Why you should never put 20" wheels on an S Class !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barry Jones

Back in June, my 2010 W221 S Class was written off following a fairly light front end impact. While working away in Cardiff shortly afterwards, I managed to find a replacement while late night surfing in my hotel room in Cardiff, but the car was in Guildford at Sandown Mercedes.

I reserved the car online with a £500 deposit and travelled over the next day to have a test drive (covid safe one of course)

I took the car out, it drove very well and I bought it. It was delivered all the way to my house in Warrington and it sat on my drive for a few days as I still had an Audi A8 courtesy car. The weekend after it was delivered, I took it out for a spin. The first time I got to motorway speeds on the M62, there was a vibration that could be felt through the whole car. I spoke to MB Guildford and they said to get it into Warrington MB and they would sort it under warranty. Sadly, Warrington MB cancelled the visit due to staff shortages and it was only last week I could get the car in.

The report back was a sickener. Two buckled wheels and a welded repair to the rear offside wheel.

I spoke to MB Guildford who were very apologetic and said it shouldn't have left the showroom like that, especially as it had had 4 new tyres, 4 new disks and all new brake pads fitted by their workshop before it was shipped to me.

Just had a message from MB Guildford saying they are sending a new set of wheels up to Warrington next week and very apologetic for the experience I'd had.

Can't say fairer than that for service. Yes it should have been picked up during the PDI, but as all this happened during lockdown and the pandemic, I think that is pretty amazing service

I have always said it and I'll say it again. S Class Mercedes cars should not be fitted with 20" alloys. The cars are too heavy and there is not enough rubber on the tyres to truly enjoy driving them on UK roads.

I onceScreenshot (721).pngScreenshot (719).png fitted 20" alloys on my 06 W221 and both rear wheels (275 wide) cracked within 12 months.) Stick to 19" wheels and tyres.... far better ride quality

Back in June, my 2010 W221 S Class was written off following a fairly light front end impact. While working away in Cardiff shortly afterwards, I managed to find a replacement while late night surfing in my hotel room in Cardiff, but the car was in Guildford at Sandown Mercedes.

I reserved the car online with a £500 deposit and travelled over the next day to have a test drive (covid safe one of course)

I took the car out, it drove very well and I bought it. It was delivered all the way to my house in Warrington and it sat on my drive for a few days as I still had an Audi A8 courtesy car. The weekend after it was delivered, I took it out for a spin. The first time I got to motorway speeds on the M62, there was a vibration that could be felt through the whole car. I spoke to MB Guildford and they said to get it into Warrington MB and they would sort it under warranty. Sadly, Warrington MB cancelled the visit due to staff shortages and it was only last week I could get the car in.

The report back was a sickener. Two buckled wheels and a welded repair to the rear offside wheel.

I spoke to MB Guildford who were very apologetic and said it shouldn't have left the showroom like that, especially as it had had 4 new tyres, 4 new disks and all new brake pads fitted by their workshop before it was shipped to me.

Just had a message from MB Guildford saying they are sending a new set of wheels up to Warrington next week and very apologetic for the experience I'd had.

Can't say fairer than that for service. Yes it should have been picked up during the PDI, but as all this happened during lockdown and the pandemic, I think that is pretty amazing service

I have always said it and I'll say it again. S Class Mercedes cars should not be fitted with 20" alloys. The cars are too heavy and there is not enough rubber on the tyres to truly enjoy driving them on UK roads.

I onceView attachment 104651View attachment 104652 fitted 20" alloys on my 06 W221 and both rear wheels (275 wide) cracked within 12 months.) Stick to 19" wheels and tyres.... far better ride quality
Great service from MB Guildford, Are they sending a set of 19-inch wheels or repayment 20-inch wheels?

Great service from MB Guildford, Are they sending a set of 19-inch wheels or repayment 20-inch wheels?
They are sending 20", but I still have a set of 19" wheels off my W221 which I fitted 4 brad new Pirelli tyres to 11 days before the accident :(

I'll see how the car rides when the wheels aren't buckled and then decide what to do and whether to replace them with the 19's

I'd say another reason is people trying to buy drugs from you every time you stop😉

The wheels look great in 20” and balance the size of the car well. However, one of the major issues is that people don’t check their tyre pressures regularly as this bushes a huge difference and obviously the sheer state of our terrible roads don’t help. They really should be using forged wheels for the sclass.

Great service from the dealer , well done MB Guildford.

The OP is completely correct

Forged 22s is the correct answer

mercedes-sclass-mono-flangiato-m-1-2015-1.jpg

Several years ago I had the same on an approved used ML, all 4 wheels buckled and had to be replaced with new tyres. MB hope you won't notice!

The OP is completely correct

Forged 22s is the correct answer

mercedes-sclass-mono-flangiato-m-1-2015-1.jpg

Blimey... I bet you feel a bump driving over a matchstick with those on... those tyres look like elsatic bands wrapped round a wheel :)

Mine has 20s and I expect it would feel better on 19s. Mine are forged and it might help.

Style over substance, or substance over style; you pays yer money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom