Why would a car's speed alter its tendency to pull left?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WDB124066

MB Enthusiast
Car
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
I've just had an alignment done and was wondering why the car feels like it wants to go left above approx 70 km/h - and the tendency increases the faster you go. What could be causing this [not tires its always the same even when things are swapped around]....!??

I would take it back to to the garage who did the wheel alignment.

Wheel alignment.

Tony, do you care to comment...??

You may have a seized joint somewhere?

Check the lower ball joints and the steering arms.

Thanks Olly, they [dealership and alignment tech] have checked that and the report is it is all good. ALL new steering, suspension and tires 25000 miles back.

I am running a castor and camber split to help it go straight with 45' castor and 17' camber split. Just at speed when the forces on those control arms go up it wants to go left. At slower round town speeds it feels pretty much OK. Thought it may have something to do with the difference between static and dynamic settings - that sort of thing...??
Swapping tires around makes no difference. They are all Michelins all replaced at the same time with similar wear on them.

Assuming this is a W124 Did they use a spreader bar ?Quote:-

When setting front end alignment, a spreader bar must be used when adjusting the toe. This is a spring loaded bar that forces the front wheels apart with 90-110 NM(66-81 ft-lb) of force. The use of a spreader bar allows the alignment to duplicate driving conditions by preloading the rubber bushings in the suspension. The use of a spreader bar is the only way to get an accurate front end alignment.

Other thing to check --if it hasn't been done ???-------is the rear suspension as there can be a degree of rear steering with increase in speed.

Last edited:
Toe; Yes I bought my own, so sick and tired of finding shops without them over the years was I that I've now got my own.

Suspension; Everything except steering knuckles stubshafts, hubs, steering box & pump Olly. It is probably worth getting a recheck, letting them know why and seeing them do it myself though, as you guys say one bush tight, too loose etc and it could throw things out a bit. Something is moving too far or not enough under load to make it do this I feel.

Last edited:
Toe; Yes I bought my own, so sick and tired of finding shops without them over the years was I that I've now got my own.

Suspension; Everything except steering knuckles stubshafts, hubs, steering box & pump Olly. It is probably worth getting a recheck, letting them know why and seeing them do it myself though, as you guys say one bush tight, too loose etc and it could throw things out a bit. Something is moving too far or not enough under load to make it do this I feel.

Are you saying you bought the spreader bar from Mercedes ?

If so, what's the cost please.

How did you source it - via the local dealer ?

Where you based ? Thanks.

The spreader bar is Beissbarth part number 860 000 883 this is the correct MB tool.

Hunter do one as well, just for the Mercs, they are all the same apparently....!?

As for pricing get a hold of the Hunter importer in the UK or contact Beissbarth directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom