Why you shouldn't fit aftermarket HID kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know it's an old thread, but I'm a newcomer! I fitted HID 35w bulbs to my GT4 in 2007, passed every MOT but the law was changed after a few years stating that HID bulbs needed a headlamp washer system. HIDs gave them selves away in that they needed 3 to 4 seconds to warm up, so MOT center knew straight away, so simply swapped the bulbs out for MOT! But, about 5 years ago, I got some LED bulbs for the car, as they are instant on, the MOT center never commented once on them, and they always passed their beam pattern test. Still in the car now, and I wouldn't drive without then as they are so much better than that Victorian filament technology...

1. Welcome stephenmercedes.

2. Four months is not 'old thread'... you should see some of the epic thread resurrections we get here from time to time :)

3. The question of what can be spotted during MOT is just one issue. The other issues behind illegal retrofits and modifications in general is that they are (a) well, illegal; (b) potentially unsafe for the driver or for other road users; (c) could invalidate the car's insurance policy as illegal retrofits can't really be declared; and (d) could lend the driver in trouble with the law in case of a serious accident where the police believe that the illegal modification played a part.

In short this forum is not the police... and you can do what you like with your own car, I can only advice against any illegal retrofits or upgrades for the reasons given above. But drivers do need to be aware that simply having past an MOT with the modification in place is not a proof of it being legal....

What is your statement that half the cars on the roads have poorly aligned headlamps based on? I find this surprising especially considering that the aligment is checked annually for the MOT test.
In a previous life I checked testers standards and headlamp aim was frequently assessed incorrectly, mostly aligning the aim tester with the vehicle. Testers often moved the aim tester to make the headlamp aim correct !
The aim test has been simplified, so that the parameters are much wider now. Whether or not this causes an increase in poor aim, I have no idea. So, in my opinion saying that alignment is checked annually doesn't fill me with confidence. Just glad that the tester that tests my vehicles is on the ball.
I hate being blinded by poorly aligned headlamps either from behind or coming towards me and find it better driving a vehicle where I sit higher up.

Light sensor keeps comeing up on my 2003 c200 kompressor coupe BUT all lights are working fine
Any ideas any one

Light sensor keeps comeing up on my 2003 c200 kompressor coupe BUT all lights are working fine
Any ideas any one

Perhaps this would have been better in a new thread specifically for the problem you are having?

It is a new light sensor from Mercedes i fitted it 2months ago
Perhaps check it's fitted correctly?
When you say all the lights work fine do you mean they come on and off automatically depending on the ambient light levels?

Any ideas any one

'Coming up' where?

An error message on the instrument cluster display?

A fault code on STAR or OBDII scanner?

I think that there are two separate light sensors, one for the automatic headlights (if fitted), and one for the internal cabin lights e.g. dimming the COMAND screen etc.

There's also a sun sensor for the aircon.

Must admit, I've never de-subscribed from a thread before, but this is my frst. The insistence on continuing this line of investigation is so against the thread title! Hope you get it sorted, or better still, start a new thread that reflects it's relevance to the content...

I think that there are two separate light sensors, one for the automatic headlights (if fitted), and one for the internal cabin lights e.g. dimming the COMAND screen etc.

There's also a sun sensor for the aircon.
It's the one that is fitted to top of front windscreen

Must admit, I've never de-subscribed from a thread before, but this is my frst. The insistence on continuing this line of investigation is so against the thread title! Hope you get it sorted, or better still, start a new thread that reflects it's relevance to the content...
As has already been suggested in post 67 but is still being ignored.

They are only two kinds of low/high HID kits. One has a HID lamp for the low beam operation and the other is a small halogen used for the high. The other setup is a single HID lamp with a shield controlled by a solenoid.

Any chance you can see inside and determination which you have? When you click the highs, does everything go dark or there is simply no change in the output?

If fitted as a main beam. I can't see the problem.. If we start to look at retro fit LED's in main beam headlights. we need to look at 99% of badly aligned spots also.

If fitted as a main beam. I can't see the problem.. If we start to look at retro fit LED's in main beam headlights. we need to look at 99% of badly aligned spots also.

I actually agree (although at current the law does not allow it).

When I was a lad... HIDs didn't exist yet, and Halogen was the 'new kid on the block'. I used standard 55W bulbs for the dipped beam, and 100W bulbs for the main beam, on the premise that the main beam shouldn't be used anyway in circumstances where it can dazzle other drivers e.g. when there's oncoming traffic or when driving behind another car.

But, alas, upgrading the main beam to LED is currently just as illegal as upgrading the dipped beam, for whatever reason.

I actually agree (although at current the law does not allow it).

When I was a lad... HIDs didn't exist yet, and Halogen was the 'new kid on the block'. I used standard 55W bulbs for the dipped beam, and 100w bulbs for the main beam, on the premise that the main beam shouldn't be used anyway on circumstances when there's oncoming traffic or when driving behind another car.

Same here. I owned a Renault 12 TS when I was a lad. The headlight were refereed to as Kangaroo type.(not sure if thats an official name). The main beams comprised on two bulbs. 1 x H4 and another H1. They came on together via a factory fitted switch on the dash. They blew everything else of the time away. All made by Cibie or course.

I find it incredible that in 2014 Mercedes thought it ok to fit my car with LED dipped beams and Halogen mains. When both on together it's like looking at two totally different cars driving down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom