why would a seller "cancel" a completed eBay transaction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Hi all, bit concerned here.
Bought a vehicle on eBay sight unseen, under £4k. Seller, vehicle & description seemed spot-on, good comms.
Picked it up today, nightmare journey you wouldn't believe so was well late getting there and had a commitment later int he day. Looked car over and drove it round the block, seemed ok.
Got home eventually, not convinced rear end is ok, seems to act "weird" - a known trouble spot.
Just had an email from eBay, seller has raised a "cancel sale" issue. He was paid in full (although he voluntarily dropped the price by a drink as it was running on fumes) in cash and I have a full invoice.
He's left lovely feedback too (I haven't yet).
It could be an error of course, but bearing in mind I am not convinced about anyone any more and the fact I had no option but to complete the action as my eBay was effectively locked until I responded, I have declined the cancellation of transaction request and not yet left feedback.
Cheap car yes, but it's all a bit weird, no?

Discuss? TIA

Could be to try and save final sale value fees, have a read up or just ask him ?

1: The car might turn out to be a death trap and he's having second thoughts? :crazy:

2: Maybe he has realised he's left £10,000 under the back seat or a stash of class "A" stuff in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

3: He's worried you might crash without winter tyres on the vehicle. :D

its to get the £20 final valuation fees back

simple as that

just agree and your doing him a favour and taking £20 out of the grubby back stabbing shisters at ebay

Ignore his request. If there's a prob later down the line & you've canceled the transaction you won't have a leg to stand on.

Yep - nothing other than the fees.

Up to you, I wouldn't lose sleep over it though :)

Seller did the same when I bought my car, she told me in advance though. It was to save the fees which I have no problem with, I have a full written receipt.

As others have said, it'll be to save on the £40(!) final valuation fee.

He should have told you what he was going todo, though.

Ignore his request. If there's a prob later down the line & you've canceled the transaction you won't have a leg to stand on.

What legs do you have anyway? If it is a private sale then let the buyer beware.

Picked it up today, nightmare journey you wouldn't believe so was well late getting there

Part of that having to do with me,sorry mate :eek:

As others have said,only so he doesn`t have to pay the fees

It's a trader actually, I have an invoice.
I thought the same as Neil, if I agreed to cancel then as far as eBay are concerned there never was a transaction.

If its a trader you have some statutory protection. Paypal ( and therefore possibly ebay too) excludes vehicles from buyer protection.

Some very strange people on Fleabay (although generally I have had pretty positive experiences). This week, I auctioned a used Kindle ebook - was amazed that the price went up to £85.50 + £3.50 - which is actually the same price you can buy it new from Amazon! Then in the last minute a bid came in for 87.50 which, frankly, was embarrassing!!
However, three days went by and no communication - finally got an email saying she had lost her purse and now couldn't pay! So thanks to this numpty, genuine bidders lost out, my entire auction was wrecked, and I'm back to square one.
I could swing for some people...:wallbash:

Some very strange people on Fleabay (although generally I have had pretty positive experiences). This week, I auctioned a used Kindle ebook - was amazed that the price went up to £85.50 + £3.50 - which is actually the same price you can buy it new from Amazon! Then in the last minute a bid came in for 87.50 which, frankly, was embarrassing!!
However, three days went by and no communication - finally got an email saying she had lost her purse and now couldn't pay! So thanks to this numpty, genuine bidders lost out, my entire auction was wrecked, and I'm back to square one.
I could swing for some people...:wallbash:

2nd chance offer...?

^ Why not offer a 2nd chance offer to the next highest bidder?

re OP - the seller may just save £40, but isn't it still fraud? EBay are offering a marketplace, he is a trader offering his goods in that marketplace, presumably having read and signed up to the rules/fees, and then wants to pretend something didn't happen when it actually did.....

Doesn't work in my world, I'm afraid:eek:

2nd chance offer...?

Yes, going down that route - deafening silence though so far from the first three offers :doh:
Looking like a new auction...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom