Why would ambient lighting stop working!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
Has anyone had trouble with there ambient lighting on there car or the w212 to be more exact?

Mine stopped working a few weeks back. It was working but flickerd suddenly and stayed off. I've tried going through the cluster to adjust the actual light setting, but no joy.

They strange thing is I still have the roof dome lights working when the door opens entering and exiting the car, they are a brighter white colour.

Should add, my ambient lighting is the amber colour. So I have no door card or roof dome ambient lighting. Can't remember if the foot wells have ambient lighting or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you tried changing the ambient lighting to blue to see if that works Tom?

Have you tried changing the ambient lighting to blue to see if that works Tom?

Roger, mine only has the one colour Amber option lol, if I only could get that to work would be a start lol never mind the blue. And other colours that you beast comes with lol

I have looked up the fuses for the ambient lighting, but the same four fuses work the central locking which works fine. So I have no need to pull the fuses for inspection I wouldn't have thought.

Thats a strange one?
I only have the choice of blue or amber, so not like the flash W213's with multicolour choice of ambient lighting.

Thats a strange one?
I only have the choice of blue or amber, so not like the flash W213's with multicolour choice of ambient lighting.

That is a strange one, I thought all the face lifts come with 3 colours or more.

When I go to change the ambient lighting setting. I don't have a colour change option. Only lighting output gauge.

I might still pull the fuses tomorrow, just to take a look.

It's funny how all the ambient lighting has gone out not just one door card so to speak.

Does your light sensor still turn on the exterior lights at night ? Wondering if that has failed so internal lighting just not coming on ? (I think they are probably dependant on it being dark)

R

d
Does your light sensor still turn on the exterior lights at night ? Wondering if that has failed so internal lighting just not coming on ? (I think they are probably dependant on it being dark)

R

I haven't driven at night for a while, but I'm sure my exterior lights come on. Sorry, are we talking headlights? I do have my switch set to auto lights.

Just to add, when I open the door my roof dome lights up, front and rear. But I don't have any ambient lighting from either the front or rear dome or door cards, regarding the ambient lighting.

Thanks

350cls - Yes I mean the headlights.

My thinking is as follows: The different lights are connected to different ECUs (door lights to door controller , etc etc) - so if its all not working its whatever tells/enables the system to come on rather than an individual fuse. . The light sensor (top of windscreen) is used so the car knows whether its dark or light, this is used by the headlights but also other systems. I wondered whether that has failed and is causing car to think "its daylight, no need for extra interior lighting to be on".

To test: You could just start car and stick a thick magazine over the light sensor, headlights should come on after a few seconds,.

R

Im sure my ambient lighting was working during the day and at night. From when I first purchase the car over 1 year ago. As I'm sure i set the setting to maximum 5.

:thumb:
350cls - Yes I mean the headlights.

My thinking is as follows: The different lights are connected to different ECUs (door lights to door controller , etc etc) - so if its all not working its whatever tells/enables the system to come on rather than an individual fuse. . The light sensor (top of windscreen) is used so the car knows whether its dark or light, this is used by the headlights but also other systems. I wondered whether that has failed and is causing car to think "its daylight, no need for extra interior lighting to be on".

To test: You could just start car and stick a thick magazine over the light sensor, headlights should come on after a few seconds,.

R

Thanks Richard, I'll give that a go.:thumb:

So I just done the test, and when I cover the sensor at the top of the screen my headlights do come on. When I remove the cover they do stay on for a short amount of time say 10 seconds maybe not as long as that. Hard to see if the ambient lighting is on as I'm out side the vehicle?

The car does have night vision if that is any helpful information:dk:

Thanks

So I just done the test, and when I cover the sensor at the top of the screen my headlights do come on. When I remove the cover they do stay on for a short amount of time say 10 seconds maybe not as long as that. Hard to see if the ambient lighting is on as I'm out side the vehicle?

The car does have night vision if that is any helpful information:dk:

Thanks
Just stick a tape over the sensor and get in a car. Even if it's a day it should be possible to see if the ambient lightning is on.

Just stick a tape over the sensor and get in a car. Even if it's a day it should be possible to see if the ambient lightning is on.

Good thinking MD, could always grab one of my son's lol but they are to busy playing fortnite :confused:.

But I will give that a go bit later.

:thumb:

Just covered the screen sensor, headlights come on straight away. No ambient lighting at all from either roof dome or door cards, or dash trim.

Not sure where to go with this. Could it be a fuse:dk:.

Still get the brighter dome lights when doors of the car are opened:confused:.

Ive had a quick look at the documentation, Learned something, if you have a crash it turns on the interior lighting to help you see !!

Theres nothing obvious sadly. The front SAM tells the door controllers to turn on or off their lighting if the ambient lighting is activated in the instrument cluster. The same signal turns on the lights on the switches etc.

Do the lights on the switches come on ? I suspect this needs an Xentry Diagnosis session to work out which bit isn't doing the job,

BUT, you could just disconnect the ground on the battery for a few minutes .....

Cheers

Richard

Ive had a quick look at the documentation, Learned something, if you have a crash it turns on the interior lighting to help you see !!

Theres nothing obvious sadly. The front SAM tells the door controllers to turn on or off their lighting if the ambient lighting is activated in the instrument cluster. The same signal turns on the lights on the switches etc.

Do the lights on the switches come on ? I suspect this needs an Xentry Diagnosis session to work out which bit isn't doing the job,

BUT, you could just disconnect the ground on the battery for a few minutes .....

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard, for investigating, I appreciate it.

I'll disconnect the battery one of the days see it if has some sort or a reset process.

Again, thanks

Tom

I'm nearly sure all the switches aluminate. Are we talking on the dash or door cards?

Thanks

Can happily declare I have had the ambient lighting fixed on the car. A really good independent garage that I got recommended to. Not to far away from me. At a very reasonable cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom