spindle, they are about twice as stiff as springs from e.g. a macpherson strut. You can use standard spring compressors, but they must be sturdy enough for the job. Most aren't, which makes the job very dangerous, as claws can be straightened, and threads strip, which leads to the spring getting loose in your face.

Thanks for the info :) That makes sense now and I assume it is the same reason why I have read reports of broken springs being common.

Has anybody tried dropping the control arm by removing the lower ball joint then lowering it with a trolley jack without a spring compressor?

I once changed the front springs on a W210 without a fully working internal compressor. It was nearly impossible to get the inner bush bolts back in and I nearly lost the car off the lift by pushing it up.
These were Avantgarde springs which are the shorter ones, standard ones would be dangerous.

You won't get the spring out just by lowering the outer end of the wishbone.

Points taken. This is the beauty of car forums IMO. I have done many a job on cars and found out the hard way. It once took me about 5 hours to get a ball joint off an E34 Beemer :ban: I used to have and i DID loose the car off the jack :eek: thankfully, no injuries or damage, other than 2 broken ball joint splitters :wallbash:

Although it may seem like it, I'm not looking for a dangerous way of doing the job, as a Maintenance fitter/spark, I am always looking for easier/alternative ways of doing the job. A colleague of mine has a bionic arm after he tried to cut corners the dangerous way, so believe me, I am well aware of the risks certain jobs carry.

I know these tools can be hired, but I don't know where from and how much? also, since it's off, I may as well change the ball joints while I am at it

Some forum members will hire out their compressor, I believe prosser has one.

Why what is off? The ball joints take ten minutes a side and the spring doesn't get touched while replacing them

Why what is off? The ball joints take ten minutes a side and the spring doesn't get touched while replacing them

Do you not have to split the balljoint off the control arm to remove the arm?

Robster_1981 said:
Do you not have to split the balljoint off the control arm to remove the arm?

Just hit it hard with a hammer and it will release without the need of a splitter.

I did the front wishbone on the previous car without the spring compressor.
Its risky tho but possible :)
Make sure that if you do it when you lower the jack you are on the other side of the wing and that no one is near just in case the spring decide to fly ;)

I did the front wishbone on the previous car without the spring compressor.
Its risky tho but possible :)
Make sure that if you do it when you lower the jack you are on the other side of the wing and that no one is near just in case the spring decide to fly ;)

Put a strong bar through the centre of the spring and down through the wishbone, so even if it does go ping, then it won't fly out anywhere. I've done my 190 and W124 joints and lower arms with no drama.

Put a strong bar through the centre of the spring and down through the wishbone, so even if it does go ping, then it won't fly out anywhere. I've done my 190 and W124 joints and lower arms with no drama.

This is the kind of thing I was talking about :) I work on all kinds of equipment that the manufacturers state in the manual 'special tool' must be used, then when you ask the foreman, you get a blank look followed by the words, just get it effing going! The special tools are just one way of doing things IMO. Granted there are times where certain tools are necessary, but, they are not the be all and end all.

Just my 2 penneth anyway ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom