Why you could face a HUGE fine if you wear sunglasses while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This new legislation is as clear as category 4 sunglasses...

Shirley unless the rozzer has a lux meter how will they tell?

Strange one this, as up to last year I used to wear fancy Dan Oakley sunglasses whenever I was driving, however I was planning on buying another pair which I found out from the instructions were cat 4 and were not recommended for driving. I checked on my other two pairs and they were both cat 4 as well, however I never had any issues and the increase in contrast that the Oakley's gave were superb even at cat 4. I don't wear them now, I'm on prescription glasses because I couldn't read the dash clearly!

I suppose if you were involved in a serious accident it's something the Police could act on then.....

Polarising lenses are a good example. Me , wife and kids were looking at one of those electronic bill boards in a shop window a while ago and all the missus could see was a blank screen , until she took her sunglasses off. I have a pair or sunglasses (origin unknown) if I put them on in the car the LCD display between the dials on my dashboard becomes unreadable.

I see the latest craze is for people to get their eyeballs inked, that will really confuse plod with their refractometer at the ready [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Well! Really! The next thing you know they will be saying that racing drivers/riders can't see through their dark visors and that 'Ugly kid windows' are dangerous and that blindfolds should not be worn whilst driving.....:rolleyes:

To be honest here. We should not be shocked at this. We have laws that govern window tints, for the same reason.

I have seen people who may as well wear a welders helmet for all the vision their shades afford them.

Vision should be tested more but I am unsure by whom. I suspect we could all name somebody who peers out from behind the windscreen squinting at vague shapes (people).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was nearly T-boned yesterday by an idiot driving a car whose windows were close to black. I suppose he thought it made the car look cool, but I suspect it meant he didn't notice me approaching from his left.

Shirley unless the rozzer has a lux meter how will they tell?

I suspect it will be more of an issue if you are involved in an accident and the rozzers turn up when you're still wearing your incredibly dark glasses. Same would apply to someone not wearing their prescription sunglasses, presumably?

I suspect it will be more of an issue if you are involved in an accident and the rozzers turn up when you're still wearing your incredibly dark glasses. Same would apply to someone not wearing their prescription sunglasses, presumably?
Lol just because you have prescription sunglasses you are not forced to wear them anymore than you are forced to wear normal sunglasses. "Sir it is rather bright today, unless you put on some sunglasses you will be accompanying us to the station and your car will be impounded fortwith" [emoji23]

Lol just because you have prescription sunglasses you are not forced to wear them anymore than you are forced to wear normal sunglasses. "Sir it is rather bright today, unless you put on some sunglasses you will be accompanying us to the station and your car will be impounded fortwith" [emoji23]

forthwith..

I meant "prescription spectacles", not sunglasses. I suspect that would be an issue, even though the police wouldn't know immediately that you are required to wear them, just as they wouldn't know immediately whether your sunglasses were too dark

I remember reading that in the event of a crash police sometimes carry-out a sight test at the roadside for the driver if they have reason to suspect that the driver's eyesight may have been a factor.

Who remembers the guy wearing his little sister's white sunglasses while revving the nuts off his C63 in Sloan Street?

I remember reading that in the event of a crash police sometimes carry-out a sight test at the roadside for the driver if they have reason to suspect that the driver's eyesight may have been a factor.
Right, so if there is a suspicion that dark sunglasses would have been a factor, presumably they could test them or, if not possible at the roadside, take them away for testing

Goof point... clearly the new legislation discriminates against blind people?

Yes, and also think about people who like to drive blindfolded, is they going to be a law about how thick and light proof they have to be?

It's a mad world I tell thee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom